Tonight has really opened my eyes to the issues we face.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I am not traditionally a fan of Mourinho but I am giving him a chance to show a new side of him, and to give him the time to do what needs to be done to address our issues. He has an outstanding base of players to work with but there are clearly weaknesses in the squad.

Agree with the general sentiment, but I don't actually think he does have an 'outstanding' base of players. He has a formidable attack, most certainly, but the rest is bang average. A lot of our hopes rest on Ndombele and Lo Celso turning out to be fantastic, but I'm not sure any of us know how that will pan out. If they stumble, we have a very poor midfield and an ageing, creaky defence.

We could and should've battered this Man Utd side with that Norwegian PE teacher in charge but the players simply let us AND Jose down.

It's fucking pathetic. I hope the likes of Eriksen (why the fuck is he still in the first team???), the two Belgian prats and some others who do not wish to be a Spurs player anymore FUCK OFF ASAP.

If anyone, apart from Brendan Rogers maybe, Jose is the right man to sort this out.
He may be the humble one to the press but I would bet that back in the dressing room and on the training pitch he is giving them the hairdryer treatment.

Team selection for Burnley may give us a few pointers as to his thinking.

I'm not sure why people are so shocked by what happened or is currently happening - Poch over achieved with what he had. Our squad is fundamentally flawed and requires a serious overhaul - one I believe the club can not afford.

Ah, yea, Spurs cannot afford to buy talented players. Too expensive, too difficult.
Remarkable giant, that is Leicester with endless pockets and cashflows could build a team that breaks into top 3 but poor little Spurs couldnt.

What a load of crap.

It is getting really boring and predictable to see the mood swings in here taking 180 degree turns game after game. Football is team sport and sometimes only some changes can have remarkable impact.
Remember how things changed when we brought Alderweireld?? 1 player, 12 mil eur. And overnight we had pretty much the best defense in the league.

We have proven players, we have potential and we have talent. I believe that changes to few key changes could help to turn around things. Get in a good DM for a start, and we'll see ...

Not sure about that.
Rashford just got the ball and ran straight at our defence, causing chaos. Nobody stopped him.
That is not exactly a tactic.
Well whatever it was, his team dominated ours for the most part. Seemed pretty easy for them to nullify us. They could have been 3-0 up after the first half hour. I think ole won that battle. He got his players playing better than mourinho did ours.

Last edited:
For me, the most worrying thing is that we made a very poor United look like a very good side. But Let’s not fool ourselves. OT has historically been a hard ground for THFC to get a result at.
I’m not going to lose my shit just yet, but we were really poor last night. Didn’t get going at all. Players looking tired, disinterested and out of their depth against the weakest united team in a very long time.
Mourinho needs to get a grip of this squad and wipe the floor with some of them.
It wasn’t good enough from any of them last night (perhaps Dele aside who looked lively at least)
Horrible performance and we got exactly what we deserved.

I believe that Mourinho can fix things, my question was, what's it going to take to fix it though? And are these players good enough?

My thoughts from last night was that this team isn't as good as I thought it was and we are going to need some signings to fix the issues we have but like Guido 🇺🇦 Guido 🇺🇦 I have concerns around the sort of transfers we will make.

United are utterly shocking and we made them look like City/Liverpool for most of the game.
You should say you "hope" Jose can fix things.

Because my stance is such that he's past his best is that he will not fix things and I'm bassing that off his last two jobs where he failed to fix anything and in the case with Utd made things worse.

Now if I'm to put on my "hopeful" hat, then I hope he is doing what Poch did when he first joined us. Give the rope to the players, then let their performances hang themselves and cut them out of the side quickly. There was somewhat of a revolt that also happened, which gave birth to a new team dynamic. So, kind of feel we've reached that nadir with this group of players.

Last edited:
What u really need in the club now is someone to invest in the club. That being a take over like some very wealthy person from Saudi Arabia or quatar if we ant to be there year in year out and winning things. The stadium is the best around we know that but time will move on and others will get just as good.

Well whatever it was, his team dominated ours for the most part. Seemed pretty easy for them to nullify us. The u could have been 3-0 up after the first half hour. I think ole won that battle. He got his players playing better than mourinho did ours.
I think Utd play better as a counter-attacking team but have trouble against banked defences, a bit like we used to be...however we now seem to have cracked the banked defence bit, but are still shit against counter-attacking teams...

You should say you "hope" Jose can fix things.

Because my stance is such that he's past his best is that he will not fix things and I'm bassing that off his last two jobs where he failed to fix anything and in the case with Utd made things worse.

