Wycombe Wanderers vs Tottenham Hotspur | FA Cup 4th Round | Monday 25 Jan, KO: 19:45

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Understand it? It's a game I play and watch and enjoy very much. I understand it no more or less than you do.

I have no issue with Harry Winks. Very fond of him really. He's often good and I support him as a player at the club. Played very well against Leeds and Newcastle this year. Wouldn't sell him or get rid or anything like that. To say his work off the ball is wonderful is a bit silly. He's a good squad player and if his work off the ball was wonderful he'd be more than that.

He was poor for 60 or so minutes today though, shirked challenges, easily bypassed, poor physical presence. Played much better when Hojbjerg and Ndombele were on the field and scored a good goal.
Wrong

For fucks sake, he's a squad player who's more Spurs than we can dream of. He comes in and plays well against the teams that people are screaming that we should rest our first team for and all they can then say is "found his level". Not "played really well", not "great goal at a crucial time", nothing positive at all.

I just don't get how people can be so fucking bitter about our players, even when they do really well.

People (who would melt like a Mr Whippy in high summer if they were ever face to face with him, let's not forget that) have called him "Wanks" on this forum, just consider how utterly pathetic that is
And what people also dont appreciate is that players who are similar to Winks stop him playing his game, diminishing his contribution
Is he supposed to fight with them for possession as well?

I wish Bale converted a few of his early chances but he looked much better today than he has all season. I don’t think he should start Thursday but coming of the beach could be a big boost for us.

The main guys were going to play today no matter what imo. No way Jose would want them going 11 days without a single minute of game time then look rusty against LFC. They got a good 30 minutes or less in and will be perfectly fine Thursday.

Ndombele, Winks, Bale and Lucas played very well. The defense was pretty poor in the first half, especially Tanganga. He looked slower than normal but first time back from injury so that’s to be expected.

I'm very much a "the scoreline tells you who the best team was" guy, but for any commentator talking about "deserve" in this game: 4-1 flattered them. Bale should have had 3 in the first alone. We hit the woodwork at least twice. Kane and Son both missed absolute sitters. Lucas was an unlucky bounce away. We dominated them. This wasn't a close match.

And while I liked Jose's changes, I think Vini/Lucas/Bale would have also scored a couple in the last 10 against these guys, at no point was I worried, even after they scored.
So far that’s Leeds, Marine and Wycombe who deserved to beat us:

Goals for 12
Goals against 1

I love nearly drawing 4-1

Last edited:
Very Disappointing. No fireworks at Wycombe last night :(

...and then N'Dombele came on...

giphy.gif

Dem's my kinda sparklers.

I'm very much a "the scoreline tells you who the best team was" guy, but for any commentator talking about "deserve" in this game: 4-1 flattered them. Bale should have had 3 in the first alone. We hit the woodwork at least twice. Kane and Son both missed absolute sitters. Lucas was an unlucky bounce away. We dominated them. This wasn't a close match.

And while I liked Jose's changes, I think Vini/Lucas/Bale would have also scored a couple in the last 10 against these guys, at no point was I worried, even after they scored.
I know what you mean.... but I'm not convinced about the stat that having 10 shots on target = 7/8 or even 9 goals scored.... only very rarely would tthat happen, occasionally a team goes nuts, and tthe opposition capitulates...

In any case, HAD those early chances gone in, and we'd been comfortably 4 or 5 up earlier, I doubt he'd had even brought on Kane/Son/Tanguay.... so those last flurry of goals may not even have happened... they'd have had a 25 minute training session with us in front comfortably.

The issue was more the timing of those goals... not how many we coulda shoulda scored
(Though yes, I agree, we could easily have scored 4 in the 1st half, and not even bother trying in the 2nd.)

I've been there while touring various stadia. It's not too bad. Bit depressing, I guess.
Wycombe seemed to be a prison team from an unsuccessful 'B' movie, didn't they? I wonder if any of them managed to escape by sneaking onto the Spurs bus, after the game.

