A Proper Harry Kane Poll, with no silly options.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Do you support Kane going on strike ?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Kane will most likely leave with or without our support or condemnation. But it would just set another bad example after Bale, Modric, and Berbatov. How can us fans and the team feel assured by the terms of the contract if yet another one of our best players can just up and leave by pulling a strike. Kane is not the first one to do so, but surely will not be the last if this kinda move is excused by the supporters of the club.

Kane will most likely leave with or without our support or condemnation. But it would just set another bad example after Bale, Modric, and Berbatov. How can us fans and the team feel assured by the terms of the contract if yet another one of our best players can just up and leave by pulling a strike. Kane is not the first one to do so, but surely will not be the last if this kinda move is excused by the supporters of the club.

Contract doesnt guarantee anything other than we can get market rate. All our previous sales such as Bale the buying by club paid the rate, City however look like they are trying to use Kane to force a lowball and that is where I expect the club to say no.

not sure what point you are trying to make.

Levy is running the club under Lewis' direction.

If he started lashing out on galactico's and big salaries, Lewis will put someone in who does what he's told.

We are all fans and want the club to compete and win things

But we are competing against 2 clubs with bottomless reservoirs of money, and another 2 clubs with a management system that recognises that to make more money, there has to be a degree of on field success - and those 2 clubs have a bigger revenue stream than we do.

Tell me why we are the 8th (?) most financially viable in world football, despite having won feck all since Pontious was a Pilot?
It's because Levy knows how to get blood out of a stone, so yes he is more hands on - because that's his bloody job! He works for Lewis who sits in the Bahamas watching his bank account get bigger.

Take a look at these lists (last 20 years)
Premier League Winners by Year | My Football Facts (1 anomaly)
List of EFL Cup finals - Wikipedia (5 anomalies)
FA Cup Winner List (3 anomalies)

so with the exception of 9 occasions in the last 20 years the winners have all come from MUFC,LFC, CFC and MCFC and AFC

we are one of the exceptions

We rank 6th in the English leagues for most titles/cups won, behind the 5 above

Nothing will change until we either get a sheikh, or a mandate is issued that all clubs have to have UK owners, and that only money earned by the clubs can be used to pay salaries and transfers

This is football now

ENIC are going nowhere, until the club is sold and Lewis is no longer part of its ownership.

At that point we need a sheikh - or we will be consigned to also ran status.
Agree with all that above, but don’t underestimate what a hindrance Levy is…. Lack of leadership, micromanagement, god awful football decisions etc etc. They are both as bad as each other

Would we rival City if Levy left? No

could we improve (even with Lewis)? Yes

Why didn't Kane's agent have it put in the contract? answer because he's an idiot .... you can't know what a verbal agreement says (clue is in the name) because it's not written down, both sides will no doubt have their own version of what was said ....
That’s my point

amateurish from agent/lawyer as Levy has done this with Modric and others eg reneged

Contract doesnt guarantee anything other than we can get market rate. All our previous sales such as Bale the buying by club paid the rate, City however look like they are trying to use Kane to force a lowball and that is where I expect the club to say no.
Contract guarantees not to sell even at the market rate, unless there’s a buyout clause.

Agree with all that above, but don’t underestimate what a hindrance Levy is…. Lack of leadership, micromanagement, god awful football decisions etc etc. They are both as bad as each other

Would we rival City if Levy left? No

could we improve (even with Lewis)? Yes
how do you know any of that is true?
Do you work there?

Levy doesn't pick the team, or choose tactics, so the last one is not true, how can you possibly say he micromanages things, you would have to be an employee who gets constantly corrected/over ridden by him to say that, and I would say that Levy is really good leader - just not one who wants to spend time appeasing fans by spunking the company profits on transfers and inflated salaries. The companies valuation is a monument to his business acumen and leadership.

The club is incredibly well run as a business, they just don't sink enough of the proceeds into the team to make fans happy.

Apart from the fans who are accountants, who love a good balance sheet.

Levy's biggest failures
- not listening to Pochettino and backing him with quality player replacements.
- Constantly trying to squeeze the last drop out of transfer negotiations, and screwing them up.
- Hiring Mourinho who made my eyes bleed

the last one is personal

Obviously, there's nothing in the contract.

But if there was a "gentlemen's agreement", I'm sure that Levy would have made it clear that Harry could only leave if an acceptable offer came in.
Of course, that begs the question of what an acceptable offer actually is.
And a gentleman’s agreement not being worth the paper it wasn’t written on

Harry is playing the game he has to play because Levy is a useless and dishonest piece of shit. H has given incredible service to us and we’ve fucked up at least three times when we had a pretty easy opportunity to cement a place at the top table. Take the money and let him move on. We might get him back when he’s won something if we play it right.
For which H has been very well paid and has access to some of the best training facilities in the World

Oh did I mention that he’s on a 6yr contract and is only halfway through and hasn’t submitted a transfer request

All on H I’m afraid this one

People cry about how agents are sleazy etc etc, but players need smart agents or their client can get stuck in a contract they dont want like kane is. In the end all parties are doing whats best for them. Levy tricked them with the gentlemans agreement. Theyve made their move and hes going on strike. Interesting to see how this will all end.
How do you know Levy tricked him any more than how do you know what the agreement was about or when?

Pure speculation

Why didn't Kane's agent have it put in the contract? answer because he's an idiot .... you can't know what a verbal agreement says (clue is in the name) because it's not written down, both sides will no doubt have their own version of what was said ....
Well, a verbal agreement is an agreement nonetheless. Although I am sure if it was written down it would not be a legally binding agreement. Kane's team calls it a gentlemen's agreement, stupid wording to be leaked, they should have just said an agreement. A gentlemen's agreement by definition means they never expected Levy to be bound by the terms. It is just a promise. Everything is so amateurish.
I think both sides would agree with what was said. They appear to disagree over what a good offer constitutes.

Kane should have told Grealish not to sign until he did. Grealish rumor at 100 mil makes it hard for City to offer anything less than 150 without seeming foolish.

Anyone who says yes is not a Spurs fan.

Wanting a transfer is not a reason to strike.

Poor working conditions, poor wages, racial intolerance etc. THESE are reasons to strike.

He's not a coal miner.

He is one of the most highly paid human beings on the planet, working in one of the most state-of-the-art training facilities with the highest level of expertise looking after him at every turn.

Interesting he didn't strike to fight racial injustices which has been he and the F.A.'s big push this season but strikes over this.

Grow up you fucking cretin, Harry.

Well, a verbal agreement is an agreement nonetheless. Although I am sure if it was written down it would not be a legally binding agreement. Kane's team calls it a gentlemen's agreement, stupid wording to be leaked, they should have just said an agreement. A gentlemen's agreement by definition means they never expected Levy to be bound by the terms. It is just a promise. Everything is so amateurish.
I think both sides would agree with what was said. They appear to disagree over what a good offer constitutes.
I don’t know how this works but couldn’t this agreement have been adopted in the contract as a sort of Codicil?
We would all know where the parties stand then

I don’t know how this works but couldn’t this agreement have been adopted in the contract as a sort of Codicil?
We would all know where the parties stand then
They could have just amended the contract if they wanted but both parties clearly didn't intend this agreement to create legal relations. It was just a promise from Levy, which I am sure was recorded, I mean I do hope Charlie Kane takes a note in meetings. Bar adding a release clause, I am not sure it would have clarified anything. The parties would still dispute what a good/reasonable price/market value is for Kane.

Of course speculation. But levy has previous with 'gentlemen's agreements', so if i had to mistrust someone in this debacle, it would be levy.
But what do you mistrust about Levy here? Very few people doubt he made promises to Kane about being sold. Tottenham have never denied that either. The issue is what is the right price. Kane obviously feels £100m is enough, Levy doesn't.

But what do you mistrust about Levy here? Very few people doubt he made promises to Kane about being sold. Tottenham have never denied that either. The issue is what is the right price. Kane obviously feels £100m is enough, Levy doesn't.
If he goes back on there being a gentlemens agreement about selling him for market value this summer. Now it depends on how people define market value.

Comparison with other striker of similar age being sold right now? I guess we can compare to Lukaku (same age) bids from Chelsea. Inter have rejected those bids so that doesnt show a 'market value' yet.

Or how many bids have come in for kane to know what the market values him at?If one is for 120m and another for 130m then id say the market values him at 125m on average.

Of course speculation. But levy has previous with 'gentlemen's agreements', so if i had to mistrust someone in this debacle, it would be levy.
Yes I know about Levy’s track track record so if there was such an agreement did Harry understand what he was agreeing about and surely it should have come to light by now

We’re all assuming that Levy asked him for another year and if nothing had improved for the team he could go for an acceptable price

Quantifying what state the club should be in and what constitutes an acceptable fee is difficult

That’s why a transfer request then a press statement would have clarified matters but all we have is the Neville interview and two days no show by Harry

Back
Top Bottom