Adebayor

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Ade could be our ace in the hole when we are playing City and the Chavs, if he fires and thats a big if thats a bonus for us??

Defoe had a terrible season a year or two ago. I can't remember exactly but didn't he get about three goals in a season or something silly. I'm not sure Adebayor will bounce back the same way Defoe did but it can happen.
Four league goals. I remember it because it pissed me off that Redknapp kept picking him, notwithstanding, while having Keane & Pav sitting around doing bugger all.

The thing with Ade is that he's not become a shit player overnight and I think AVB would've spotted it before now if he's just not bothering to put the effort in (which I personally don't think is true). He's more of a team player than Defoe, and we are doing well with both being off form or injured (Defoe was losing his leading up to his injury). Clearly there must be some issue of confidence or lack of form - which is proabbly not helped by all the fans who were praising him last year now being on his back. I wouldn't be surprised if Ade pops up towards the end of the season with a few crucial goals that helps us meet or target.

Incidently, Ade has his grin back.

NL5.jpg

That's a good sign IMO.

I thought it noticable that when Ade went off the ball stopped sticking up front. In part leading to the nerve shredding finish.

Thats neither blaming Defoe or saying Ade was brilliant, its simply the difference between the two players.

I thought Adebayor covered a lot of ground, closed down well and made some very smart runs. I dont think he was brilliant by any stretch, but I do think a lot of the criticism is undeserved.

He isnt hitting the heights of last season, thats undisputed, and that is incredibly disappointing. However, I dont think he is *as bad* as is often made out.

I also think, in the grander scheme of things, his game works for this team more than Defoes does

I thought it noticable that when Ade went off the ball stopped sticking up front.

Eh?

Ade couldn't trap a ball to save his life - his first touch was absolutely shocking (as it has been worringly for months now).

Offered fuck all as an outlet all game, did he even have a shot towards goal? Win a header? Crikey, he didn't even jump for those.

I like the guy but he was poor yesterday - Defoe's impact was superior

His hold up play led to Sig's clear chance in the second half and other dangerous situations around the box. He can be a limited striker at times granted but yesterday contributed far more in general, imv

I thought it noticable that when Ade went off the ball stopped sticking up front. In part leading to the nerve shredding finish.

Thats neither blaming Defoe or saying Ade was brilliant, its simply the difference between the two players.

I thought Adebayor covered a lot of ground, closed down well and made some very smart runs. I dont think he was brilliant by any stretch, but I do think a lot of the criticism is undeserved.

He isnt hitting the heights of last season, thats undisputed, and that is incredibly disappointing. However, I dont think he is *as bad* as is often made out.

I also think, in the grander scheme of things, his game works for this team more than Defoes does
Exactly. This is why I've still got a lot of time for him and have never been one of Defoe's biggest fans.

With Defoe, if he's not got his scoring boots on, then it's like playing with ten men. It is, in some ways, more risky to play Defoe because once you see him having a non scoring game you're already having to waste a subsitution. I think AVB knows this now and I wouldn't mind betting that Defoe starts to play the super-sub role again that Harry used him in last year, rather than starting in place of Ade. At least until AVB is convinced that he's got his scoring boots well and truly back on.

Exactly. This is why I've still got a lot of time for him and have never been one of Defoe's biggest fans.

I never quite understood why this (in my view unnecessary) polarisation needs to take place so often - i.e. you are either a Defoe or Ade fan - either / or

The former has been poor for months, whether it's confidence, lack of fitness, etc. - and yesterday was no different. I agree his effort / work-rate (against Wham especially) is often commendable but as an outlet he has struggled and I'd favour Defoe ahead of him at the moment, should both be fit

I never quite understood why this (in my view unnecessary) polarisation needs to take place so often - i.e. you are either a Defoe or Ade fan - either / or

The former has been poor for months, whether it's confidence, lack of fitness, etc. - and yesterday was no different. I agree his effort / work-rate (against Wham especially) is often commendable but as an outlet he has struggled and I'd favour Defoe ahead of him at the moment, should both be fit
I'm not polarised. I've always had this view of Defoe, all the way back to his first stint at the club. I've just felt that most of the other strikers we've had over those years, perhaps with the exception of Pav, have contributed more to team play than Defoe. So it's not about being an Ade fan at all.

With Defoe, if he's not got his scoring boots on, then it's like playing with ten men. It is, in some ways, more risky to play Defoe because once you see him having a non scoring game you're already having to waste a subsitution. I think AVB knows this now and I wouldn't mind betting that Defoe starts to play the super-sub role again that Harry used him in last year, rather than starting in place of Ade. At least until AVB is convinced that he's got his scoring boots well and truly back on.

I pretty well agree. I like Defoe, a lot. I think he is proper Spursy and when on form can be sensational.

I just think the way this team is going is not ultimately suited to a player of Defoes style. That is certainly not to say he is a bad player or I dont rate him, simply horses for courses.

Adebayor brings the team together in the final 3rd a hell of a lot more, directly through the use of the ball and indirectly through his runs and movement.

I am convinced had he a couple of goals in recent weeks but the same performances no one would really be complaining.

Adebayor brings the team together in the final 3rd a hell of a lot more, directly through the use of the ball and indirectly through his runs and movement.

Sorry, when did this happen yesterday - could you possibly point out at least 1 occasion of such occurence (seeing that this debate is formed around who offered more yesterday)

I can think of 3-4 from Defoe alone

I'd pick Ade anyday ahead of him but will not stick my head in the sand when the guy's been fucking shocking for weeks now and offers close to nothing

Wasnt long ago people were slating Dawson. Get off his case and support him, and Im sure he'll bang in 20 next year

Assuming this is aimed at me - which part of my post read to you I wasn't 'supporting' him?

Simply questioned someone's analysis of the game which suggested Ade contributed more than Defoe, something which I think is categorically and factually incorrect, imv

I felt Defoe looked more lively when he came on. he ran the channels well held the ball and contributed to our attacks. It is perhaps a little unfair to say Defoe was amazing and Ade was shit, the two players took part in different phases of the game. Ade in a tense first half where we had less ball than the opposition and less space in the final third. Defoe late on when the game was stretched, the opposition desperate for a goal leaving plenty of room in the final third for effective counter attacking football.

As long as Ade is working as part of the system chasing things down, attempting to hold the ball up and drawing fouls we should support him because these are signs of hard work. Ideally he grabs the ball goes on a run and smashes a few in and gets a few more fans onside.

I havent read your views on the matter. Just a random comment based on the general bashing he's getting at the moment.

If we had ditchedd all the people who at some point have been considered shit, we wouldnt have or have had Bale, Parker, Lennon, Dawson, BAE, Walker, Defoe, Kaboul, Gallas, Modric, VDV, Krancjar, Palacios.........................................

I havent read your views on the matter. Just a random comment based on the general bashing he's getting at the moment.

If we had ditchedd all the people who at some point have been considered shit, we wouldnt have or have had Bale, Parker, Lennon, Dawson, BAE, Walker, Defoe, Kaboul, Gallas, Modric, VDV, Krancjar, Palacios.........................................

Then how can you possibly make any sort of comment - I'd then suggest you have a read before making sweeping generalising comments of the above sort - I don't consider him shit for one second nor have I advocated for his sale

Then how can you possibly make any sort of comment - I'd then suggest you have a read before making sweeping generalising comments of the above sort - I don't consider him shit for one second nor have I advocated for his sale

As I said above:

I suggest you take your own advice :avblol:

Back
Top Bottom