Juan Foyth

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He’s actually pretty strong, is very quick, his tackling, especially standing, is also very good.
His biggest and most glaring flaw is his over confidence in his ability to dribble out of trouble, or trying to pick an eye of the needle pass. Its a recipy for disaster and results in some dreadful errors.

I’m confident Mourinho won’t bin him, but if he does I will be very disappointed. Doubt many will agree but I’ve no doubt he will be a much better center half than Sanchez in the future.

He doesnt have the agression and dominance of to be a top centre back

He doesnt have the agression and dominance of to be a top centre back
I think you're incorrect. But not only incorrect, but also possibly up way past your curfew and way too many drinks in to make sense. I don't think the issue is of developing a sense of aggression and dominance, so much as one of developing a sense of discipline and timing. Foyth has aggression and potential dominance to spare, if he develops physically. But he lacks the discipline and timing of those defensive tackles to make him a dominant defensive unit.

Ii think he can still come good but he needs this "I can dribble the ball out of defence" bollocks trained out of him.

John Stones was similar IIRC, he thought he was great on the ball, held it up, let the attacker close him down then tried to pass to his partner CB or FB who by then had been closed down, playing them into trouble.

A good bollocking, advise and good coaching is all he needs.

He's so good on the ball that right back is probably more likely his future than defensive midfield in terms of position changes.

Not the quickest so wouldn't be a lung buster like Walker. But if Mourinho could turn him into an Azpilicueta, Ferreira, Ivanovic type, we are still laughing.

It had been suggested that he could leave on loan in the January transfer window, although Tottenham manager José Mourinho ruled that out in the middle of December.
That was pretty definitive, but his agent says differently, telling Inter Dipendenza; “We are evaluating the possibility of going out in the January market. We wait for this week to find clarity with Tottenham.”

I think you're incorrect. But not only incorrect, but also possibly up way past your curfew and way too many drinks in to make sense. I don't think the issue is of developing a sense of aggression and dominance, so much as one of developing a sense of discipline and timing. Foyth has aggression and potential dominance to spare, if he develops physically. But he lacks the discipline and timing of those defensive tackles to make him a dominant defensive unit.

I'll be sure to dig this up in a few years

Would it be possible to move the Foyth discussion from Gregoriu thread to here? It does not have any connection to thread where it was posted...

But when I read it, i went to check the stats and discovered that during his whole career he has only played 2870 minutes of adult football!!! Less than 32 full games. (EDIT - I forgot his Argentina minutes before - he has participated in 10 games and racked up further 865 minutes - total of 41,5 full games)

Yea-yea, I get he is 22 and all but at this age you should still play football with men. How the hell are you supposed to develop and become "top CB at 27" if you play academy football or only train up until that point?

I would actually go as far to say that with virtually 0 experience by this age (22 is not a child anymore!) his progress has been already massively halted and odds are well against him to make it as top class CB. It is okay not to have played EPL football... but to play just... NO FOOTBALL at all. I mean baffling way to "nurture a talent"... for which some here praised Poch with no end.

Foyth needs to play in my opinion. Yes Tanganga has showed that he can be included as well, but there is no reason why Foyth and Tanganga cannot compete for minutes over the rest of the season. Dav is clearly our best CB right now and needs to play every game, which is great for his development too as he is still young.

The Jan / Toby situation is clear for us all to see now that they are only a shadow of their former selves and we would be hurting our long-term prospects if we continue to overplay them. I honestly can't see how Foyth would defend worse than either Toby or Jan if given a chance, as they are both painfully average (or worse!) right now.

Toby obviously has his signature long-ball ping which is keeping him in a job at the moment, but how many times already have we seen him being dribbled at by attackers only to retreat side-on and allow them to shoot or create? This is not anywhere near the level of defending we used to get from one of the best 1v1 defenders in the league.

Foyth, Tanganga and even Davinson will make mistakes too, but they need to make those mistakes in order to learn, and not simply watch our veteran CBs making mistakes and go unpunished by selection.

Foyth needs to play in my opinion. Yes Tanganga has showed that he can be included as well, but there is no reason why Foyth and Tanganga cannot compete for minutes over the rest of the season. Dav is clearly our best CB right now and needs to play every game, which is great for his development too as he is still young.

The Jan / Toby situation is clear for us all to see now that they are only a shadow of their former selves and we would be hurting our long-term prospects if we continue to overplay them. I honestly can't see how Foyth would defend worse than either Toby or Jan if given a chance, as they are both painfully average (or worse!) right now.

Toby obviously has his signature long-ball ping which is keeping him in a job at the moment, but how many times already have we seen him being dribbled at by attackers only to retreat side-on and allow them to shoot or create? This is not anywhere near the level of defending we used to get from one of the best 1v1 defenders in the league.

Foyth, Tanganga and even Davinson will make mistakes too, but they need to make those mistakes in order to learn, and not simply watch our veteran CBs making mistakes and go unpunished by selection.

Foyth has too much quality to be discarded. He is still inexperienced but has potential and with the right coaching can develop into a great player. I think we will regret letting him go if that is what we do.

Foyth has good football basics such as passing, dribbling, tackling, heading. If we can't sign a target man and JM wants to play long, no harm trying him there. He is still young and versatile. We have seen good defender-turn-forward players before.

I don't think he is anywhere near ready for starting in this league and i'm not sure what a loan to an extremely slow paced league will do to help tbh. Hopefully he does well so his price will go up.

Back
Top Bottom