Tottenham Vs Sheffield Utd - 9th Nov.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

There is nothing wrong with scoring early, if.

1. They don't score
2.We score again not quite as early.
3.We score a 3rd even less earlier than the 2nd.

Football management made easy...
giphy.gif

I'm not disagreeing that that selection will be close to our best, as it includes new signings which should provide the much-needed kick we are looking for etc., etc., etc,......

I'm suggesting that anyone EXPECTING to see it is perhaps a tad deluded. I base this solely off the fact we will be playing a far, far more aggressive side than Red Star (I'll just turn your attention to Brighton and how they played against us and they aren't really equipped anything like Sheffield Utd are!!). Our achilles heel is we can be out-pressed, also see Southampton game to name but a few. Sheffield Utd (apparently) the highest pressing side in the League has had all week to prepare/rest for this game, we will have had TWO days rest and we are hardly what you would call a fit and effervescent side ourselves right now.

In addition, Poch rotates his sides, he has always done this in the 6yrs at the club, all the evidence supports the fact that we will and most likely have to rotate the team.

I don't understand why everyone expecting to see the same side that played in the week.
I'll accept 'tad deluded' been called a lot worse.... :thumbup: I understand your reasoning completely and perhaps a subtle mix is required. I would just like some indication on Saturday that Poch had a bit of a wake up call Wednesday night regarding playing the new lads.

At the beginning of the season there is noway I would have expected to be 3 points behind Sheff Utd. looked at their results and they are nothing spectacular but ours are just worse. Do not know how they play but others saying they press high and it is noticeable we kick long from defence more than we used to and Gazza better with his feet than Lloris.
We have been down to 10 men twice, a VAR disallowed goal against Leicester and lost to a stupid Lloris error/injury which seemed to affect everyone. Just hope no more drama but just a normal game.
I would risk the same team as against Red Star but if there are to be changes Who?
Kane always plays, Son & Dele subbed and so they should all play as Lamela is injured and Moura not justifying starting. I would like to see Ndombele & Lo Celso starting, so we go with our strongest team to get a lead and if necessary they are subbed on 60 mins. Do not want to see Aurier, but if there are to be changes then they should be Davies for Rose & Alderweireld. Not a lover of Sissoko and it depends on whether Sheff Utd will pose a physical presence and if not then perhaps Dier or Winks should be there.
Either way Winks should replace Skipp on the bench as we may need him to retain procession if holding on for a win.
This season it is very difficult to be confident but hopefully a routine win going into the international break.

I'll accept 'tad deluded' been called a lot worse.... :thumbup: I understand your reasoning completely and perhaps a subtle mix is required. I would just like some indication on Saturday that Poch had a bit of a wake up call Wednesday night regarding playing the new lads.
He played them because it's the first chance he's had to do so. They've been injured and he's managing their integration.

If ever there was a player to demonstrate the difference between the CL and the PL then that's Ndombele, the ONLY two games he's completed have been against Red Star. In the PL he looks absolutely fucked after 60mins, completely obvious to all watching the game. Poch has managed him brilliantly so far this season, I said it at the time too, that against Liverpool away to play him in the 2nd half against tired legs was far better use of his skill set (getting him on the ball) rather than having him played against a fresh Liverpool side and having him camped on the edge of our box, with players running off him left, right and centre (that's his weakness).

Lo Celso and Sess both injured will be no doubt managed into the side, against Red Star a team passive and without imposing their tempo on us made them get on the ball and for them to play at their tempo, they will NOT have that luxury on Sat, I don't expect them to start. (This is my expectation and just an educated punt by me).

Players that we know Poch has played back to back games previously are:
Kane, Son (although he's subbed often when doing so), Dele (recently subbed as he's coming back from long term injury but when 100% fit Poch plays him back-to-back), Eriksen (historically always started, this season with Lamela injured & that he came on as sub midweek IMO he WILL start), Sissoko, Vertoghen (but that's historical, expect either one of him or Toby to play next to Sanchez), Toby (but that's historical, expect either one of him or Vertonghen to play next to Sanchez), Sanchez (I expect he will start).

Rose will make way for Davies (if he has two available FB's he will rotate), Aurier will play unless there is an issue following the Gomez instance (possible that he took a knock in that tackle himself, he was talking with Poch when he came off and was holding his calf??? But always rotates FB's when he has the option to do so), I've no idea of Diers capacity but if Sissoko plays (I think he will) then he's likely to play Winks first half then bring on Ndombele from the bench. That leaves Lucas who didn't come on but I think he's been shit this season and utterly surprised why people are slagging off Dele or Eriksen but aren't Lucas who's been just as crap as say Eriksen this year.

TDLR: All evidence supports that he will rotate the team given that we've had TWO days rest between Wed and Sat. especially as the oppo will look to press aggressively (our weakness this year). All this makes sense, and I'd also expect Man U, Woolwich, Chavs, Man City, Liverpool all to make changes (maybe less so with the last two as they will have an extra two days recovery and there is parity in that they both played mid-week).

Back
Top Bottom