How much merchandise do you buy in a year

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Hardly anything normally beyond my OH+ but this season I've bought loads, probably because of lockdown I've hardly spent money on commuting and going out. Yellow away shirt, green away shirt, polo shirt, wife got me a few bits for Christmas and my birthday, this year I did the Skywalk + Prosecco + Photos for my birthday.

And I'm not sorry for any of it. Its been a shit 18 months of a global pandemic, and wasting money on Spurs has been a bit of escapism.

I‘m fed up too so after the shit show of last season and the bollocks going on with manager search I’ve decided I’m not spending on Spurs this season. No going to games, no merchandise, no sky sports, etc.
Sadly as we can see from Achilles Achilles our little protest won’t do anything because there are always tons of tourists ready to spend a fortune without thought. The real fans are powerless to hit the club where it hurts because of their will always be those “fans” especially internationally that will chuck buckets of money at the club.
It’s the same with tickets too. People say we can protest by knot buying tickets, but it doesn’t work because there will always be tourists or fans that don’t get much opportunity to go who will buy those tickets instead.
You can fuck right off. The entire "I'm a better fan than you because I'm a local" argument is tired and frankly a load of shit.

Me being from the US doesn't make me any less of a fan than you.

Thank you for your time.

I used to buy LOADS of Spurs branded stuff from the shop.

I buy very little these days. Mainly books.

My son bought me two T shirts recently. One of them started coming apart at the seams at the first wash.

The quality of the clothing is very variable.

I will still buy stuff, just not as much of it.

Hardly anything normally beyond my OH+ but this season I've bought loads, probably because of lockdown I've hardly spent money on commuting and going out. Yellow away shirt, green away shirt, polo shirt, wife got me a few bits for Christmas and my birthday, this year I did the Skywalk + Prosecco + Photos for my birthday.

And I'm not sorry for any of it. Its been a shit 18 months of a global pandemic, and wasting money on Spurs has been a bit of escapism.
Yes the Skywalk was my highlight of 2020, best thing I did all year.

Not a season ticket holder, I used to manage two games a year odd which is not great.

I had been buying the kits for the boy each year, one or two of them and the occasional bit for me but staging my own low key protest and taking a punt on one of those 'other' websites mentioned on here. Getting myself some tracky bottys with the flash logo, a mate an old Holsten top and the boy wanted an England one. Will end up getting him a spurs kit from there if it's reliable for his birthday I imagine.

Was keen to get the new home for me as I like it and thought for a second, after mourinho going and mention of poch, that this season might be worth getting excited about but that didn't last long.

I've got the Poch/ mourinho top which my family got for me and that'll do me, I think it's the most decent recent, except the new one is nice... But again, I'd get a cheeky one when I get the boy his but snide ones because fuck Daniel Levy. Aiming not to buy any more stuff under levy : (

You can fuck right off. The entire "I'm a better fan than you because I'm a local" argument is tired and frankly a load of shit.

Me being from the US doesn't make me any less of a fan than you.

Thank you for your time.

Never actually said anyone was better than anybody else, but foreign followers are definitely different. They’re not fans, they’re supporters. They don’t live and breath the club in the same way as domestic fans do, they don’t have the same emotional connection. Watching it on TV just isn’t the same. Foreign supporters are mostly new supporters who’ve jumped on the wagon in the last 20 years and don’t understand the history of the club, the ethos and the rivalries. Heck half of them don’t even understand the game or know the rules, but Levy doesn’t care about that as long as they’re throwing money at the club.
I’ve only supported the club for 30 years and make it to only 6-8 games a season because ticket prices are too high so there are far better fans than me. Many pay thousands for a season ticket and have done for more years than I’ve been alive. Heck half of the foreign supporters don’t even know the rules or understand the game so like it or not its just never going to be the same.

Its no different to me and NFL. I’d never call myself a fan because I’m thousands of miles away and not surrounded by it 24/7. I don’t go to games, the players antics aren’t in the press all the time, I don’t go to pubs or bars covered in merchandise, do tailgates, etc. I cant live and breath the sport like I do football and Spurs because I’m so far away. It’s just not the same so it would be insulting to true American fans for me to call myself a fan. I’m just a supporter and there’s no shame in that, but it makes me part of the problem not the solution.

