UCL Matchday 5 - Olympiacos

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Why that brings praise from you is odd. You should be questioning what the fuck was the Manager doing picking him in the first place if this is what you think of the player.

Fair point - but what I'm applauding is that it took 28 minutes (and a very brave decision to haul off one of the stronger dressing room characters/voices (and a voice that has very publicly supported Mourinho) rather than fucking 65 it would have taken his predecessor.

And as I've said previously - I can more understand the reasoning of trying Dier/Winks combo than having Sissoko there - and short of starting Skipp, which I would like to see, but is not very realistic for a new manager, I'm not sure what more logical options there are right now.

Anyone mention the Olympiacos fans in the home sections again last night ? In our block the first two rows to the right were majority Olympiakos fans. All celebrated the goals openly and the Stewards did fuck all again.

After Red Star they have learned nothing so it would seem
I was in 108 and there were a load in front of us
Mind you they fucked off when the third goal went in

A few times I noticed Lucas' first instinct was to let the man go. I've no idea if he got a shout from the gaffer or his brain clicked into gear half a second late, but he was often a few metres behind where he could have been if he had reacted immediately. He's just not a defensively minded player.

The willingness and combativeness is there tho.... Enter coaching.

Fair point - but what I'm applauding is that it took 28 minutes (and a very brave decision to haul off one of the stronger dressing room characters/voices (and a voice that has very publicly supported Mourinho) rather than fucking 65 it would have taken his predecessor.

And as I've said previously - I can more understand the reasoning of trying Dier/Winks combo than having Sissoko there - and short of starting Skipp, which I would like to see, but is not very realistic for a new manager, I'm not sure what more logical options there are right now.
Agree and I'm clearly playing devil's advocate to some degree as it's really early days.

I'm on record that I'm really nervous of Jose appointment long term but conversely excited for the short term (this season). Which has me conflicted on many different levels of his appointment.

The bottom line for me is we are still a very flawed team, mainly because of our CM/DM combinations and this is what Jose needs to address if we are to get any better. It's a worry that he's singled out Dier as his man but is it good that he hooks him after 30mins???? Is he still going to select him because he's proclaimed his love for him??? Does this now mean that Sissoko plays on the right when he comes on???

I do love that the vibe is better right now, these are better working conditions for the players to operate in but all the flaws are still there and Jose could be pinning his hat on the wrong man to provide the solution. (Yes, way, way too early but I've got nothing else to base on other than the two games played).

Agree and I'm clearly playing devil's advocate to some degree as it's really early days.

I'm on record that I'm really nervous of Jose appointment long term but conversely excited for the short term (this season). Which has me conflicted on many different levels of his appointment.

The bottom line for me is we are still a very flawed team, mainly because of our CM/DM combinations and this is what Jose needs to address if we are to get any better. It's a worry that he's singled out Dier as his man but is it good that he hooks him after 30mins???? Is he still going to select him because he's proclaimed his love for him??? Does this now mean that Sissoko plays on the right when he comes on???

I do love that the vibe is better right now, these are better working conditions for the players to operate in but all the flaws are still there and Jose could be pinning his hat on the wrong man to provide the solution. (Yes, way, way too early but I've got nothing else to base on other than the two games played).

Skipp, Vic or Dier.... That's the pickings for the time being in terms of true "positional" DM.

Has he publicly backed Dier or are you harking back to his past interest in signing him....?

Off the back of him saying what he did about subbing him it won't surprise me to see him start on Sat, but I can't imagine him persevering with him indefinitely.

Skipp, Vic or Dier.... That's the pickings for the time being in terms of true "positional" DM.

Has he publicly backed Dier or are you harking back to his past interest in signing him....?

Off the back of him saying what he did about subbing him it won't surprise me to see him start on Sat, but I can't imagine him persevering with him indefinitely.
Just throwing it out there, he's publicly backed the squad and made comments about a couple of others (Sissoko) that take him down a certain path. Is Dier his man?

Good thing the commentator after the Dier sub said "We'll see if this is brilliance or desperation by José Mourinho". Guess we found out.
[/QUOT
I can't think of one commentator I truly respect other than Hoddle and even he I'd a plonker sometimes. They all have an agenda, usually anti Spurs.

Eriksen at least looked up for it, Moussa showed why he gets so much playing time, he covers the right side so much better than any other player we have ... just not sure that at 31 next season he will feature in Jose's plans.

Toby is looking his age another player soon turning 31 and he's starting to look all of that ... two games in three days and he's toast.

Winks may have struggled but a 92% pass success and the most possession of any midfield player shows that he stays in the game even when things started so very badly.

Overall far to many errors - pass success at 86% wins nothing - allowing double figure shots against per game wins nothing - making lazy errors in defence wins nothing - but at least having to score 3 or more to win matches makes for exciting football ...

Who's up next? 5-2, 4-1, 6-3 anything can happen .....
Am I mistaken or did Toby renew? Bad dream maybe?

I can't think of one commentator I truly respect other than Hoddle and even he I'd a plonker sometimes. They all have an agenda, usually anti Spurs.
I love listening to Hoddle. Makes me laugh. He's often stuck in a time warp where he can only use the present tense, using the most convoluted language to say the simplest of things. Great entertainment.

Much as I hate to open old wounds, how does he get in with binoculars and a metal stick, when my cheese sandwich is binned? And don't say it's a walking stick - he dances around like a spring lamb for 2 hours.

tnL1qpL.png

srgKAx6.png

shbJTit.png

Apda6Xj.png

Any use for a smilie?
The face on the kid next to him is the smilie ...

Purely tactical, Dier will get games under Jose against teams that bombard the box ( imo)
still love our Eric but someone had to bite the bullet and I think he got benched solely because Winks moves the ball faster,although it was far from Winksy's best game.

Back
Top Bottom