Last edited:
I know what you mean.... but I'm not convinced about the stat that having 10 shots on target = 7/8 or even 9 goals scored.... only very rarely would tthat happen, occasionally a team goes nuts, and tthe opposition capitulates...

In any case, HAD those early chances gone in, and we'd been comfortably 4 or 5 up earlier, I doubt he'd had even brought on Kane/Son/Tanguay.... so those last flurry of goals may not even have happened... they'd have had a 25 minute training session with us in front comfortably.

The issue was more the timing of those goals... not how many we coulda shoulda scored
(Though yes, I agree, we could easily have scored 4 in the 1st half, and not even bother trying in the 2nd.)
I'm just VERY thankful we didn't go 1-0 up.

Google the meaning of inept...it's not a permanent state.
Last night his management of the game was not inept. Against wolves it was inept. Against palace it was inept. Ineptitude can apply to temporary periods.
It's you that needs to improve your comprehension and vocab.

Being inept is not like the weather. You are not inept yesterday, become competent today, and revert to being inept tomorrow. You are either inept at doing something or not.

As an example, YOU are inept at evaluating the competency of a manager - you were inept yesterday, still inept today, and will likely remain inept for the near future. That is how ineptitude works.

Being inept is not like the weather. You are not inept yesterday, become competent today, and revert to being inept tomorrow. You are either inept at doing something or not.

As an example, YOU are inept at evaluating the competency of a manager - you were inept yesterday, still inept today, and will likely remain inept for the near future. That is how ineptitude works.
Google says:
having or showing no skill; clumsy.
"the referee's inept handling of the match"

Inept handling of the match. Not all matches. The match. Singular. You can be inept for a period of time. It is not an ongoing state and can be altered. Clearly, I do not need to improve my comprehension or vocab.

You have handled this conversation ineptly but you do not handle all conversations ineptly therefore this is a one off, short period of ineptitude rather than long term ineptitude.

Therefore, Jose has handled the matches I mentioned (and others) ineptly. Last night he did not and I thought he and the team handled the challenge well.

Hate to say it, but you've just undone your own argument.... how can he "likely be inept for the near future" if ineptitude isn't fleeting...? "You are either inept at doing something or not." your words, not mine.

"It's you that needs to improve your comprehension and vocab."
(again, your words, not mine!!)

Anyway... I'm good at cooking and music, but inept at Nuclear Physics... doesn't mean i'm inept as a human being... just at certain things!

Harry Winks scored and played well so has found his level, but Kane and Son didn't so haven't found their level so should probably drop down to League One
...and Winks should probably be loaned to a Championship club...
I'm sure the likes of Shrewsbury will welcome Kane & Son with open arms!!

Agree on bale but he did this first half. Just seems to lack confidence. I actually think he should start Thursday. Did enough and is paid enough to deserve that.

I think Jose not using the reserves works. Too many changes in one go seems to hurt us and we bring on the first teamers anyway. A couple of changes might work better.

And n'dompele is fucking quality. Please do the same against Liverpool. Just go out and fuck em up
It’s mental how much some people detest us. Commentator during the game said and I quote, “Wycombe were more threatening than Spurs... with less of the ball.”

Fuck me I thought. What does that even mean?
Its mental. Wycombe had the goal and a header saved by hart. Thats all they did. We should have had 8

Out of the kindness of my heart, I'll give you a better understanding of ineptitude. Here goes...

Currently, your understanding of the term inept is inept, but I believe you will learn its proper meaning one day. Ineptitude does not have to be a permanent state but, sadly for some, it is.

The very fact that you used the phrase, 'likely remain inept for the near future', means that you subconsciously realise the ephemerality of ineptitude, undermining your entire argument.

If, instead, you were putting a case for bigheaded snottiness being a permanent state, I'd find it hard to disagree with you, have revelled in it all my life.

Back
Top Bottom