Oh and you can go fuck yourself too you foreign fucking prick. No need to start swearing at people because you disagree with them you inbred cretin.

Never actually said anyone was better than anybody else, but foreign followers are definitely different. They’re not fans, they’re supporters. They don’t live and breath the club in the same way as domestic fans do, they don’t have the same emotional connection. Watching it on TV just isn’t the same. Foreign supporters are mostly new supporters who’ve jumped on the wagon in the last 20 years and don’t understand the history of the club, the ethos and the rivalries. Heck half of them don’t even understand the game or know the rules, but Levy doesn’t care about that as long as they’re throwing money at the club.
I’ve only supported the club for 30 years and make it to only 6-8 games a season because ticket prices are too high so there are far better fans than me. Many pay thousands for a season ticket and have done for more years than I’ve been alive. Heck half of the foreign supporters don’t even know the rules or understand the game so like it or not its just never going to be the same.

Its no different to me and NFL. I’d never call myself a fan because I’m thousands of miles away and not surrounded by it 24/7. I don’t go to games, the players antics aren’t in the press all the time, I don’t go to pubs or bars covered in merchandise, do tailgates, etc. I cant live and breath the sport like I do football and Spurs because I’m so far away. It’s just not the same so it would be insulting to true American fans for me to call myself a fan. I’m just a supporter and there’s no shame in that, but it makes me part of the problem not the solution.

Oh and you can go fuck yourself too you foreign fucking prick. No need to start swearing at people because you disagree with them you inbred cretin.
😲

Wow, remind me never to get on the wrong side of you, Mandy :)

You may have never said it, but you absolutely implied that you are better and more important than those of us overseas.

FFS you didn't even refer to me and my non-local brethren as foreign fans or foreign supporters, you insulted us all by implying that we are nothing more than tourists with fat wallets.

While I agree wholeheartedly that watching on TV isn't the same as being in the stadium, you calling our love for the game and passion to see Spurs succeed into question is down right insulting.

Football isn't the exclusive domain of the British, and Tottenham isn't strictly for those from or with close family ties to the area. I'm assuming that when you refer to foreign bandwagon jumpers you are exclusively talking about Americans with your anti-American/Americans are ruining everything bias. Surely you don't believe that supporters from say Italy, Spain, or Germany don't understand the intricacies of the game.

If you think less of your "fan" status to an NFL team that is on you; don't call our love for Spurs into question and try to minimalize it by saying we can't be real fans because we don't live there. We do wear the shirts, we do go to pubs and watch live matches and while we may not have the "local connection" we definitely love our clubs.

So I repeat, fuck off.

xfMfkqF.jpg

Thanks so much.

I think you're out of order here.

These feels like a very out of character post for you! Are you ok?

Calm down babez x

Aside from the cunt-off you have stumbled into....

I would be interested in the distinction you make between "fans" & "supporters".... Your articulation suggests that to you "fandom" is more commited than "support".

To me, "support" vs "fandom" transcends the 'local vs long-distance' debate and the idea of true support has a depth which far outweighs the concept of mere fandom (for instance I'd associate fandom with a less committed affinity that I might elsewhere associate with a pop band or TV show) .

Keen to hear your thoughts when the heat dies down.....

Last edited:
Aside from the cunt-off you have stumbled into....
I would be interested in the destinction you make between "fans" & "supporters".... Your articulation suggests that to you "fandom" is more commited than "support".

To me, "support" vs "fandom" transcends the 'local vs long-distance' debate and the idea of true support has a depth which far outweighs the concept of mere
fandom (for instance I'd associate fandom with a less committed affinity that I might elsewhere associate with a pop band or TV show) .

Keen to hear your thoughts when the heat dies down.....
Have to say, I think he's got it the wrong way round too...

Being a 'fan' of something, and supporting something/someone, are two subtle sides of the same coin.

I'm a fan of pizza, but I don't 'suppprt' pizza!

I guess you can be a fan AND suppprt...
but as an example: if someone you know is in desperate trouble, and come to you for help... then they need your SUPPPORT....
....they don't need you to take a selfie next to them whilst asking for an autograph!!!!

SUPPORTER > FAN debate....

....and from a 'Murrican perspective:

Back
Top Bottom