Tottenham Hotspur v Southampton (6th Aug) (3pm)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

What a game! That was a great performance today and really there was almost never a doubt that we were coming back. The atmosphere was really good and the crowd was lively throughout.

As far as gameplay, I thought the team looked really solid and aside from their goal, they didn’t have many opportunities at all. Hugo did make a good stop to keep it 3-1 (I think) though. He’s such a good shot stopper. When Kulusevski rinsed that defender, it was magical. He’s just so good, and might be my favourite player. Props to the guy behind me trying to get the “Gimme a ginger from Sweden” going after the goal, alas it wasn’t to be!

I didn’t make it to the Shelf Bar, which is my one disappointment. I’d love to have met some of you on here and believe me, next time I’ll make that happen if you’re still willing.

My one question is about the “When the Spurs” chat. At the old WHL it was slower, and would have a section at the end of repetition. That seems to have disappeared now. Maybe that’s due to the pure size of the stadium? Just something I noticed.

Don't you believe it - lots of new shirts, both home and away - in evidence at the ground today.

I hate to say it…but those away shirts are pretty bad and I couldn’t pull the trigger. I don’t love the strip, so I didn’t buy one of those either (almost went back and bought a Kulu one though, to be fair!). I didn’t see any thirds in the shop today.

With all due respect, Emerson had a great game today. I get that he sometimes isn't that great, but today wasn't one of those games. IMO, you have to give credit when it's due.
Yes, yes it was. He had a great second half, but this thread was full of exaparated Spurs fans begging for Spence to be subbed on for the entire first half.

He had countless crosses go nowhere.

Firstly, thanks to Spurs_1987 Spurs_1987 for putting up the stream for the match, I've just finished watching it.

An excellent performance I felt. Their goal came against the run of play in a game that we largely dominated from start to finish. Defensively I felt we were excellent. Whilst they may have had a few chances, they were all really half chances, with Lloris only really being tested in the 73rd minute. Sessegnon was excellent, his personal duel with KWP, who I thought was the best player in the Southampton side, was on of the highlights of the game. Long may Sess continue that kind of form.
Diet and Davies were both solid, calm and in control, whilst Cuti was just another level. Seriously World Class.
This brings me into Royal. Having read through the match thread in real time, you'd have thought he was having an absolute stinker. The reality is that he was largely excellent throughout the game, with the one blemish being him going to ground too early for their goal. Those that were digging him out need to give their heads a serious wobble.

Bentancur was imperious in the middle, his calmness, ability to take the ball and distribute in tight areas, his half turn receiving, which no one seems to be able to read... I love watching this guy play.

Hojbjerg I felt was reasonable, although he did ping some lovely through balls in at times, and it was his "assist before the assist" that led to one of our goals (can't remember which one).

Kane isn't quite up to speed yet, but deserved a goal today I felt. If So hadn't been so single minded, he would have too.

With regard to Son, whilst I don't necessarily think he had a poor game, it was well below par for his standards. His finishing was poor, but he was getting into the right place at the right time, so that'll come, of that I have no doubt.

Lastly, Kulusevski. What. A. Player. Worked his socks off from the first minute until his last, intelligent movement, intelligent passing, defending, attacking, assisting and scoring. He has the intelligence, the work rate and the ability to go to the very top of the game. There aren't enough superlatives to do this boy justice. Fantastic Footballer.

Overall, a very enjoyable watch. I saw some comments in the match thread describing Southampton as "shit." They weren't, they were simply outclassed and outworked by a team that really didn't get to top gear throughout the match.

Just got caught up. I was apprehensive about this match, and had a feeling we're gonna have a poor start to the season. And of course conceding that early goal just added more fuel to that, but very pleased to be reminded that this team is genuinely strong and resilient.
There are still some issues, like not keeping possession very well in midfield (the age old problem) and some nerves at the back. But overall, this was a very reassuring and satisfying way to kickstart the campaign and definitely calmed those familiar worries. Early days and all that of course.

I do hope we do a bit more business before closing. I don't think we have enough top quality to really go for the biggest prizes.

Maybe there was some melting but most of you on this forum go absolutely psycho the moment anyone utters a negative word about the team. Someone says "team's looking disorganised" and 5 people will jump in and say "OH SO YOU THINK THE SEASON IS A BUST DO YOU?????" Fucking wankers.

We were pretty fucking dire the first 20 mins or so. The goal was so typical of a lot of goals we've conceded over the years.

It's great that team woke up and started playing after that but there was good reason to be worried for a while. Not like we've not had games that started like that and ended like that too.
Utter rubbish. We were dominant, barring the odd 5 minute spell, from the first minute. Their goal was well against the run of play. We simply carried on as we'd started and the goals followed.

Gonna have to get myself a hat,
Lauren Bacall Fashion GIF

Great start to the season. While Kane and Son were not at their best, the team as a whole looked really solid. Kulu was a colossus. I'm really pleased for Emerson. He comes in for a lot of stick, and I've been as guilty of that as much as anyone, but today he played very well overall. Particularly in the second half.

My confidence in the team is at its highest since peak Poch.

Yes, yes it was. He had a great second half, but this thread was full of exaparated Spurs fans begging for Spence to be subbed on for the entire first half.

He had countless crosses go nowhere.
He had 3 crosses attempted all game. He created 2 chances, had an assist, 86% passes completed, 7 clearances and 2 completed dribbles while registering a rating over 8.5 by most sources.

Just like during the match, you are completely talking out of your ass and just trying to find negatives. Emerson was not perfect, but he was very, very good.

Why not look at Son if you want to find any negatives? Or Kane who was barely a threat?

Emerson is just a scapegoat for people just like Hojbjerg.

Deki man of the match for me. Excellent display today. He literally demanded the ball from Emerson because he absolutely had no doubt in his ability to stick it in the back of the net. Which he did with aplomb.

Fave chant today was Eric’s. Got a rousing rendition when he was back defending in front of the South Stand after he scored.

Harry appeared more than a little narked with Sonny on a couple of occasions today. Thought he (Harry) had some excellent touches under huge pressure. Holding the ball up brilliantly and managing to find a team mate.

Ivan looked well up for it when he came on. Sess looks to have come on in bounds, Hot Rod (TM Mrs P) and Højbjerg both had pretty solid games in the middle with the odd mishap which can definitely be forgotten and forgiven considering the overall performance and score line.

All in all a pretty bloody good start to the season. Keep it up chaps. COYS!

Back
Top Bottom