Jose Mourinho

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I'm well aware of how we were playing and the theories to the struggles, we've gone back and forth on such matters for a year now. I don't think we are too far away from each other on the issues either, however where we differ is that he never had the personnel available to him, be that down to fitness (post-world cup and general fitness), fresh faces, form and playing away from home for 2 seasons all have an impact. You simply don't forget how to play.

As for the kids, I agree, however, there is no evidence that those lads (not played) were good enough, they are still yet to show that they were, not one of them has proved him wrong. Even Bentaleb, who was at the heart of this rejuvenation has been largely crap at in Germany. I'm not in total disagreement, he did even better things with the Southampton squad than with ours, almost all of them nowhere near as good once he was gone or they were sold. And yes, I'm also torn on the KWP should have played instead of Tripps or Aurier argument, same with Velcovic instead of Sissoko. It's a genuine argument to be had but it's not conclusive given none of them have proved him wrong.

You ought to tell Levy about the youth then because in his world we should be stacking the first team with talent from our academy so ENIC don't have to dip their greedy little hands in the transfer funds.

Ok Guido, here's the thing mate, if Poch lacked personnel and that was the reason behind our huge downfall under him, then answer me this, who is to blame for that?

Who were the ones that not only failed to back the last manager but also who fired him and hired (in your opinion) a Jose Mourinho who is no longer at his best and who is no longer a world class manager?

I mean, it's pretty obvious here who the common denominator is when it comes to our continued failure, would you agree?

Because let's be real for a second here mate, you continue to criticise Mourinho, a man who has won things his entire career and who was hired to stop a ship from sinking, you keep saying over and over again how he hasn't improved us (which given the short time he has been here and the shit he has been left with I feel is unfair to say) but nonetheless, irrespective of all of that, who hired him?

At what point do people start thinking "hold on a minute? Manager after manager sacked, over a decade without a trophy, a continuous pattern of managers failing because they have been let down in the transfer market, hmmm, there seems to be a common theme here..."

Look, I don't know if what you say about Mourinho is accurate or inaccurate, only time will tell with that one, his career suggests that he is a winner and that wherever he goes, he wins things.

However, what I do know is this, unless the owners change their attitude towards this football club and more importantly, stop taking the piss out of paying supporters with their fucking austerity version of modern football whilst participating in reaping the benefits of the oil money football transfers when they can get a sale on a player then I am afraid fuck all will change, doesn't matter who the manager is.

Instead of focusing on Mourinho or being upset still about the sacking of Poch why not direct your anger at the cunts running this club who literally couldn't give a flying fuck about us achieving anything but a healthy bank balance for themselves.

I have yet to see you criticise them.

Last edited:
Instead of focusing on Mourinho or being upset still about the sacking of Poch why not direct your anger at the cunts running this club who literally couldn't give a flying fuck about us achieving anything but a healthy bank balance for themselves.

We signed almost half a billion worth of players under Poch; including (approx) 170m this past summer.

Poch was unable to integrate many of those signings into the squad. Many of them barely got a chance to play.

We signed almost half a billion worth of players under Poch; including (approx) 170m this past summer.

Poch was unable to integrate many of those signings into the squad. Many of them barely got a chance to play.

I agree with you about Poch not being able to integrate the players, BUt with the £170 million claim, I see it differently.

Tanguy £54m. Sessegnon £24.3m. Jack Clark £9.9m - that’s £88.2m...and of course that’s reported fees only & none of them would be lump sum payments.

I’d suggest not even 50% went out as actual transfer fees last summer, Anyone know ? that £170m is likely to be only around £40m spent last summer.

now consider that for 18 months previous no one was purchased at all & bang! over two years £20m a season on average has been spent.........

given how clubs value players as assets, on a yearly basis I bet this year these new signings have cost ( excluding wages ) about £10m,

all of a sudden the level of “investment” is simply not what we wish it were......it’s late and my maths might be wonky, but it’s worth questioning the reality of the investment, especially as transfer fees are generally false & fantasy figures only.

now the elephant in the summer window room is Lo Celso. How much is his loan fee & how much do we have to pay next summer ? Personally I’d send him back if he’s “expensive” He’s a good player but I can’t see he’s what this squad needs.

