Norwich (H) 22Jan - 19:30KO

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I've just watched the Cantwell foul on Lamela that earned him a yellow. I've seen people say they thought it was a definite red and others saying yellow was right. One thing I know is that he could definitely have not made that follow through and he decided to make impact studs up with a straight leg. It was a pretty similar incident to Juan's red in the Brighton game last year. If the ref calls it as a red in this game there's no way that VAR is over turning it. I think it's one that would have borne the on field ref having a quick check of the monitor (which would be about 10 yards away from the incident and probably saved three minutes of hanging about).
Cantwell was later allowed to injure Harry Winks. Oh, Mike Dean was VAR official btw.
Oh course there's no coincidence as refs are so honest and would never give in to career pressure or be dropped to the Championship and lose £100,000 a year for being a EPL ref.

We won.

Goodbye.

How did that work out?

Calling a player a cunt? Club needs cunts like you...
Oop, Lil Jonnie's had a bad day.

giphy.gif

My point is quite obvious

If you watch interviews of Sess, he doesn't even talk like that.

Fall back, Michael. You don't even discuss football on here anymore.
Not with drongo's I dont. Anyone who wants to talk I'm more than happy to chew the fat with.
Your point was pointless. A cheap shot at woke-ing the racism schtick.

Not with drongo's I dont. Anyone who wants to talk I'm more than happy to chew the fat with.
Your point was pointless. A cheap shot at woke-ing the racism schtick.
Nope.

He made the dig on the assumption Sess is a young black kid and talks that way because, and I quote, ''they all do''.

See any interview with Ryan Sessegnon. He doesn't talk that way.

You do keep your cliches you get from Twitter up though, buddy.

According to Livescore, Tottenham committed 11 fouls and Norwich 7. So either Spurs are a dirty team or referees favour lowly Norwich away at White Hart Lane than Spurs at home.
Plus they got a dodgy penalty the type of which Spurs have not had at all this season.
And people on here defend the FA against their own club. You can't make it up!
In general, I'm profoundly skeptical of refereeing conspiracy theories in the PL. If fans are to be believed, the refs are biased against every club, which is logically absurd.

It's obvious that the PL as an overarching organisation has a vested interest in seeing certain narratives play out. And I can buy that the higher-ups very occasionally put some kind of pressure on match officials to help extremely desirable narratives along. For example, I wouldn't be shocked at all if Leicester benefited from something similar in their fairytale season or if Liverpool were currently benefiting from the same.

But there are obvious and very significant self-promoting storylines in both cases: "bottom-half team comes from nowhere to win it all: any club could win the most exciting league in the world!" and "plucky underdog club with huge international fanbase finally clinches league after decades of near misses and even a CL win!" The idea that the PL is micromanaging league results according to some table of preference hanging up on a wall at head office is, however, infinitely more preposterous.

An alternative explanation is the non-conspiratorial psychological angle: that individual refs are bent (highly unlikely to have any meaningful unbalanced effect on any one team over a season; they'll all have their proclivities and plain poor performances) or, somewhat more plausibly, that a sort of mass psychosis takes hold during e.g. Leicester's winning season, wherein the refs themselves get a bit swept up in the magic of it all and the accompanying pressure.

Ultimately, these are guys whose livelihoods are based on possessing an impressive mentality that allows them to remain mostly calm, fair and neutral within the limits of their ability. And in an environment, no less, where the dangers of being assaulted or worse are so great in some countries and lower level leagues that they simply can't find enough refs anymore. You have to seriously love the game and value its integrity to put up with the kind of shite you have to go through to get to a stage in life where you're reffing the PL (in most cases). At the very least, if you're a ref, you probably had that passion and sense of fairness at some point.

All these dark whisperings of sinister conspiracies...

Given that its pretty clear that man walked on the moon, jihadists flew planes into the twin towers and vaccinations don't make your children autistic, I think its clear how close to the truth such ideas are
I believe the opposite of all these things more than I believe in refereeing conspiracies. Except the fake moon-landing theory. I never really got that one. I'd argue that the probable moon-landing was the pinnacle of human civilisation and it's all been downhill ever since.

Back
Top Bottom