UCL Matchday 5 - Olympiacos

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I will be in the home end at United next week with my lad. Prawn sandwich section courtesy of some free corporate tickets. It says “no away colours on show” & we will respect that. But that’s the only bit we will respect. Hope they’re well stocked up on beer for the free bar & champagne for when we stuff these red twats
I don’t like having away herberts around me at WHL (or even in the pub) & assume it’s the same for most other fans. But it is part of the game as you say.
And I will enjoy every moment of lording it over the northern red scum as I sit in a private box drinking their beer and eating their canapés.

I was in the home end at old trafford when nani scored that ridiculous goal when Gomes put the ball down thinking it was a free kick.

Cue manc cunts singing 'we do what we want'.

I had to leave or I'd have lost my shit and got battered!

Moura's got to help Aurier more and track hi runners back.
A few times I noticed Lucas' first instinct was to let the man go. I've no idea if he got a shout from the gaffer or his brain clicked into gear half a second late, but he was often a few metres behind where he could have been if he had reacted immediately. He's just not a defensively minded player.

I haven’t seen Tanganga but for me Sanchez isn’t up to it yet and not sure he ever will be.
You could say the same for Foyth
Maybe Jose can coach them to a reasonable standard but they aren’t there yet imv

I had a shit stream last night but noticed on several occasions Sanchez giving suicide passes to our midfield especially Winks when they were clearly being marked
He had other choices
back to Gazza or a long ball forward
And despite all this, he is the one defender you can rely on to defend.

Stupid idea, let someone else bring the ball out of defence, let Dav doing the defending.

As I said earlier, at no point this season has Dav been a worse choice at CH than Alderweireld or Vertonghen is.

Stupid idea, let someone else bring the ball out of defence, let Dav doing the defending.
The trouble with that idea is that he is often in a tight squeeze having won the ball deep so finding another player to get the ball out isn't as easy as it sounds.

And despite all this, he is the one defender you can rely on to defend.

As I said earlier, at no point this season has Dav been a worse choice at CH than Alderweireld or Vertonghen is.

I think what we have here is two defenders who are well past t5heir best and one who isn’t quite ready

A problem for Jose which I am confident that he will resolve

The trouble with that idea is that he is often in a tight squeeze having won the ball deep so finding another player to get the ball out isn't as easy as it sounds.

I agree but sometimes he releases the ball without looking up first and considering other options

You just praised Sissoko 🤯

Nah, I praised Mourinho’s tactical sub, which worked.

But for the record, I’ve got less issue with Sissoko being used off the bench as a human butt plug out wide for 20 minutes, than I have with the fucking idiotic notion of him starting every week in central midfield double pivots.

That said, he was fucking terrible when he came on on Saturday, and made things worse not better. Did a better job last night, but it was Olympiacos.

The other problem is the number of times Winks loses the ball in dangerous positions, mostly having received it from our centre halves.

A few times I noticed Lucas' first instinct was to let the man go. I've no idea if he got a shout from the gaffer or his brain clicked into gear half a second late, but he was often a few metres behind where he could have been if he had reacted immediately. He's just not a defensively minded player.
I saw Jose yelling at him to do exactly this at least once.

Nah, I praised Mourinho’s tactical sub, which worked.

But for the record, I’ve got less issue with Sissoko being used off the bench as a human butt plug out wide for 20 minutes, than I have with the fucking idiotic notion of him starting every week in central midfield double pivots.

That said, he was fucking terrible when he came on on Saturday, and made things worse not better. Did a better job last night, but it was Olympiacos.
Welcome back, I was worried

Fucking refreshing to see a game changed by some great in game management. Eriksen for Dier was a massive gamble, I confess to thinking at the time that Ndombele or Lo Celso in midfield would have made more sense, but it proved to be immensely effective, in the next 17 minutes Eriksen saw double the ball Dier had in the first 28 (receiving the ball a pitiful 8 times) and went on to have his best game of the season.

This isn't about match fitness with Dier, many of us have been pointing this out this since his "breakout" midfield season - when the going gets ferocious, Dier fucking shrinks. Think back to the first 30 minutes against Juve in March 2018, where we also found ourselves 2-0 down. Or even the last 30 against West Ham Saturday.

The second sub was also bang on the money tactically. About 5-10 minutes before that a couple of us had pointed out how everyone's favourite pea brain, Moura - despite having just set up a goal - was constantly forgetting to track their players and leaving Aurier continually exposed on the counter - he'd been doing it all game. Mourinho had not missed this either, hauled him off (much to the apoplexy of his fan club and a bemused look from the player himself) stuck Sissoko out there as a RM and switched to a 442. They barely got a sniff the rest of the game.
Why that brings praise from you is odd. You should be questioning what the fuck was the Manager doing picking him in the first place if this is what you think of the player.

Back
Top Bottom