Summer 2022 Transfer Thread.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Nice little clip of Bastoni vs Lazio earlier this year. Looks quite aggressive and has a decent cross on him too. Him and Romero, front-foot defenders bombing forward...

Can't help getting my hopes up after the club's recent swell of momentum. Feels good.

Nice little clip of Bastoni vs Lazio earlier this year. Looks quite aggressive and has a decent cross on him too. Him and Romero, front-foot defenders bombing forward...

Can't help getting my hopes up after the club's recent swell of momentum. Feels good.

He looks so good as an initiator in a back 3. Long range goal, long range assist, tons of 1-2s while advancing down the left- basically the perfect Conte LCB we could possibly ask for.

It is said Spurs will be in the market for 2 central defenders if they are able to move on one of Sanchez/Tanganga along with Rodon.

Bastoni and a PL veteran like Tarkowski would be great!

And if Levy is able to flog off Winks for 25 mil, then really don't see why milinkovic-savic can't be lured into joining Conte's project

And to those who were hoping for a minor miracle...bare a rather big "miracle" he won't join Spurs anytime soon.
Real M. have missed out on both Mbappe and Haaland and they'll most probably miss out on Rafael Leão as well. Except for the Barca stars, they used to get any star they set their sights on.
And I don't feel any pity for them

Why? They already have Tierney locking down the spot- right?

One who seems to be flying under the radar a bit is Hickey- a right-footed RB who by all accounts thrived over a full season in Serie A as a LB. I think we might want to be taking a closer look at him. That sort of flexibility is invaluable.
Tierney is injured 1/2 season

Remember the late 2000s where everyone was buying Woolwich's best players (City, United, Chavs, Barca etc) for very little money? That's what we'd be like without Levy.
I’m all for shitting on Woolwich but let’s not pretend they didn’t have a brand new stadium to pay off at that period of time. One of the things we benefited from when building our gaff at the time we did was the fact that the amount of money the Prem gives you at season’s end in prize money was soooo much bigger than money they got in the 2000s.

Ivan Perišić highlights from 2021-22.
Like a few on here, I am a bit concerned about his age, 33, but his skills, versatility and experience could really help Spurs for at least another 2 seasons. And he knows Conte's system.
I would however play him as RB (he is right-footed after all), the main reason being because there seem to be less quality of RWBs than LWBs available. He could keep that RWB spot until Spence - or whoever Spurs decide to sign - would be ready; and he can also fill in at other positions.

Last edited:
Remember the late 2000s where everyone was buying Woolwich's best players (City, United, Chavs, Barca etc) for very little money? That's what we'd be like without Levy.
With the late 2000s, I presume you mean the early 2000s.
It wasn't very little money Woolwich got for their sales back then.
Overmars (who was a flop at Barca) cost £25m, which made him the most expensive Dutch player at the time
At the age of 30, Henry cost Barca £24m. He also did not perform well there. Petit was 30, Sanchez 30, van Persie 29, Vermaelen 29, Kolo 29, when they left Woolwich.
Wenger only extended contracts to players over 30 with 1 year at a time. Below is a list of the big sales under Wenger, and many of those players were 30 or close to 30s when they were sold. It sounds like very good business to me.

Oxlade-Chamberlain to Liverpool for €42
Anelka to Real M for €39
Fabregas to Barca for €37m
Song to Barca for €20m
Petit to Barca for €15m
Vermaelen to Barca for €20m
Adebayor to Man City for €32m
Nasri to Man City for €30m
Kolo Toure to Man City for $20m
Alexis Sanchez to Man Utd for €37m
van Persie to Man Utd for €34m
Walcott to Everton for €25m

Last edited:
I’m all for shitting on Woolwich but let’s not pretend they didn’t have a brand new stadium to pay off at that period of time. One of the things we benefited from when building our gaff at the time we did was the fact that the amount of money the Prem gives you at season’s end in prize money was soooo much bigger than money they got in the 2000s.
It was also much cheaper to build back then and Woolwich was a bigger brand than Spurs are now.

It cost 600 million less mind you , but then it’s not a patch on ours

Allegedly (or so I read somewhere) we bought Gough for say £700k and Rangers bid £1m (making him first ever Scottish £1m player) which we felt we couldn't turn down making a healthy profit after one season as player wanted to leave for prestige reasons.

Huge shame for us

Not for here really but David Pleat goes into it in his spurs show interview. It is quite an interesting listen. It was to do with his wife wanting to go back to Scotland and a bit about the financials. But what I didnt know was that when we signed Gough it was between him and Terry Butcher. Pleat wanted Butcher but Scoular wanted Gough because of his age and the possibility of selling him on.

Not for here really but David Pleat goes into it in his spurs show interview. It is quite an interesting listen. It was to do with his wife wanting to go back to Scotland and a bit about the financials. But what I didnt know was that when we signed Gough it was between him and Terry Butcher. Pleat wanted Butcher but Scoular wanted Gough because of his age and the possibility of selling him on.
Very interesting.

I'd always heard that Gough's wife threw a tantrum on the morning of the cup final. May be garbage.

The next bit will seem incomprehensible to anyone younger than 35 - Rangers and Celtic were SOOOOO massive at the time that if one of them came calling for a Scottish player, that was basically it. Durie ditto, once Rangers made an offer he was so star struck he could hardly walk straight (cue some jokes here).

Didn't know about Butcher. I'd have preferred him. I saw both Div 1 matches v Coventry and each time Regis and co gave Gough a torrid time, esp away in a 4-3.. I remember being annoyed when Leeds threw the semi late on for that reason.

Back
Top Bottom