Tottenham Hotspur v. Swansea (H) - The Wayne Routledge Derby

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I didn't see the game today as I am sunning it up in Turkey (blatant). However even without watching the game it is fairly obvious that there is absolutely no need for these ridiculous knee jerk reactions.

By the sounds of it, we created a pretty decent number of chances today, especially in the first half. I agree that we lack a bit of creativity through the middle of the park but that doesn't mean we don't create anything. On top of that fact, we are actively seeking to strengthen our squad and a creative player or two are probably top of our list.

People also seem to forget that we scored 5 from open play in midweek, albeit against a poor Tbilisi side but you can only beat what is in front of you.

I also think that if Jermain Defoe was in Soldado's boots right now a number of people would be blaming him rather than the lack of creativity. That isn't to say it's Soldado's fault, it is to say that some of you are very fickle.

From what I have seen so far this season, we are fairly well set. A few more signings wouldn't go a miss; Chiriches, Lamela and Eriksen would pacify my needs.

I've been mighty impressed with Capoue, Paulinho looks as if he could be a real asset. Soldado is gonna score goals no doubt. Chadli looks solid so far but nothing special yet, early days I guess.

Oh and @ TheLutonYid TheLutonYid it's would have, could have and should have not would of, should of and could of.

We are missing a playmaker big time mate. Our performance wasn't bad. Far from it but we are lacking creativity.

We are missing a playmaker big time mate. Our performance wasn't bad. Far from it but we are lacking creativity.

Exactly my point fella, I said we need some creativity. As others have said that is nothing new. We didn't have one last season, if any of you cunts suggest Bale is a playmaker I'll feed ya to the pigs.

We are going to have a monster season and really contend.
2POwU12.gif

Exactly my point fella, I said we need some creativity. As others have said that is nothing new. We didn't have one last season, if any of you cunts suggest Bale is a playmaker I'll feed ya to the pigs.

Oh come on cerable. Bale is exactly that.

The player that can open up a teams defences.

FFS.

So you list of gripes from today:

1. No service to Bob.
2. No CAM.
3. Wingers were shit.
4. Lloris can't kick straight.
5. We played three CDM.
6. Both goals from the first two games came from pens.
7. In stadium TV was the wrong aspect ratio (the fuck?)

Have I missed anything?

Right bundle of larfs ain't ya?
I would go with number seven as number one.

But playing three defensive midfielders is just insanity..

Never advocated that. Paulinho is not a DM but Sandro & Capoue are too similar, maybe. I was just saying that based on today, goals will come. We made some very good chances. Agree that another attacking midfielder is needed but we are trying. That's all there is to say really.

I didn't get to see the game until late, as it was held off to show the citeh game on the jamaican channel we get here in Bermuda. I hope there has been some introspection from the Townsend is the new messiah crowd, now that we have seen his limitations against a workmanlike left back of premiership standard, as well as querying of the choice of which wings he and Chadli played on.
For me Rose again showed that he is not as good as BAE, certainly where crossing is concerned, and that apart from a bizarre attempted backheel and one wayward pass, Dawson doesn't hoof the ball 50 yards on every clearance.
Felt sorry for Soldado, who might as well have sat in the west stand and had a smoke.
Hey 2 games, 2 clean sheets - 6 points, and we still look solid and comfortable. Whats not to like?

We didn't play 4-5-1. We played 4-3-3 ... Chadli and Townsend were playing as wide forwards with Rose and Walker providing the width outside of them, with the CM's defensively covering the space behind them. It was about as textbook 4-3-3 as you can see.

Chadli was terrific today - he constantly played the ball into dangerous positions (6 key passes) and defending from the front brilliantly, often breaking up play before it even got the halfway line. I thought along with Paulinho and Townsend he was our best player.

We're going to play a more muscular, direct style. Quite honestly it's going to take the fans more time to adjust to this than the team, it appears.

I didn't get to see the game until late, as it was held off to show the citeh game on the jamaican channel we get here in Bermuda. I hope there has been some introspection from the Townsend is the new messiah crowd, now that we have seen his limitations against a workmanlike left back of premiership standard, as well as querying of the choice of which wings he and Chadli played on.
For me Rose again showed that he is not as good as BAE, certainly where crossing is concerned, and that apart from a bizarre attempted backheel and one wayward pass, Dawson doesn't hoof the ball 50 yards on every clearance.
Felt sorry for Soldado, who might as well have sat in the west stand and had a smoke.
Hey 2 games, 2 clean sheets - 6 points, and we still look solid and comfortable. Whats not to like?
Townsend had another very good game.

Play fucking 442!

this 451 is shit
You are aware that the 4-3-3/4-5-1/4-2-3-1 (whatever you want to call it) that we are playing is more attacking than a 4-4-2. Our tactic leaves us with three at the back when we attack. Anywhere between 1-5 strikers depending on what part of play we are currently in (bulding up an attack/finishing one). 2 Proper wingers in our FB's, 2 auxilliary wingers in our wide men of the furthest forward 3 that also act as auxilliary strikers a lot of the time. and two alternating playmakers/box bombers. We also have two deep playmakers in the guise of Capoue and JV who know how to play the ball forward at the right time to the right person. To sum it all up, an actual footballing team.

In attack in a 4-4-2 we end up with one deep striker who's largely only there to nod it on to the second striker and make late runs into the box. One striker who's chasing drop downs and being in the box early. 2wingers who don't really support the strikers in any other way than crosses and the occasional through ball. 2DM's as you need to cover up for the missing man in the middle/hole. 2 deep defensive wingers in the shape of our FB's who will make the occasional overlap and two CB's who end up being a support solution to the two DM's.

In conclusion, with a 4-4-2 you might have two strikers, but they will be so isolated from the rest of the team you have to resort to hoofing it into the head of the biggest one of them and hoping you can push on from him winning the lottery ball.
Whilst in a central 3man-midfield you can actually build an attack from the back and pretty much always be a man up on your opposition where ever the ball may be on the pitch.

I thought that apart from his run into the box that was a penalty I thought he was largely anonymous - with the exception of the cringeworthy and blantant dive to win the penalty. He was no better than I expected him to be. Not bad by any measure, but nothing special.
Another example of how people see games and performances differently. Fascinating

Another example of how people see games and performances differently. Fascinating
Its not a complaint, he influenced the game and arguably won it for us. I'm not happy that it happened that way, but I am happy we won.
It was a good team performance, and a better one in many ways than the palace game, despite the similarities in achieving the win.

Soldado was very islolated today and there was a big gap between out midfielders and him. There was no number 10 to link midfield and attack which was needed as Chadli and Townsend spent a lot of time out wide. Townsend had a good game today, but there's no need to go overboard

Remember Soldado holding it up well one or two times, thinking of the time he won a fk near the corner of paxton and shelf. Defoe a couple of times as well, did well to control a ball and bring it down into play, but you can't use strikers like them two and hope for chances to be made that way.

Back
Top Bottom