I always loved watching Tottenham's football, Redknapp, early Poch, spurs playedsome of the best football in the world. Under Mourinho I don't think I'll get that same satisfaction anymore. Shame

Watched some of the Woolwich - United game yesterday. In 3 games Artetas vision is showing. In 6 weeks I still don't have a clue what Mourinho wants. It will probably be a dreadful couple of years. And the rebuild after that, replacing Mourinhos players and trying to play modern football again will take time. I predict mid table football, with no European football for 6 years.

Watched some of the Woolwich - United game yesterday. In 3 games Artetas vision is showing. In 6 weeks I still don't have a clue what Mourinho wants. It will probably be a dreadful couple of years. And the rebuild after that, replacing Mourinhos players and trying to play modern football again will take time. I predict mid table football, with no European football for 6 years.

ou can not compare the two as Woolwich are not a bad team perse, they need a defender or two, in midfield where Emery messed up was having Torreira playing so far ahead, Arteta played 4231 with two holding players, thus giving the defence a shield, and both Granit and Torriera are capable of passing to their team mates and are better at decision making than anything we have at the moment.

What you should be concerned about is how these players of ours have played together for a good 4 years and don't know each others game inside out, constantly struggle to make passes to their own team mates, considering at all levels of football, theres an activity in which all coaches employ, as illustrated in the early training ground video, where the players are confined to a small space in a circle and the idea is two or three players try to win the ball, whilst the others pass between themselves.

The idea behind the excercise , is it builds concerntration and decision making skills.

Also Arteta has had no other competiton fixtures to contest with, whio can mourinho play in a two?

Ndombele is lets say our xhaka and we do not have a torreira type of player, some may say skipp, but the right call by Jose is to try winks,sissoko,dier and ndombele first, thus giving him a head start for the rest of the season and next season.

ndombele since the 23rd of Nov

23rd nov west ham did not feature
26th nov olympiakoas 7 min
30th bournemouth 74 min
4th dec man u 20 min
7th dec burnley did not feature
11th dec bayern did not feature
15th dec wolves did not feature
22nd dec chelsea came on for last 16 min
26th dec brighton did not feature
28th dec norwich whole game

You ought to tell Levy about the youth then because in his world we should be stacking the first team with talent from our academy so ENIC don't have to dip their greedy little hands in the transfer funds.

Ok Guido, here's the thing mate, if Poch lacked personnel and that was the reason behind our huge downfall under him, then answer me this, who is to blame for that?

Who were the ones that not only failed to back the last manager but also who fired him and hired (in your opinion) a Jose Mourinho who is no longer at his best and who is no longer a world class manager?

I mean, it's pretty obvious here who the common denominator is when it comes to our continued failure, would you agree?

Because let's be real for a second here mate, you continue to criticise Mourinho, a man who has won things his entire career and who was hired to stop a ship from sinking, you keep saying over and over again how he hasn't improved us (which given the short time he has been here and the shit he has been left with I feel is unfair to say) but nonetheless, irrespective of all of that, who hired him?

At what point do people start thinking "hold on a minute? Manager after manager sacked, over a decade without a trophy, a continuous pattern of managers failing because they have been let down in the transfer market, hmmm, there seems to be a common theme here..."

Look, I don't know if what you say about Mourinho is accurate or inaccurate, only time will tell with that one, his career suggests that he is a winner and that wherever he goes, he wins things.

However, what I do know is this, unless the owners change their attitude towards this football club and more importantly, stop taking the piss out of paying supporters with their fucking austerity version of modern football whilst participating in reaping the benefits of the oil money football transfers when they can get a sale on a player then I am afraid fuck all will change, doesn't matter who the manager is.

I have yet to see you criticise them.
I'm talking specifically about the "lack of personnel" available to him that was FIT.

