Southampton vs Tottenham - Sun 20th Sept at 12noon.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Why does José need to interrupt Sonny's interview and say motm kane.
Take nothing away from Kane. Those passes were ridiculously good but Son had to put those chances away. The one before half time was fucking important. No thanks to his tactics and picking hojbjerg and winks together.

Jose knows how important Kane is and now Jose has a tricky task balancing some big egos with the arrival of Bale, he needs to make sure amid all the Bale hype that Kane still feels the love. Son gets all the plaudits already for the hat trick, Jose needs to remind Kane how much he values him. That’s my take on it anyway, he could be a hell of a lot more subtle about it though because Sonny is also extremely important.

45 min (1-0) “Tottenham,” says Gary Naylor, “look like 11 blokes who met in the car park on a Sunday morning for a bit of a kickabout at lunchtime before going to the pub to watch Chelsea v Liverpool.”

FT: 2-5 😎

45 min (1-0) “Tottenham,” says Gary Naylor, “look like 11 blokes who met in the car park on a Sunday morning for a bit of a kickabout at lunchtime before going to the pub to watch Chelsea v Liverpool.”

FT: 2-5 😎

Then Chelsea/Liverpool unfolds.

original.gif

Clicking on my name to look at my recent posts to find that one and comment on it. A post that’s some 20+ pages back.

What are you, 60 something years old? Acting like a child on here. That’s pretty sad.
So tell me, are you saying that people who are 60+ are not allowed to behave in any other manner other than that of some cartoon granddad?
Ageist cock knocker

Am I the only one that thinks Jose got his tactics spot on second half? Abandoning his attempt at a high line and dropping Kane deeper to feed son worked a treat. Also it was nice to see him trying something different in the first half even though it was the wrong decision by Jose, and it was even nicer to see him go back on that decision in the second half.
Whilst I agree with your assessment 100% not sure it was Jose getting the tactics wrong in the first half or the players on the pitch simply not following the game plan, he was clearly very angry come half-time and I suspect that was why, for whatever reason the front three were getting isolated and leaving Southampton 4 v 3 in the middle of the park, that overload meant our defence was always facing a free man coming down the flanks or through the middle. Maybe we had planned to play that way looking to win on the counter if so as you say big credit to Mourinho for the change, my feeling was that the players, much as last week versus Everton, simply failed to follow the game plan.

More and more teams are going to push that extra man through the middle, City, Liverpool, Woolwich all try it, it creates a lot of chances but it also opens you up for fast counters ... slow 'oil tanker' defenders like VVD and Maguire will get found out, as I'm afraid will Toby. CB's will need to be much more mobile in this seasons EPL.

If teams play with the high lines of last season they will be shipping a lot of goals, I bet a few managers are already looking at nine man defences, or maybe this will be the season when it rains goals, the hand ball rule will play a big part, hitting the ball at the arm we're going to see a lot more of that.

Sonny was Man of the Match but I wasn’t impressed with Jose interrupting Sonny’s interview to say that he thought Kane was MOTM. It wasn’t light hearted banter,
Kane was every bit deserving but why not let Son have his day?
So Jose gets my Dickhead Award for that piece of crap man management.
Fun fact: Harry Kane is the first Englishman to assist 4 goals in a single premier league game....History maker yet again...!!

Sonny MoTM tho and rightly so...

I only just finished watching the match (my stream was very delayed). Fucking hell, Kane was incredible. Amazing acrobatic finish for the offside goal, particularly unlucky for the second finish since it wasn't him who was offside, four assists ranging between solid and exquisite, CAM-like in his passing and unselfishness (e.g. leaving it for Son on the edge of the area with a simple path in to shoot himself), richly deserved final goal, and even a well-executed slide tackle. Could've very easily had a hat trick in addition to at least four assists.

Of course, assists don't exist in a vacuum and are entirely dependent on the receiving player. Fortunately, Son was finishing like prime Kane. The goals and assists were thoroughly deserved all-round. Kane made me feel good - almost prophetic - about my post the other day about how unselfish he's become and about how he should have more assists at club level than he actually does (expectation stats indicate the same thing).

Last edited:
Nobody cares if you were impressed or not.
There is no stars in Mourinho's team. He would only want to see 11 hard workers work together to achieve the common goal: winning. Hence that is the reason he hates players like Pogbad where dabbing, trickery will not get you into the team if you do not track back and defend when needed. In Amazon, he said you should not even touch your "balls" and get back to defend. This was the reason he view Kane's contribution is more important to the team than Son's goals. Again, he values 1-0 (where defenders can defend for 900 minutes) than 5-2.

Back
Top Bottom