Brighton Vs Tottenham - Sun 31st Jan 7:15pm - Live On Sky.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Result

• Brighton Win

Votes: 57 33.1%
  • Spurs Win

Votes: 65 37.8%
  • Draw

Votes: 50 29.1%

• Total voters
I think the constant cycle of Mourinho blaming a player, putting them on the naughty step - and then brining them back when he does the same to the replacement has run thin.

They just don't believe or trust him anymore.
One explanation which has legs, but what about before Jose?
Why can’t they ever cross the line and why is it new players that get dragged down instead of lifting the others?

What’s rotten here?

People will say the common denominator is Levy but really? Is he in the dressing room making everyone feel like shit and play like non league?

Something is wrong with our player culture, it’s like chelsea under Conte

Being a Spurs supporter is like nothing else:)

You’ve gotta be a pretty tough individual to withstand being a Spurs Supporter:)
It's that 'sleeping giant that never wakes up' feeling. So often success is within touching distance but never obtained. Tantalizing is the word.

We're not going to get there with this lot at this rate. They're feeling sad? Should be feeling mad and doing something about it

Seriously, what happened in this dressing room that we went from top to flop of the league. Same players, same manager, same staff... I just saw Hugo his post-match interview where he talked about the missing desire. Oh boy, he also looked so depressed. God knows how the manager is able to change this atmosphere but he has to. Otherwise we won't last long in other competitions if that attitude continues to stay. A shame that our most important players are injuried. Kane, Reggie and Gio were missed yesterday. No way that Reguilon would gift them this goal like Davies. At least you could see that Ben was also disappointed with this lack of engagement. It's also a shame that no supporters are allowed in the stadium just to drag them out of this misery. It will be a relief for them to see and hear supporters in the stands again. Just to put some things into perspective again, Liverpool, Woolwich, Chavs and United are also struggling this season. It would be naive to say that these covid measures don't have a huge impact on some individuals. A lot of up and downs this season and it's still easily possible to finish in the top 4. Lets hope for the best.

COYS

Last edited:
If our team of talented individuals aren’t as capable of keeping the ball as Brighton, it’s on the coach yes!

What the fuck is he paid 15m for?!?! What the fuck is doing with these guys on the training pitch?! I can assure you it isn’t offensive sets and working out how to transition the ball from defence to attack.

Are you seriously insinuating that Brighton just straight up have better players than us and Jose’s management is the only thing keeping us just 1 down?!

I think you give the coach too much credit. As in their ability to control what happens on the pitch.

What we have here is a double edged sword.
He's potentially lost the dressing room. I have no idea how that happened after the 3 games against City, Chelsea and Woolwich. You'd have thought by the end of those 3 games, top of the league, going well in 2 cups, that they'd be fully backing him.
But I'm not convinced sacking another coach changes anything. They're still average players. There's just too much mediocrity in this squad.

I think the constant cycle of Mourinho blaming a player, putting them on the naughty step - and then brining them back when he does the same to the replacement has run thin.

They just don't believe or trust him anymore.
That's an interesting theory.

You could also add the resentment that players like Toby and Dele probably have seeing Dier and Winks getting games when they can't.

Yet that doesn’t explain why the players that ARE playing aren’t performing as well as we know they can more often

.....if you are in the team, you are in line to be singled out for blame for the next defeat.....there's never any collective responsibility

They are all scared to make mistakes, so constantly seek the safest option on the pitch (normally a pass back to GK)

.....if you are in the team, you are in line to be singled out for blame for the next defeat.....there's never any collective responsibility

They are all scared to make mistakes, so constantly seek the safest option on the pitch (normally a pass back to GK)
Well then it would appear we have a squad packed with little girls rather than a tactical issue

Well then it would appear we have a squad packed with little girls rather than a tactical issue
Could be right, does give of a certain sense of squad arrogance and set in their way.

Mourinho doesn't help though,every week seems to bring about a new problem at present.

Also, don't doubt how much damage that documentary did to us.

I'm beginning to feel that you could take Man City or Liverpool's squad, stick them in Spurs shirts and ask them to play their home games at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium and they'd fold like a flan in a cupboard too.

Yet that doesn’t explain why the players that ARE playing aren’t performing as well as we know they can more often
Poor tactics, personnel choices, formations and sub choices (at times) don't help. Last night, they looked like they had no idea who was playing where or runs where....

Poor tactics, personnel choices, formations and sub choices (at times) don't help. Last night, they looked like they had no idea who was playing where or runs where....
Also the fact that only 4 players seem to be automatic starters and then a Tombola draw for the other positions.

How do you build up an understanding in the defence by changing it every week?

Spurs currently were summed up quite well by someone on Twitter.

"When we defend it looks like no one's there and when we attack it looks like no one's there".

I find myself noticing this more and more lately.

Do opposition teams just cover more ground than us? Are they just fitter? Do they have more desire?

What's clear is that for some reason we have allowed the technical quality to drop far too low in our squad.

Brighton's attackers all looked more composed last night. Able to kill the ball, to lay off first time effectively and make good runs. Even their defenders could take the ball down on their chest and find a man. Brighton.

Meanwhile we have Son's brother who takes five touches while going backwards to control the ball and then lays it off. Bergjwin who seems to have the technical quality in his brain but whose legs don't listen to him. Bale just playing like it's a pre-season friendly. Relying on Sissoko and Ben Davies to create.

Gone are the days where Toby can spin out of a tricky position and make a good pass, even he is now fully hoofball and looping headers just to get it away. Rodon and Sanchez are scared to receive the ball.

We are so far off it.

Had some time to think about it, and reflect.

Even if they sack Jose now or later, it doesn't change the fact that this team/squad is mentally weak to the core.
Taking Jose's negative football aside for a moment, I can see that he has tried to fire our players up, we've had players going at each other in the dressing room, Lloris and Son last year, Dier jumping in the stands, and all the rumours surrounding the Aurier bust up.
But the tough love approach from Jose just hasn't worked, I don't think you can turn people into winners, they either have that in them or they don't.

So while I'm firmly aboard the Jose out train because of the boring football we are playing, it's not going to get much better with a new manager, we might get the smiles back on faces and a bit of champagne football and playing with that Tottenham swagger, which is something at least.

But we will still have that soft underbelly, Spursy waiting to surface.

I think ultimately it just comes down to the wages we pay and the quality of players we tend to go for.

And that won't change unless we get Oil Baron rich or have paid off the stadium debt.

I'm beginning to feel that you could take Man City or Liverpool's squad, stick them in Spurs shirts and ask them to play their home games at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium and they'd fold like a flan in a cupboard too.
I don’t feel this, I know this. Let’s face it Tottenham have always been slightly flakey with a soft underbelly but we’re able to collect silverware regularly enough to be considered a biggish club with an identity based on flare and entertainment.

The last 30 years we’ve spent in fulfilments desolate attic with our (let’s count them...) two LC wins has had a hugely detrimental affect on club morale and perception.

Perhaps.

Probably because they know nothing will happen. They won't get sold or pushed out the door.

We're a pretty good gig. Solid pay and no real expectations.

Back
Top Bottom