January 2022 - Transfer Window

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

There’s absolutely no subtlety to what anyone is seeing with Traore.

He’s arguably (and statistically) the single best player on planet earth at taking players on and beating them with a dribble. And he’s utterly Champo at everything else.

The subtlety comes with figuring out how valuable such a player is toward competing at the top end of the PL.

I’m deeply uncertain myself, I can see it both ways.
Wolves winning goal today started with him. That's what he would bring that nobody else seems to do.

It won't happen but Lukaku would be a more than capable alternative.

Capable of replacing his goals if given the right service, sure. But he won't get the same service here currently. He also doesn't have Kane's overall ability. He's also a mercenary. Soon upsets the apple cart wherever he goes.

Would still prefer Lamptey over him, even so. But I don't think for a moment Traore see's himself as a Right Wing-Back for them, us or anybody.

Lamptey would be 2-3x the price and isn't exactly an end product machine himself.

Traore has played RWB in the past and I'm sure would be fine doing it again. He excels in many of the areas you need from that role, but has big deficiencies which let him down as a RF. If we sign him I don't see Conte viewing him as an attacking player at all.

He will be Conte's new 'Moses' if we get him. A RW/RM who struggles with end product but is physical and good in 1v1's. His job would simply be to provide the width, and he's got twice the ability in these areas that Moses did.

Lamptey would be 2-3x the price and isn't exactly an end product machine himself.

Traore has played RWB in the past and I'm sure would be fine doing it again. He excels in many of the areas you need from that role, but has big deficiencies which let him down as a RF. If we sign him I don't see Conte viewing him as an attacking player at all.

He will be Conte's new 'Moses' if we get him. A RW/RM who struggles with end product but is physical and good in 1v1's. His job would simply be to provide the width, and he's got twice the ability in these areas that Moses did.

Lamptey is a natural there though. Traore isn't even if he has played there on occasions. Though I'd certainly prefer him to play there than as one of our front three.

But I just think signing him first before anyone else, considering what we're desperate for, would be extremely under-whelming unless we're getting him for little or swapping someone like Bergwijn or Alli for him.

For me we already have too many players lacking end product without adding another.

Lamptey is a natural there though. Traore isn't even if he has played there on occasions. Though I'd certainly prefer him to play there than as one of our front three.

But I just think signing him first before anyone else, considering what we're desperate for, would be extremely under-whelming unless we're getting him for little or swapping someone like Bergwijn or Alli for him.

For me we already have too many players lacking end product without adding another.

I think we'd be signing him first (if it happens .. no real serious indication it's on yet anyway!) just because of opportunism. He's running his contract down and we can get him on the cheap, so it's a punt on a player with ability who is similar to others Conte has moulded in to very useful players before.

If a genuine top attacker who provides goals/assists was available like that too, I'm sure we'd be all over it. Someone like Raphinha would be the dream, or a proper central midfielder. But in January we're limited really, and Traore appears gettable unlike others.

But hey .. it's the last I'll say on him until the transfer rumours develop.

Hey Beech Beech ...⬆️........Says the creep who just randomly searched out and disagreed with 10 of my recent posts because I happened to disagree with one of his!

Laughter Lol GIF by funk
Two of mine, actually. Same amount I disagrees with as regards to Beech Beech .

Learn to count. Oh dear. I’ll leave you be now.

Can’t wait til we sign Traore. 😎

Last edited:
TOTTENHAM are tracking a couple of Juventus stars but opinions are divided on which one would be the best signing, according to reports in Italy.
Tottenham manager Antonio Conte likes the look of midfielder Weston McKennie but the club's sporting director Fabio Paratici wants forward Dejan Kulusevski, says Juve news website ilbianconero.com.

I sure hope it's a friendly disagreement...

I actually feel a bit bad for him, and don't doubt he'd get back to being an above average PL full back if played every week in a manner that suits him. A return to Wolves (+some cash) and Traore coming the other way would be a good deal for all parties involved.
I agree about doc, but so far it’s just ITK’s no credible journalism on it. So I think it’s bullshit.

I don’t get why wolves would even want him back.

Wolves winning goal today started with him. That's what he would bring that nobody else seems to do.

So our goals when scored start with nobody?

I never knew this, but it's fucking cool how we manage to do that isn't it!

I agree about doc, but so far it’s just ITK’s no credible journalism on it. So I think it’s bullshit.

Yeah, not convinced the Wolves part is true (though hey, it could be) but it's definitely obvious he's being pushed out the door as hard as possible; it's too soon to give up on Emerson but we're actively looking for a RWB, so logically...

I actually feel a bit bad for him, and don't doubt he'd get back to being an above average PL full back if played every week in a manner that suits him. A return to Wolves (+some cash) and Traore coming the other way would be a good deal for all parties involved.
Just didn't really work out for him here. Should have never bought him to play in 4 and by the time we switched to wingbacks his confidence was totally destroyed. He'll be fine elsewhere.

Perhaps they have no back-up and need #2.... The part I don't get from that tweet is "Doherty being told he's heading back to Wolves. Didn't go down well with him".....

As if he has no say in the matter and we just dumped him on their doorstep and said "laterz Matt".

Back
Top Bottom