We had NINE players who came back from the Wolrd Cup with no pre-season under their belts!!! Pre-season is the foundation upon which an entire season is built, our BEST players had no preseason. Then either as a direct consequence of or further bad luck we suffered the worst injury fit season in living memory.

Then he identified a "painful rebuild", one that most levelheaded football fan could see that was sorely needed, that in order to play the game that most of us have been thrilled with watching (a high-tempo, high-pressing, energetic aggressive style of football) that was blowing most teams away, we simply needed to refresh with younger players.

What a truly bizarre comment about our youth you make, there is no greater pleasure seeing a lad come through our ranks and making it into the first team, a team made up of entirely from our academy would surely be the greatest thing to witness, but only you could make it into a statement of discontent because you are so obsessed with spending money, that despite teams chucking money at players all around us and finishing below us every season you still have the naivety to look at spending rather than the academy as a solution!

Why are you having a pop at me about Levy?!! I haven't even mentioned his name. I've critiqued what we have, what we are working with. It appears to me that you want to now slag off Levy because you thought Jose is the man, the man that you claimed will take us to the next level because he's a "winner" you pinned your reputation to Jose.

Now that this man, the man that I think is a "has been", looks to be totally lost in the new modern world of football, frozen to the touchline unable to put out a team motivated, unprepared and know what they are supposed to be doing, selecting the wrong personnel (he has a virtually fit squad to select from) for the game, backing the plodders with new contracts, rather than hold your hands up and admit this manager is a spent force you can't bring yourself to critique him. So instead you must find another person to blame. I mean it's not the manager's fault, surely not he's a "winner".

You can't take a swing at Levy if you thought Jose was the greatest manager the club has ever signed, you can only applaud him for appointing him, which is exactly what you and others all did.

Now, I have every right to slag off Levy for sacking Poch and hiring this has been. And I will. I'm fucking fuming that he sacked Poch and brought in this twat. I will no doubt get around to posting my displeasure on this, but this is the Jose thread. And this is where I will talk about his incompetence as a manager unable to manage at the top of the game anymore.

Anyone who backed the hiring of Jose, who was excited by his appointment and then wants to pile into Levy should look at their hypocritical selves first. As it means both you and he were aligned and you both thought it was right, you can't then start pointing the finger.

Take a deep breath and assess this manager carefully. Take off the "winner" specs and assess this manager as if his name is "Mr Smith". Take a look at our performances, take a look at how we were set-up, what we did when we were playing well and what we did when playing poorly and then frame this within the context of who we played. We are STILL shit and we are getting worse.

Last edited:
I agree with you about Poch not being able to integrate the players, BUt with the £170 million claim, I see it differently.

Tanguy £54m. Sessegnon £24.3m. Jack Clark £9.9m - that’s £88.2m...and of course that’s reported fees only & none of them would be lump sum payments.

I’d suggest not even 50% went out as actual transfer fees last summer, Anyone know ? that £170m is likely to be only around £40m spent last summer.

now consider that for 18 months previous no one was purchased at all & bang! over two years £20m a season on average has been spent.........

given how clubs value players as assets, on a yearly basis I bet this year these new signings have cost ( excluding wages ) about £10m,

all of a sudden the level of “investment” is simply not what we wish it were......it’s late and my maths might be wonky, but it’s worth questioning the reality of the investment, especially as transfer fees are generally false & fantasy figures only.

now the elephant in the summer window room is Lo Celso. How much is his loan fee & how much do we have to pay next summer ? Personally I’d send him back if he’s “expensive” He’s a good player but I can’t see he’s what this squad needs.

Id say we spent about 40m in cash of that 100m in transfers. Rest to follow in subsequent years.

Its still money though, even if you pay further down the line.

Thing is, you dont need to spend every year. But you need to invest heavily at the start of a new cycle. Weve been net spend zero for 5 years. This squad needs 200m thrown at it to come good.

I'm talking specifically about the "lack of personnel" available to him that was FIT.

