Summer 2013 Transfer Window DISCUSSION Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel comfortable with Benteke! I have this feeling he will step up his game to prove himself in a big boys team. Plus, he has Dembele and Jan as teammates witch might make him even more confident.
Yes, Benteke is the right move Imo!

Please, make it happen Levy

What is interesting is the amount of home grown players they have, technically good players - never heard of Villas academy being recognised before but it seems it should be.

Quite good at signing young HG players too. I really like that Westwood they have there. Possibly not a Top 4 quality player but definitely good enough for a Top 8 team.

Moyes said last year , he is a fantastic player but i think he will never really cut it in the EPL. After 60 minutes we look at him and he almost always asks to be replaced. Needs to show some grit. For Belgium its the same thing , he cant go that extra mile. If we have him on the right side in stead of Lennon we will have to rely on Walker alone to do all the defensive work ...

I stand by my assesment , he is a pussy. With skills, speed and a nose for goals like that you should be able to bring something extra. IF De Bruyne is ready for action he always plays for Belgium and Mirallas drops to the bench. He is the kind of player that can do incredible stuff but no consitency. Easy on the eye playing style but cant get stuck in when it matters. Something Hazard has picked up on more than Mirallas.

But i must say that i am biased , i hate players that cant take a bit of phyiscality in their play. Thats what i admire about Messi , he can take a beating. Same with Mata, Hazard and Silva. they will never be Roy Keane as much as Roy Keane would never have the skills they posess but at least they have a never say die attitude.
What about Chaldi???

Not sure I agree with that...done fantastically well to get Norwich into the top flight and keep them there. Has had a tough job to do at Villa with limited funds available as well. Tactically he is decent and has an eye for a good footballer.

Sarcasm doesn't read to well on the internet . . .

:parkerhmm:

I almost pressed dislike, but I guess I shouldn't shoot the messenger.

I think Messi has been on the cover enough, he needs to fuck off. I can understand catering to the Latin market with Chicharito though.

I have to say I would prefer Chicharito to Benteke.

I wonder if a cheeky 15m would be enough to prise him off bug eyes.

Actually I could see Benteke and little pea playing well in the same side but I'm not sure we will see 2 up front for a while.

Benteke is not the slightest bit like Bent and the only reason people are saying so is because they have similar names and are from the same club. That type of logic is the same type as we deride in journalism with all their lazy logic.

1) Benteke was the fourth leading scorer in the Prem last year behind only Bale, Suarez, and RVP with 19 goals in 34 league appearances, 23 goals in 39 total appearances (50% of Villa's output) and 6 goals in 10 appearances during the 12/13 season as the first choice for the Belgian national team. His success for Belgium squashes the extremely questionable argument about his success only being due to Villa's direct playing style.

2) He is 22 years old and could be a key player for years to come. Through Levy's eyes he could end up having massive sell on value.

3) He is extremely valuable in buildup play. He had 47 key passes in 34 EPL appearances last year. In terms of true line leading strikers only Suarez, RVP, Lambert, and Tevez had more. This is also playing for a team that spent many games getting dominated in possession. That's also 9 more than Negredo (who had 2 apps than Benteke) and 19 more than Soldado's 28 in 35 appearances. But since they are Spanish they get the benefit of the doubt. Does that sound like Darren Bent to you?

4) He is an absolute beast in the air winning almost 8 aerial duels a game. Think about how awful some of our set pieces were and how many great crosses went begging because of how poor Defoe and Adebayor are in the air. Having a guy like Benteke makes Bale, Lennon, Walker, BAE, Siggy and whoever else can hit a cross that much more dangerous.

5) He is a massive and elite athlete that is tailored perfectly to being a line leading number 9.

Bottom line is that the striker market is massively inflated. You're either buying an unproven player from a lower league Bony (12m), Altidore (12m), Van Wolfswinfel (10m), the quoted 20m+ for Damaio, and there are plenty more examples. Or the alternative is spending huge on proven players like Torres, Carroll, Tevez, Aguero, Suarez, Higuan, Jovetic, etc. In addition all these guys want massive wages with the big transfer fee.

In Benteke you have an extremely well rounded center forward who is 22 years old and was a top 5 scorer in the league. His fee is high but not nearly as high as the top level guys. If he replicates his form of last season his value could double. Plus, he will want sensible wages around 60 or 70k unlike the probably 120k that David Villa wanted.

Scoop Benteke up as quick as possible IMO. He's the best possible striker out there for us and I think the combination of stats, age, and price back that up.

Well colour me convinced. Sign him up. :levyeyes:

I have to say I would prefer Chicharito to Benteke.

I wonder if a cheeky 15m would be enough to prise him off bug eyes.

Actually I could see Benteke and little pea playing well in the same side but I'm not sure we will see 2 up front for a while.
Benteke would fit it us 10x better then Chicharito because we need a complete striker. Chicharito is just a poacher, Benteke is the real deal. Big, stong, good at holding up play, knows how to score, and he also adds an aerial threat to our team. He won 8 aerial duels per game last year, that's just a ridiculous stat. Chicharito knows how do score, but is subpar at everything else. I can't believe anybody would want him over Benteke.

Only Spurs fans could moan for years about not signing a quality striker and then complain when we're apparently about to sign last seasons 4th highest scorer.

I really hope we sign him, be a huge signing for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom