Jan Vertonghen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Vertonghen and Alderweireld are nowhere near the players they were. Sad but inescapable.

Neither they nor Sanchez are given the protection thry need but they used to be Rolls Royce defenders. No longer the case.

As in every part of our squad, apart from striker, where we need additions, we need to find better.

Those who can't see that can't see.

Vertonghen and Alderweireld are nowhere near the players they were. Sad but inescapable.

Neither they nor Sanchez are given the protection thry need but they used to be Rolls Royce defenders. No longer the case.

As in every part of our squad, apart from striker, where we need additions, we need to find better.

Those who can't see that can't see.

Pretty obvious to me that Jan and Toby are top CBS, and played their best when Dier, Wanyama and Dembele were all peak.
Both would improve City, Chelsea, Utd and it’s a bit strange that you see how they have suffered from having no DM, but still would rather replace them than see if they return to their level with a top DM in the side.

We need to defend from the front and that’s exactly where I’d start our rebuild.
Striker. And not a player that will just slip into oblivion when Kane is back but one that will make us genuinely wonder if Kane should walk back into the side.
And a DM who can bring the ball out from the back, bypassing our powder puff, counter attack killing “creative” mids.

That will do a lot more for our defence than signing a CB who will still have to deal with all the mistakes and gaps and constant onslaught still being caused by those in front of him.

Pretty obvious to me that Jan and Toby are top CBS, and played their best when Dier, Wanyama and Dembele were all peak.
Both would improve City, Chelsea, Utd and it’s a bit strange that you see how they have suffered from having no DM, but still would rather replace them than see if they return to their level with a top DM in the side.

We need to defend from the front and that’s exactly where I’d start our rebuild.
Striker. And not a player that will just slip into oblivion when Kane is back but one that will make us genuinely wonder if Kane should walk back into the side.
And a DM who can bring the ball out from the back, bypassing our powder puff, counter attack killing “creative” mids.

That will do a lot more for our defence than signing a CB who will still have to deal with all the mistakes and gaps and constant onslaught still being caused by those in front of him.

Yes to much if not all of that but decline is invariably linked to age. Just a function of life.

Both have slightly less pace, are just that bit less able and make mistakes that they did not before.

Of course if they had better protection as I said they would not be as exposed but at their best they would still have been better than they are today.

For me Vertonghen has been our best central defender since Ledley King. He ain't that anymore, sadly.

I hate saying it because for me Jan is as close to a Spurs legend (relatively speaking) in this squad as there is but the man looks finished due to losing pace as mentioned by others. I can't see him being happy with a backup role either, most top CBs who lose their pace just end up at PL strugglers/championship sides towards the end of the career.

With Davies injured, Foyth erratic and Sanchez seemingly in the cold, he'll likely play every match under Mourinho though which is worrying against teams with pace.

Now I'm not saying that he should still be playing for us, but his recent shortcomings are also due to the fact that we don't have a proper midfield. He lost pace, but so have other defenders his age who are still performing decently at this level. The CB partnering him also matters.

You can be a world class defender and still concede a lot of goals if the team is playing badly. (Exhibit A: Van Dijk at Southampton)

VERTONGHEN COY ON FUTURE
Jan Vertonghen
remains coy regarding his future at Tottenham.
Vertonghen's current deal is due to expire this summer.
He said: “I feel like everything I say will affect it in one way or the other, so I prefer not to answer.
“I’m a happy man. I love the guys. Life is good in London and at this great club. That’s all I want to say.”

I personally think he has earned the right for a new deal, he's been loyal.

VERTONGHEN COY ON FUTURE
Jan Vertonghen
He said: “I feel like everything I say will affect it in one way or the other, so I prefer not to answer.
“I’m a happy man. I love the guys. Life is good in London and at this great club. That’s all I want to say.”

How longs has it been since we had a testimonial for a player? Jan has been great and once we get settled defence Jan will still have a place in the team IMO.

There is a place in our squad for him, but he can't be first choice anymore. A one year deal as a rotation player is all we should offer him. If that's not enough for him then time to shake hands and move on. Great player for us but he's clearly fading now.

VERTONGHEN COY ON FUTURE
Jan Vertonghen

Sadly it's not about loyalty, it's about productivity. I love Jan and wouldn't be against giving him a new deal but we have to think about the squad quotas and as it is we just have too many players taking up places that don't offer what they used to (Vorm, Jan, Dier, Wanyama etc).

We really do need a CB so what we need to ask ourselves is do we shift Jan, Davinson or Foyth? Based on shelf life and long term value to the club Jan is slowly making his way down that list, which pains me to say as I've absolutely loved the guy. Tough call to make a 1 year deal yes, 2 years and I think it's best we let him pursue something elsewhere.

I love Jan, and would hate to see him go. I have a scarf tacked on my wall that he threw to me in the stands at an exhibition game here in the states. But, it seems to me that we should be phasing in youth, i.e. Sanchez and Tango. Jan and Toby provide experience at CB which is valuable, but we must look to the future also.

VERTONGHEN COY ON FUTURE
Jan Vertonghen

Eriksen? ...Rose? ....Are you watching?

That's how you bat back unwanted questions, FFS....

Fuckin' respect to Supa-Jan.:tobyarm:

Thanks for everything Jan. Been our best player at times during your time with us.

Father time has caught up with you my friend. I hope that after your contract is up that we find a role for you at the club, because you're one of the most respected guys here.

Thanks for everything Jan. Been our best player at times during your time with us.

Father time has caught up with you my friend. I hope that after your contract is up that we find a role for you at the club, because you're one of the most respected guys here.

wasn’t easy to watch that, you could tell he knew.

Back
Top Bottom