UCL - Red Star (A)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Fuck me that was a good watch, I know that Red Star aren't much kop but they still beat Liverpool at their gaff last season.

Given our start to this season that's a great win and some major positives;
- The return of Dier who looked solid and showed some leadership qualities
- Lo Celso's full debut, looked tidy, nice finish but what I liked the most was he tracked back and put some tackles in
- Ndombele & Sissoko Central partnership - such big physical presences and some great driving runs by both, I do love an Ndombele slide rule pass on the deck
- Gazza continues to deputize well for Hugo, that save with his leg at 0-0 was crucial for the confidence of the team if we go behind their with how fragile we are, we might be looking at a totally different game.
- And of course Sonny putting last weekend in the mirror with another class performance

Onwards and Upwards
COYS!

You're putting words in my mouth. I never mentioned Dier (see your last post) or partnerships (above).

I am pro-Sanchez and feel he was both hard done by and dramatically set-back by being dropped for Toby 18 months ago. I don't want to see that mistake repeated.

Question remains... Why drop him????
Putting words in your mouth? What are you on about? My point was that this partnership tonight is not suddenly the definite choice going forward, and my default expectation is still that Toby or Jan or both will be back in again soon.
You keep saying 'drop' as if Sanchez or anyone for that matter has had the position nailed down for sure but that's not the case, Poch is throwing all kinds of line ups out there. I'm not ''SANCHEZ OUT!!!!!'' but I also wouldn't say that the position is his by any stretch.

That's the type of passion I want to see, and it doesn't anyway matter because Poch integrates youth plays at a rate of 15 minutes every 3 months anyway, so he won't get a totting ban.

it was a poor challenge
Maybe why Poch doesn’t trust him

I’m all for passion but he has to reign that crap in

Just watched ten minutes of highlights as was travelling. We looked good no? Foyth looked confident enough, good running by Tanguy, Son finishing well, even Rose seemed up for it? We all happy tonight? (To save me reading about fifty pages)....

Putting words in your mouth? What are you on about? My point was that this partnership tonight is not suddenly the definite choice going forward, and my default expectation is still that Toby or Jan or both will be back in again soon.
You keep saying 'drop' as if Sanchez or anyone for that matter has had the position nailed down for sure but that's not the case, Poch is throwing all kinds of line ups out there. I'm not ''SANCHEZ OUT!!!!!'' but I also wouldn't say that the position is his by any stretch.

Dav is on a run of games. By bringing back TA & JV you'd be dropping Dav (insert preferred term if u need).....

"Why" is all I'm asking?

Your talk of Dier and partnerships is nothing to do with the interjection i originally made.

I'm proposing we look forward.

Last edited:
Great result and good team win. Red Star had their chances as they did in the first match but did not take them and we took advantage. All of the starting 11 that are fit enough to play 90 mins Saturday should play. Good to see new players doing well as well as Dier.

That was Red Star"s joint largest home loss in something like 50 years - other big loss for them was a 5-1 in 2015.

And they beat Liverpool 2-0 last season.

So yes we may say they didn't play well over the 2 games, but maybe we played reasonably well

Positives from tonight ( in no order)
- Dier looked decent at CB over 90 mins. Good news whether we need him at CB or DM
- Sanchez/Dier CB partnership looked reasonable - not sure they have played as a CB 2 before.
-. Lo Celso lasting ,86 mins, much longer than expected. And looked very comfortable as that creative attacking player we need to replace Eriksen. Good to get a first goal too.
-. Ndombele, great forward play from CM
- Foyth at RB
- Son showing no bad effects from the Everton match. And getting another 2 CL goals.
- Dele continues to improve to get back to his firm of 2 seasons ago.
- Sessegnon getting about 15 - 20 mins ( and an assist). After international break should be good to start.

So positive to have our 3 major summer signings play in the same match for the first time.

Oh and 4 points advantage over Red Star And 6 point advantage over Olympiakos with 2 matches to go, so not quite into the knock out stages but a win against Olympiakos at NWHL makes it mathematical certain and even a draw might be ok.

Negatives :
- None ?

Back
Top Bottom