New Stadium

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Sorry, it's the bollocks of a stadium ain't it?

New desktop wallpaper. Thanks for this!

What is all this nonsense about teams moving cities and even countries? Don’t they have any proper fanbase who are disappointed when they go? And do new “lifelong” fans suddenly materialise are the new place? It all sounds very weird.

As someone who lives in the States, it's quite a difference to see what happens abroad and what happens here. Owners basically have free reign to hold towns hostage for better tax deals or most commonly when they are trying to get towns to pay for the new stadiums they want, and if they don't like what they are getting, then often times they'll just push to move the team out of the area. It's very much all at the behest of billionaires.

From my experience, these new franchises never really develop that hardcore of a fan base. The Washington Nationals (formerly the Montreal Expos) just won the World Series, I live in Philadelphia (about 3 hours north) and have probably met like two Washington Nationals fans in the last decade. I've been to games to see the Phillies play the Nationals, and still haven't seen them. They will develop local fans since they are the local team, but it's hard to develop a hardcore fan base, it's going to take years as the younger generation grows up and becomes them.

Another addition to our portfolio of matches in other sports - think its now 2 NFL matches, a rugby union match (Harlequins) and now a rugby league match. Each worth lets guess at £3m a match (including food and drink, merchandise sales etc). Nice little earner

We can have I think its 25 non football events at the stadium, still waiting for a few concerts to be announced for next summer.

having watched those light shows at other stadium (posted many pages back) I wonder if they will look to do theatre plays on the astro turf pitch

I know some people pooh-pooh the idea of our stadium being used for other things, but surely it's better for it to be utilised to the full (as long as it doesn't interfere with our fixtures), and people coming into Tottenham would surely benefit local businesses, not everyone will eat and drink in the stadium.

As someone who lives in the States, it's quite a difference to see what happens abroad and what happens here. Owners basically have free reign to hold towns hostage for better tax deals or most commonly when they are trying to get towns to pay for the new stadiums they want, and if they don't like what they are getting, then often times they'll just push to move the team out of the area. It's very much all at the behest of billionaires.

From my experience, these new franchises never really develop that hardcore of a fan base. The Washington Nationals (formerly the Montreal Expos) just won the World Series, I live in Philadelphia (about 3 hours north) and have probably met like two Washington Nationals fans in the last decade. I've been to games to see the Phillies play the Nationals, and still haven't seen them. They will develop local fans since they are the local team, but it's hard to develop a hardcore fan base, it's going to take years as the younger generation grows up and becomes them.
do their games sell out?

people coming into Tottenham would surely benefit local businesses, not everyone will eat and drink in the stadium.

Yes, the last time I was at White Hart Lane I ate a kebab leaning over a wheelie bin while a van full of police officers gave me the evil eye.

Contemplated going to the Greggs later but realized it was just beer goggles...

I do hope there’s a few better/tastier/healthier options in the area now lol:pochfacepalm:

Yes, the last time I was at White Hart Lane I ate a kebab leaning over a wheelie bin while a van full of police officers gave me the evil eye.

Contemplated going to the Greggs later but realized it was just beer goggles...

I do hope there’s a few better/tastier/healthier options in the area now lol:pochfacepalm:
Chick King is great and Greggs now have a posh range.
Some of them even have seats and tables as well...

I know some people pooh-pooh the idea of our stadium being used for other things, but surely it's better for it to be utilised to the full (as long as it doesn't interfere with our fixtures), and people coming into Tottenham would surely benefit local businesses, not everyone will eat and drink in the stadium.

Agree with all that.

But on top of that every event in the stadium gives employment to a lot of employment for the full day of he event - whether stewarding, security, food and drink servers and cooks, extra merchandising staff, extra backroom staff etc. Spurs estimated before the stadium opened that it would provide perhaps 3,500 jobs (probably a mix of full time and part time jobs), so its probably safe to suggest its 1,000 or more jobs, the majority likely to be locals so the extra wages will go to boost the local economy.

This place was supposed to be an intimidating fortress with a "wall of noise" that would scare other teams and yet so far, not a single team that has played here looks intimidated by the place.

It might be shiny and new with all the comfort and amazing features you would expect but we need a manager that will create a team which is capable of igniting the supporters so we can make this place the ground it deserves to be, a place where teams feel like they have lost before they even kick a football.

This place was supposed to be an intimidating fortress with a "wall of noise" that would scare other teams and yet so far, not a single team that has played here looks intimidated by the place.

It might be shiny and new with all the comfort and amazing features you would expect but we need a manager that will create a team which is capable of igniting the supporters so we can make this place the ground it deserves to be, a place where teams feel like they have lost before they even kick a football.
Should we 100% blame the manager and players for the fans not making noise? Perhaps the fans try and create an atmosphere that lifts the players to perform well...just an idea.

Should we 100% blame the manager and players for the fans not making noise? Perhaps the fans try and create an atmosphere that lifts the players to perform well...just an idea.

I tend to agree but this season in particular, 50 sideways passes, run out of ideas, pass back to keeper, start again is like watching paint dry. Did the Sheff U keeper have a save to make?

The club wanted a big shiny new stadium to be able 'to compete'. To fill the stadium we need an extrea 25-30k tourists. day trippers and one game a season fans. Our repoertoire of songs used to be pretty good at the old place. It has now shrunk to 'Come on you Spurs', 'Oh when the Spurs' & 'the thing i love most'.

The ONLY song everyone joins in with is 'oh when...' otherwise it is just small pockets,

I tend to agree but this season in particular, 50 sideways passes, run out of ideas, pass back to keeper, start again is like watching paint dry. Did the Sheff U keeper have a save to make?

The club wanted a big shiny new stadium to be able 'to compete'. To fill the stadium we need an extrea 25-30k tourists. day trippers and one game a season fans. Our repoertoire of songs used to be pretty good at the old place. It has now shrunk to 'Come on you Spurs', 'Oh when the Spurs' & 'the thing i love most'.

The ONLY song everyone joins in with is 'oh when...' otherwise it is just small pockets,
And also, the 1882 section definitely hasn't helped. Where I sit is very central in the south stand and there is very little singing around me. Quite a lot of moaning though. I do try, but you feel a complete tit when no one joins in. I think the club need to seriously let people start moving their ST spots if we are to stand a chance of creating an atmosphere during games like Saturday. If you had a pocket of even a few hundred people who want to sing and cheer regardless it would catch on more times than not I reckon. As it is it's just too spread out. We haven't got 17,000 regular singers to fill the south stand, so lets concentrate those who will being together?

Barely heard a "thing I like most" against Sheff U. It seems to be getting worse. Probably just a symptom of the footy on the pitch getting worse.

One other thing, I always get nervous when "Oh when the..." breaks out because we often seem to concede during it. Happened this weekend again.

Back
Top Bottom