We had NINE players who came back from the Wolrd Cup with no pre-season under their belts!!! Pre-season is the foundation upon which an entire season is built, our BEST players had no preseason. Then either as a direct consequence of or further bad luck we suffered the worst injury fit season in living memory.

Then he identified a "painful rebuild", one that most levelheaded football fan could see that was sorely needed, that in order to play the game that most of us have been thrilled with watching (a high-tempo, high-pressing, energetic aggressive style of football) that was blowing most teams away, we simply needed to refresh with younger players.

What a truly bizarre comment about our youth you make, there is no greater pleasure seeing a lad come through our ranks and making it into the first team, a team made up of entirely from our academy would surely be the greatest thing to witness, but only you could make it into a statement of discontent because you are so obsessed with spending money, that despite teams chucking money at players all around us and finishing below us every season you still have the naivety to look at spending rather than the academy as a solution!

Why are you having a pop at me about Levy?!! I haven't even mentioned his name. I've critiqued what we have, what we are working with. It appears to me that you want to now slag off Levy because you thought Jose is the man, the man that you claimed will take us to the next level because he's a "winner" you pinned your reputation to Jose.

Now that this man, the man that I think is a "has been", looks to be totally lost in the new modern world of football, frozen to the touchline unable to put out a team motivated, unprepared and know what they are supposed to be doing, selecting the wrong personnel (he has a virtually fit squad to select from) for the game, backing the plodders with new contracts, rather than hold your hands up and admit this manager is a spent force you can't bring yourself to critique him. So instead you must find another person to blame. I mean it's not the manager's fault, surely not he's a "winner".

You can't take a swing at Levy if you thought Jose was the greatest manager the club has ever signed, you can only applaud him for appointing him, which is exactly what you and others all did.

Now, I have every wight to slag off Levy for sacking Poch and hiring this has been. And I will. I'm fucking fuming that he sacked Poch and brought in this twat. I will no doubt get around to posting my displeasure on this, but this is the Jose thread. And this is where I will talk about his incompetence as a manager unable to manage at the top of the game anymore.

Anyone who backed the hiring of Jose, who was excited by his appointment and then wants to pile into Levy should look at their hypocritical selves first. As it means both you and he were aligned and you both thought it was right, you can't then start pointing the finger.

Take a deep breath and assess this manager carefully. Take off the "winner" specs and assess this manager as if his name is "Mr Smith". Take a look at our performances, take a look at how we were set-up, what we did when we were playing well and what we did when playing poorly and then frame this within the context of who we played. We are STILL shit and we are getting worse.

Lovely reading. Couldn't agree more.

As disgusting as this analogy may sound, it's the best way to discribe the situation. Mourinho is cancer. The sooner we get rid the better chances of the club surviving. The longer we keep him around the more cells will be affected and the rehab will take even longer. I hope we undergo surgery before the patient dies.

He was brought into improve us and win stuff.

The fact people are judging his tenure after 11 games, of which we have won 6 and still sit 6pts off 4th after three total shit games is fairly absurd.
Didn’t we give the last manager 5 years and say it wasn’t long enough to judge?

Some players have improved. Some are piss poor.
I find it odd that when someone wants to criticise Jose, they point to the lack of improvement in the team.
But flit through the threads and the same posters won’t hear a bad word about Dele, Kane or Ndombeles performances...

The fact people are judging his tenure after 11 games, of which we have won 6 and still sit 6pts off 4th after three total shit games is fairly absurd.

I find it odd that when someone wants to criticise Jose, they point to the lack of improvement in the team.
But flit through the threads and the same posters won’t hear a bad word about Dele, Kane or Ndombeles performances...
And yet no one has heard a word from you about our performances under Jose.

He's not being "judged" he's being critiqued. His time to be judged is at the end of the season, if you want to not say a word about how you think he's doing before the end of the season then I guess that can be seen as a positive for the thread and the forum, every cloud has a silver lining and all that.

