Tottenham Hotspur v Burnley (7/12/19) (3pm)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

“The point about football in Britain is that it is not just a sport people take to, like cricket or tennis or running long distances. It is inherent in the people. It is built into the urban psyche. It is not a phenomenon; it is an everyday matter. There is more eccentricity in deliberately disregarding it than in devoting a life to it. Its sudden withdrawal from the people would bring deeper disconsolation than to deprive them of television. The way we play the game, organise it and reward it reflects the kind of community we are."

Arthur Hopcraft - 1968

Last edited:
Doesn’t he play LB for Belgium? Or at least he used to? - I think he’s pretty happy filling in. 👍🏻

There was a time when we used him as a LB and he wasn't exactly excited about it (even though he did play LB for Belgium at that time as well)... said that CB was his preferred position. In the current context I do think he's ok with this position. Times have changed.

Can't stop watching THAT GOAL, the way Sonny vapourises the defence, it's astonishing.

Does Jan get an assist?

People have compared it to Maradona in 1986, it actually reminded me more of this by Saeed Al-Owairan eight years later, one of my favourite non-Spurs goals...

None of this makes sense to me.

Yes any PL a player does those things. Dier did so at a high rate this game. Not every PL player does that.

Yes he’s big so we should expect strength. That doesn’t mean that when he uses his strength well we shouldn’t care.

For me it’s like saying “yeah Kane’s goals were good but he has a strong shot so I’d expect it, it’s the first line in his job description”

Who cares that it was against Burnleys journeymen??? Were the rest of our team not playing against burnley? Did nobody have a good game because it’s burnleys journeyman? Was sonny’s Goal bang-average because burnley?

This whole post to me reads like “Yeah he was good but it doesn’t count”

But whatever, I guess I just don’t get it. Great match today COYS

Of course it counts. It's 3 points and sixth place.

Can you name me any PL player who can't pass, head the ball or tackle (other than Wheelchair!)? It's what they're paid to do.

Again, I said Dier had an OK game - not "fantastic", or "our best player" - just OK.

He dealt with balls coming out of the sky because that's what I'd expect a 6' 2" DM to do - it's why he's in the team.

The next few weeks when he's up against Pulisic, Kovacic, Kante, Neves and Dendoncker who will run at him with the ball at their feet, will show whether he's back to 2016-7 levels.

I've no idea where (or understand) your Kane and Son analogies have come from as I've never mentioned them. Son's goal is clearly Goal of the Season material.

Lets get the last few weeks into perspective. Under Mourinho we've rolled over Wham (just), Bournemouth (just), Olympiacos and Burnley. Lost to ManU (a game that is REALLY important if we still think top 4 is possible). I'm certainly not an 'half empty' person but we need to measure our performances against the opposition. Burnley were awful yesterday.

Wolves and Chelsea (our next two PL games) will give as a better idea as to whether Mouruniho really is the messiah.

Of course it counts. It's 3 points and sixth place.

Can you name me any PL player who can't pass, head the ball or tackle (other than Wheelchair!)? It's what they're paid to do.

Again, I said Dier had an OK game - not "fantastic", or "our best player" - just OK.

He dealt with balls coming out of the sky because that's what I'd expect a 6' 2" DM to do - it's why he's in the team.

The next few weeks when he's up against Pulisic, Kovacic, Kante, Neves and Dendoncker who will run at him with the ball at their feet, will show whether he's back to 2016-7 levels.

I've no idea where (or understand) your Kane and Son analogies have come from as I've never mentioned them. Son's goal is clearly Goal of the Season material.

Lets get the last few weeks into perspective. Under Mourinho we've rolled over Wham (just), Bournemouth (just), Olympiacos and Burnley. Lost to ManU (a game that is REALLY important if we still think top 4 is possible). I'm certainly not an 'half empty' person but we need to measure our performances against the opposition. Burnley were awful yesterday.

Wolves and Chelsea (our next two PL games) will give as a better idea as to whether Mouruniho really is the messiah.
He’s not the Messiah, he’s a very naughty boy.

One for the teenagers, that.

A piece of individual magic but I remember a similar goal of Sonny a couple of years back, at Wembley when he ran all the way down the right side and we were yelling at him to pass it (thinking it was going to be taken off him) but he ran on and scored.
My memory is crap, but wasn’t that against Real?

A piece of individual magic but I remember a similar goal of Sonny a couple of years back, at Wembley when he ran all the way down the right side and we were yelling at him to pass it (thinking it was going to be taken off him) but he ran on and scored.
My memory is crap, but wasn’t that against Real?
Not really similar, but you are probably talking about (also watch David Luiz!) :

Mourinho wants Dele, Son and Kane firing. This has to be the game where Kane puts in a top class performance and bags a couple of goals.

Our creativity must come from Dele, so I expect Burnley to double up on him. This will leave space for Sissoko to advance in midfield with more time on the ball.

This game suits us. We suffer against teams that press high and force us to make quick decisions. Burnley will likely sit back and let us build out game.

A win takes us 6 points off Chelsea.

We need to send a message to the other teams in the league. Big win for Spurs.

Spurs 5 - 1 Burnley

Alli (7), Kane (16, 32, 84), Lo Celso (80)

Well, I was close!

So we dismantle a very decent team and score 2 goals that will be up there for goal of the season, but the main thing is to pile into Eric Dier ...
Thought apart from once where he gave the ball away to easily he had a decent game? He has been out for a long time so he needs minutes to get back to his best, and it’s no coincidence we have won every game he has played in under Jose and lost every game he hasn’t :mourbye:
On a serious note though we look so much better with a decent DM , and he is the best we have at the moment so hopefully people try and get behind him

Can't stop watching THAT GOAL, the way Sonny vapourises the defence, it's astonishing.

Does Jan get an assist?

People have compared it to Maradona in 1986, it actually reminded me more of this by Saeed Al-Owairan eight years later, one of my favourite non-Spurs goals...

The Desert Pele

Back
Top Bottom