Now if I'm to put on my "hopeful" hat, then I hope he is doing what Poch did when he first joined us. Give the rope top the players, then let their performances hang themselves and cut them out of the side quickly. There was somewhat of a revolt that also happened, which gave birth to a new team dynamic. So, kind of feel we've reached that nadir with this group of players.

We will certainly see who is good and who isn’t under Mourinho. My personal view is that the squad isn’t balanced, we have overall a good attacking set but poor/average defensive.

attacking

Lo Celso
Ndombele
Winks??
Sissoko??
Son
Lamela
Kane
Lucas
Eriksen - even though he is fucking off
Dele
Sessegnon

defensive

Toby
Verts
Dier
Davies
Sanchez
Aurier
Wanyama
Rose
KWP
Foyth

Even with Eriksen going and Lamela injures we should have enough in attack for now. The defensive side however is a mess, Dier and Wanyama’s legs are gone, Toby and Verts our best defenders are getting old, our full backs are at best average in a world where full backs are very important. Foyth looks really talented but young and reckless.

you can’t really get the best out of Ndombele or Winks or Sissoko or Lo Celso when we don’t have a decent DM to allow them freedom to play. At the moment our midfield looks like England with Gerrard and Lampard, the balance doesn’t work at all. And without a DM we also look vulnerable.

I kind of get the feeling Mourinho is playing 4 attackers as well as Winks and Sissoko in a Brazilian we will score more than you attitude. Otherwise I’d imagine Lucas would have been dropped for Lo Celso or Ndombele to beef the midfield.

to me this is typical Spurs. We always seem 2-3 players away from a decent balanced side. I gave Levy a pass during the stadium build phase but come January we need to be spending big and spending on the right players otherwise we are a flawed team and if you have a flaw other teams will always take advantage.

I think Utd play better as a counter-attacking team but have trouble against banked defences, a bit like we used to be...however we now seem to have cracked the banked defence bit, but are still shit against counter-attacking teams...
Thats true. I don't trust our defence & midfield against counter attacking teams with pace. We seem to play in to there hands. Not sure why our good attackers struggle against those sort of teams.

What we've had for the last five seasons, is a manager and supporting team, who compelled the squad to give about 120% of what they naturally could IMO.

Look at Luke Shaw, now a bit part player at what 23/24?

Look at Rose, Alderweireld, physically undermined by the previous regimes mortgaging tomorrow for a win today.

It happens to all Bielsa's teams, run out of gas Feb-March bus-conductor bus-conductor watches a lot of French footie, he will know this pattern happens with this excessive intensity and elite fitness mantra which Poch formed from his tutelage.

What we need IMO, is the fitness team from Juve (if memory serves or was it AC Milan?), who buy up 30-33 year olds and get another 2-3years out of them. Because they will understand these players in varying forms have Lactic/Uric/Arachidonic Acid excesses at their points of weakness (previous injury sites, sites they compensate for muscular/skeletal weakness etc), as the high intensity creates an excess of Acid waste which only certain phsiologies can cycle at super high levels (which intensity training + games induces).

We need an elite recovery team, to bring the physical age of our players back down as far as is possible IMO.

These backed up metabolic residues will always manifest in this 'lack of intensity' or 'slow' starts, we have seen for over 18months almost consistently, and for 5years on/off (remember the latter season collapses in the first to seasons, just like Bielsa teams always suffer).

People complain about Kane, that proves the point, a club supporter, loves us, is he really choosing to amble around more like a championship player, rather than a Drogba like performance we saw at Spam? Of course not, his body has backed up performance residue, which compels the autonomic nervous system to make him unable to be 'at it'.

I pray that Mourinho does not do the Poch thing, of making them pay by more intensity for poor performances, it's just insanity. I hope he makes them all take rest, rest, rest. Massage the shit out of them, not massacre them.

NOTE : I AM NOT BLAMING POCH, HIS FITNESS EXPERTS SHOULD HAVE SEEN THIS DEVELOPING.

Last edited:
Poch was overachieving by polishing turds for years to a point people believed he had a world class squad. You could put the likes of Winks and Sissoko in Luton team and no one would raise an eyebrow because that's their true level.

Poch was a great manager that was failed by the club.

All of this is 100% on Daniel Levy.
Your overall point is correct mate no doubt, but I’d be hesitant to put all the blame on Levy. The overall philosophy of everyone who owns and runs the club, Levy included of course, is going to make it extremely difficult for us to reach the top no matter who is managing us. And the sooner people wake up to that fact the better.

Many of our players now have a loser mentality from the Poch days.

Losing that many cup semis and quarter finals is probably gonna have a mental effect down the line.

Back
Top Bottom