Did you enjoy the Southampton (a relegation candidate team) game?
Did you enjoy the Norwich (bottom of the league) game?
Did you enjoy being comprehensively outplayed by Utd, who then were then in turn comprehensively outplayed by Woolwich, who also have a new manager just 2 weeks into his job?
Did you enjoy being comprehensively outplayed by Wolves?
Did you enjoy being comprehensively outplayed by Chavs (with their rookie manager, who up to the point of playing us had only won 1 game from their last 5 losing all the others)?
Why are we not improving from game to game?
Why are we so flat and unmotivated to play for the greatest manager on planet football?
Why does he get his team selections so wrong?
Why does he not change things when it's clearly going pearshaped?

Does it fill you with confidence that the Worlds greatest manager actually has a clue in what he's doing, do you know what his tactics are? How we are set up trying to play? What our identity is?
Why is he picking the players that you think are shit and should have been sold and/dropped never to wear the shirt again?

Dig your grave, Sammy, dig your grave.

And yet no one has heard a word from you about our performances under Jose.

He's not being "judged" he's being critiqued. His time to be judged is at the end of the season, if you want to not say a word about how you think he's doing before the end of the season then I guess that can be seen as a positive for the thread and the forum, every cloud has a silver lining and all that.

Did you enjoy the Southampton (a relegation candidate team) game?
Did you enjoy the Norwich (bottom of the league) game?
Did you enjoy being comprehensively outplayed by Utd, who then were then in turn comprehensively outplayed by Woolwich, who also have a new manager just 2 weeks into his job?
Did you enjoy being comprehensively outplayed by Wolves?
Did you enjoy being comprehensively outplayed by Chavs (with their rookie manager, who up to the point of playing us had only won 1 game from their last 5 losing all the others)?
Why are we not improving from game to game?
Why are we so flat and unmotivated to play for the greatest manager on planet football?
Why does he get his team selections so wrong?
Why does he not change things when it's clearly going pearshaped?

Does it fill you with confidence that the Worlds greatest manager actually has a clue in what he's doing, do you know what his tactics are? How we are set up trying to play? What our identity is?
Why is he picking the players that you think are shit and should have been sold and/dropped never to wear the shirt again?

Dig your grave, Sammy, dig your grave.
I haven’t posted for two months....maybe that’s why?

Jose is picking players that he has had just 1.5 days of a transfer window to replace.
Odd isn’t it?
I think our performances had improved massively up until we shit our pants against Chelsea.
11 games, three totally shit ones. Unacceptable shit games.
I have confidence that he recognises a team needs a DM. That’s why he uses one. Unfortunately he’s ill again, but I’m pretty sure we will target one....I can’t slag him off for not signing a DM on January 2.

There’s an interesting paradox here that you say he’s picked the wrong team and “what do I think about that?”.
You know full well I think Dele should not be playing every week, that Ndombele is an overatted sick note and that Aurier is shit.
So I clearly have issues when they are picked.

I’m also a massive advocate of benching Kane at times, where as you are not. Yet you are all about posting the data to say he’s been overplayed....

You have judged a squad, and you have judged a chairman, and defended a manager to the hilt for a year of relegation form as having his hands tied. Yet under the very same parameters, you think Jose should have them a few points behind Liverpool or something?

You rate Aurier mate. Let that sink in before you complain about how we play.

Welcome back

Jose is picking players that he has had just 1.5 days of a transfer window to replace.
Odd isn’t it?
I think our performances had improved massively up until we shit our pants against Chelsea.
I have confidence that he recognises a team needs a DM. That’s why he uses one. Unfortunately he’s ill again, but I’m pretty sure we will target one....I can’t slag him off for not signing a DM on January 2.

There’s an interesting paradox here that you say he’s picked the wrong team and “what do I think about that?”.
You know full well I think Dele should not be playing every week, that Ndombele is an overatted sick note and that Aurier is shit.

I’m also a massive advocate of benching Kane at times, where as you are not. Yet you are all about posting the data to say he’s been overplayed....

You have judged a squad, and you have judged a chairman, and defended a manager to the hilt for a year of relegation form as having his hands tied. Yet under the very same parameters, you think Jose should have them a few points behind Liverpool or something?

Oh wait, so you say that you would have posted about him were you able to these past couple of months, but take aim at those that have been posting about him. RightO.

You are completely confusing "performance" with "results".

Our results picked up, as they should have done when you make a manger change (look at Watford, look at Everton, look at Woolwich, look at West Ham). I predicted they would too before we even kicked a ball under Jose and have recognised this in my posts a number of times now.

Our performances are not improved though, our positive results were against relegation battling sides where we scrapped by the skin of our teeth (with the exception of Burnely where I thought we played our only complete performance under Jose to date, but this is the worst Burnley side since they came up into the PL). Apart from that Burnely game the best we've played is a 45mins, against the other 45 mins where we were arguably not the best of the two sides (against West Ham I thought we were the better side but despite this, we were lucky that day that idiot of a keeper was playing as he chucked the ball into his own net 3 times if Fabianski was playing those goals wouldn't have been scored and we would have lost.

If we had lost a game but played well, with an identity, with intensity, with a clear plan I would have applauded this, this is what I'm looking for. (Whilst the Chavs beating Woolwich was fun as it involved them conceding two late goals, their performance showed huge improvement in how they were playing under Arteta, he had been there a matter of days, their performance against Utd only goes on to further underline massive improvements in their performance, plus they got the result). THIS is what we should be looking at with our games under Jose to date, not the fucking results. They are two entirely different things.

Jose wasn't brought in to rebuild this team, it has been constantly told this from his announcement, his first press conf and subsequent press conferences. I'm sure there will be one or two players coming in, but there will be no rebuild. And if there is, this man isn't the man to do it, but that's a whole new debate. So, let's just stick to critiquing the man on what he is doing or not doing. It's all we can do, the world doesn't stop and we have to wait for a window to open before we can assess how things look.

Ndombele isn't ill, he's injured and Jose is fully aware of this injury, he was a complete dick for playing him and now he'll be out for what could be a number of weeks. Dele has been the only pleasure to watch under Jose, so odd that you double down on your spite, the other player that has been one of our better performers under Jose has been Auier but I guess when you have a bias you have a bias and absolutely nothing will change that other than an optician and a dose of humility.

I posted those states on Kane because he hasn't been subbed off once or rotated (Poch used to do this) and I support this, please find me a single post where I've not been an advocate of this, please Sammy don't make stuff up again, why do you always do this, lie?

Odd isn’t it?

Of course team selection is a part of the issue, but at this current moment none of our players look like they are Premier League material. I don't believe that no one of our players are capable of highest level.

For me the issue is tactical approach. It's still possible to play defensive counter football in modern days, but not the way we do. We look like kids or sunday league players out there. If you wanna teach kids to sit deep you have to repeat over and over again that it doesn't mean switch off, but that they have to be aggressive every time the opposition enters a given zone. So at this point our tactics are at sunday league level. Our Womens Team may leave a bigger dent in our opposition at this point.

For me, the easiest way to get players stuck in challenges is adopting a high press game. This seems to give players a more aggressive output. Only issue is, it's hard to keep up for 90 mins

Of course team selection is a part of the issue, but at this current moment none of our players look like they are Premier League material. I don't believe that no one of our players are capable of highest level.

For me the issue is tactical approach. It's still possible to play defensive counter football in modern days, but not the way we do. We look like kids or sunday league players out there. If you wanna teach kids to sit deep you have to repeat over and over again that it doesn't mean switch off, but that they have to be aggressive every time the opposition enters a given zone. So at this point our tactics are at sunday league level. Our Womens Team may leave a bigger dent in our opposition at this point.

For me, the easiest way to get players stuck in challenges is adopting a high press game. This seems to give players a more aggressive output. Only issue is, it's hard to keep up for 90 mins

Our counter attacks are murdered by Dele and Eriksen.
I’d like to see Lamela, Moura and Son play ahead of Sissoko and Dier/Skipp

Back
Top Bottom