Man City v Spurs - PL Sat 13th Feb 17:30 GMT - Live on Sky Sports

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Not surprised in any way that we comfortably lost. But, if Kane had some luck with the free kick, if Lloris had some luck - or a 0.5% stronger hand - with the penalty, then we’re in the game. We’re rubbish at chasing games because we’re not set up or coached to do that (i.e. attack). Our style only works if our forwards put away the few chances they get. It’s pretty miserable. 3 games now in the league we have to take 7+ points from. Any defeat, and Jose is gone. Surely. The club hasn’t been this low and divided since AVB season 2. Worst thing is the acceptance and apathy throughout the club. There is just no positive energy anywhere to cling on to.

Bollocks - no one knows how to play against them, as they're too good. A couple of sides have got lucky or caught them on an off day. Generally any side naive enough to say "we'll go toe to toe with them and play football" have been battered.
Again bollocks at least defend properly if your plan is to defend. We hardly got close to them in contrast to when we have the ball their players swarmed all around us. That’s why why we hardly got I. To their pen box. Yet they got into ours on a regular basis. That’s what pisses me off. They can con control possesion and push forward yet they can defend as well. How does that work? I’ll tell you how they are coached to press and run more than the oppo and be more incentive and think quicker. We just stroll around thinking we get bodies back we will be ok. However we mark no one font follow runners and basically stand off. It was too easy!

When we were in the Champions League we seemed to struggle to sign players.

this is not a mess WE have managed to find ourselves in. This is a mess created by Levy / ENIC and their business model. All roads lead back to the Dead Hand of Mr Levy.

I don’t want Jose to stay if he is having to loan players from Portugal or bring in full backs who never play. Everything is on Daniel Levy with a special mention to Steve “coffee man / hates his job” Hitchins.
Is hitchens the uninspiring one from the Amazon doc?

We can’t replace the entire squad (in fact we literally can’t replace anyone now that it’s February).

We can sack the manager bring in either a caretaker or let ledley lead the men (really nice story with a black manager) and give everyone a different perspective for the rest of the season.

Then go after any of a number of Tottenham-style managers in the off-season.

We're going to defend the man who spent £420 million on an FA cup winning squad, then claimed they were the worst squad he ever had.

Jose built the squad he claimed was the worst he ever managed
Where did i say i was defending him? Im stating a fact. A lot of our players are shit and are getting away with murder because of tge manager been poor. Ive said it here before. A lot of these players have flopped before. Club needs to make a big decision on manager and 7 or 8 players

Top to bottom rebuild required IMO.

That includes getting rid of Hitchens, possibly Levy, Jose, back room staff (apart from ledders) and pretty much the whole squad. Fuck the medical team off too.
I appreciate we’ve just been beaten by a team who have won 16 games in a row and are unbeaten for 20 (I believe) but this isn’t good enough.

the only question is how do we achieve this in the midst of a financial crisis where no teams are spending? Do we have to follow the lead that “them down the road” have done and just pay some contracts off.

If we don’t secure European football this year, I really fear for our long term future.

Again bollocks at least defend properly if your plan is to defend. We hardly got close to them in contrast to when we have the ball their players swarmed all around us. That’s why why we hardly got I. To their pen box. Yet they got into ours on a regular basis. That’s what pisses me off. They can con control possesion and push forward yet they can defend as well. How does that work? I’ll tell you how they are coached to press and run more than the oppo and be more incentive and think quicker. We just stroll around thinking we get bodies back we will be ok. However we mark no one font follow runners and basically stand off. It was too easy!
Spot on.

We can’t replace the entire squad (in fact we literally can’t replace anyone now that it’s February).

We can sack the manager bring in either a caretaker or let ledley lead the men (really nice story with a black manager) and give everyone a different perspective for the rest of the season.

Yeah a nice story is what we need?? Isnt ledley our defence coach. Im sorry i love him as a player but what exactly has he been coaching. Same with sacremento

Lloris just chucking one in every game at the minute. Been a great servant but needs moving on in summer.

nothing learned from that that we didn’t all know already.

move along

We always depend on him, like we always depend on Lloris
But when Lloris plays like shit no one has a problem admitting it.
If we win because of a Kane goal great, but who’s talking about the three saves the keeper made a week later?

We win as a team, we lose as a team.

If Kane was doing what Bale was in 2012, I’d get it, I really would. But he isn’t.

We haven't depended on Lloris or been able to for 3 years

He's not prime Bale we know this but he's still a world class striker.

I love Ledley but...let him be manager?
Ledley, the defensive coach??.... 🤔

I love Ledley but...let him be manager?
Ledley, the defensive coach??.... 🤔

As the caretaker with an offensive assistant to play a more possession-based game.

It would be a PR play at the top.

I’d also be good with bringing in a caretaker. We need a change now though. We’re not as good as city, but we’re better than what we’ve been producing for far too long.

Yeah a nice story is what we need?? Isnt ledley our defence coach. Im sorry i love him as a player but what exactly has he been coaching. Same with sacremento
Young coaches who are just starting out like Ledley and Sacramento won't have any influence with someone like Jose in charge.

I bet they just agree with whatever Jose says. They don't have any authority.
I don't expect them to actually be doing anything.

As an experiment it would be interesting to see what they would have done if Jose was not there.

Top to bottom rebuild required IMO.

That includes getting rid of Hitchens, possibly Levy, Jose, back room staff (apart from ledders) and pretty much the whole squad. Fuck the medical team off too.
I appreciate we’ve just been beaten by a team who have won 16 games in a row and are unbeaten for 20 (I believe) but this isn’t good enough.

the only question is how do we achieve this in the midst of a financial crisis where no teams are spending? Do we have to follow the lead that “them down the road” have done and just pay some contracts off.

If we don’t secure European football this year, I really fear for our long term future.
You missed out replacing the stadium, curing covid, balancing the national debt, cooling the oceans, finding the secret to world peace and making gooners socially acceptable

Yep imagine if we bought Zaha none of this would have happened
Not sure that picking Zaha adds anything at all. Especially so when that window the target was Grealish and that went south.

Honestly, we can’t have a manager talk two seasons running about the need to “painfully” rebuild and then self impose an 18 month transfer ban. Who is responsible for that is debatable. But never forget a transfer ban of any length is considered a punishment for good reason.

What we seem to have achieved by low investment ( based on the evidence to hand ) is stagnation and forcing successive coaches back to failed players.

for example, Sanchez is of no more value than Fazio, Wimmer or Chiriches. They all got moved on. Why didn’t Sanchez ? Because unlike the others he has not been replaced. That’s just a single example, but all through the squad you can make the same arguments. There was a time when a fringe player like Chadli was moved on, despite flashes, where as now the Lucas type player is not moved on for better. What’s changed ? The squad is not better with Lucas than it was with Chadli.

Brian Clough used to tell his players that they were only at the club until he got someone better. Whether that would be wise in 2021 I don’t know but there is a lot of truth in being strong enough to want / demand better. No matter how good you have it.

And if we had it that good we would not have been were we were, which a big final aside, was heading in the wrong direction since around Dec 2018.

To be honest. Hindsight is valuable in such situations, no one could predict the cliff Dele or Bale would fall off. No one could imagine Doherty’s Woolwich fetish would be so deep. Well none of us anyway, as we are not professional scouts and professional coaches. Those that are perhaps need to consider more than net spend.

Back
Top Bottom