Dele

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I think we as fans must be missing something in regards to watching us play. The media and managers fawned over Eriksen's "most ground covered" stats whilst we groaned.

Tonight it seems the same with Dele. Ran heaps and covered a lot of ground. But produced very little and fluffed a decent chance with that cross from Gedson.

What are we missing?

I think we as fans must be missing something in regards to watching us play. The media and managers fawned over Eriksen's "most ground covered" stats whilst we groaned.

Tonight it seems the same with Dele. Ran heaps and covered a lot of ground. But produced very little and fluffed a decent chance with that cross from Gedson.

What are we missing?

A striker.

What are we missing?

Nothing. Hes just the media love child.

Crouchy says he played Dele's role in many games and understands his frustration when you are chasing shadows most of the game.
Dele ran himself into the ground. JM took him off to keep him "fresher" for the Chelsea game.

Fair enough. But if he needs Kane to carry him then he should be benched until Kane is back.

Lamela would do a much better job imho. And I love Dele.

We don’t have a striker so we need to play without one. I think a 433 with a fluid attack would make sense. Whether that’s made up of Lamela, Stevie B, Dele, or Moura I don’t mind, but they should be moving all over the place.

Son’s injury has really fucked us.

Dele doesn't contribute enough to the game with the ball. Great at running and the odd goal. But I'd rather Lamela at the moment. Far more aggression and creativity with the ball.

Covered the most ground of any Spurs player tonight and got into good positions.
He will score v Chelsea.

Pretty sure he always or is close to topping those charts all the time.

Sadly, running around alot doesn't neccessarily win football games. Eriksen always topped those lists yet most accused him of being shit with his head not in it for months.

Dele worked hard. I've no problem with his work-rate tonight. Fair-dos.

We have no recognised CF - it's not just about putting a player in a space, they haven't had the years of coaching and matchplay in that space to know where the runs are, where the DFs are likely to move, to turn etcetera. Of all our 'stand-ins', Sonny has done it the most, but our makeshift midfield don't know where our makeshift forwards will be. No wonder the passing's all over the shop.

Dele's not the issue, nor Lucas, nor whoever else. The players just need time, and consistency, to understand how each player works.

(It'll all come unthreaded when Harry's back, too, as it did last year, because player's are 're-learning'). Time; time; time.

For the time being, nicking the odd win here and there is going to have to do.

Sorry, but when we are just hoofing the fucking thing up the pitch to two blokes completely isolated with 3 oppo players on them like flies on shit what exactly are people expecting? It doesn't matter if it would have been Kane, Aguero or Messi playing tonight the result for those players would have been the same. Tony Pullis played with starkers that also never fucking looked like scoring, wonder why?

Sorry, but when we are just hoofing the fucking thing up the pitch to two blokes completely isolated with 3 oppo players on them like flies on shit what exactly are people expecting? It doesn't matter if it would have been Kane, Aguero or Messi playing tonight the result for those players would have been the same. Tony Pullis played with starkers that also never fucking looked like scoring, wonder why?
Yes, the tactics are shit. Yes, I'd rather have Nagelsmann than Mou. And though we are simpatico on this and elsewhere we are not on this Dele front. Even in these shit tactics a few other players managed to standout. The problem with Dele is there is nothing to his game to standout if he's not scoring. And unfortunately his scoring is dependent on the rest of the team. What I'm saying is he is a luxury player that can be carried in a good team but is detrimental to a team like our that needs 10 outfield players helping out and contributing beyond tapins.

I got worried that my <10 more caps call would take a hit this summer with all the England injuries. It doesn't look like he will even be an emergency call-up such is his play. And kinda like what RBL would do I hope we do the same; sell him in the summer and reinvest in a couple or three more rounded actual footballers. And I've had this hope for 3+ seasons. Can't rely on mercurial 'talents' at this level. You must bring it 7/10 every game or face the bench.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom