Everton away - 3/11/19.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Can anyone see a situation where we lose this and Poch still manages to keep his job?

Certainly possible but disastrous.
He won’t be sacked this side of Champions League exit. While we are still in that they will risk the league I imagine. Top 4 is gone already really. Looking at something like a 2.2 points per game remainder of the season to get to 73 points ( please forgive my maths ) and that is not going to happen, so all those eggs are in the Champions League basket I suspect. Fucking shambles the lot of them.

we won’t win on Sunday and they won’t have the balls to sack the three stooges who are coaching us towards a relegation fight.

Don't take any enjoyment out of seeing Winks out the side but no doubt Sissoko - Ndombele should be our 2 CM's at present.
I still am intrigued at the idea of Winks as a CM with a proper DM in there. An on-form Dier would make this interesting to me...

Ndombele-Dier-Winks

Winks is just not a holding mid, which is what is being asked of him.

Can anyone see a situation where we lose this and Poch still manages to keep his job?

Certainly possible but disastrous.
It's a difficult one to predict. With a chance of still qualifying from the UCL group stage then he might be given time to see if we do qualify. I want him to succeed, but if we continue to under-perform then I can understand him losing his job.

The other way of looking at it is if we lose this and have a bad result midweek then will Levy use the upcoming international break to get a new manager in.

I think Mourinho wants the Spurs job, and Levy is probably keeping it in mind that he is a serial winner. I think Mourinho would win something with this Spurs squad, but I'm desperate for Poch to succeed and win something. My only concern is this is probably the best squad we've ever had, and we only have top 4 finishes and a UCL final appearance to show for it.

A part of what made Fergie so successful was he would change his coaches every few years, bring a fresh voice into the changing room. The majority of these players have been together for 4-5 years now, with the same voices each week. Maybe a change in coaching staff rather than a change in manager might help.

I still am intrigued at the idea of Winks as a CM with a proper DM in there. An on-form Dier would make this interesting to me...

Ndombele-Dier-Winks

Winks is just not a holding mid, which is what is being asked of him.
The Ndombele - Dier midfield failed miserably against Brighton. I'd love to see Dier hit form again, he was incredible for a couple of years.

The Ndombele - Dier midfield failed miserably against Brighton. I'd love to see Dier hit form again, he was incredible for a couple of years.
That's a fair point but I think the three man with Winks would really help make that work. Dier is your pure DM, Winks can still play his role of transitioning the ball forward, while helping out defensively. Ndombele could then work his magic.

Mostly I think we just miss a pure DM and am thinking maybe playing Dier can get him/us back there.

That's a fair point but I think the three man with Winks would really help make that work. Dier is your pure DM, Winks can still play his role of transitioning the ball forward, while helping out defensively. Ndombele could then work his magic.

Mostly I think we just miss a pure DM and am thinking maybe playing Dier can get him/us back there.
We do lack a DM, and that should be a priority to fill in the next window.

It's a difficult one to predict. With a chance of still qualifying from the UCL group stage then he might be given time to see if we do qualify. I want him to succeed, but if we continue to under-perform then I can understand him losing his job.

The other way of looking at it is if we lose this and have a bad result midweek then will Levy use the upcoming international break to get a new manager in.

I think Mourinho wants the Spurs job, and Levy is probably keeping it in mind that he is a serial winner. I think Mourinho would win something with this Spurs squad, but I'm desperate for Poch to succeed and win something. My only concern is this is probably the best squad we've ever had, and we only have top 4 finishes and a UCL final appearance to show for it.

A part of what made Fergie so successful was he would change his coaches every few years, bring a fresh voice into the changing room. The majority of these players have been together for 4-5 years now, with the same voices each week. Maybe a change in coaching staff rather than a change in manager might help.
The romantic in us wants poch to succeed but the realist in me accepts and understands that he won't.

I think he means "Eriksen will start"

It's his wording that disappoints, surely he appreciates the difference between 'trusting' a player to play 90 minutes rather than 'believing he's fit enough to play a full match', which I presume is what he really meant. Wonder what Sess thinks after hearing that. :thumbdown: :(
I do struggle to gain any inspiration or positiveness from his media interviews these days. His buzz word of 'philosophy' would appear to have evolved into 'dynamic' but apart from that it seems to be the same old rhetoric.
We desperately need a solid performance and three points on Sunday otherwise we will find ourselves looking up at teams we should not even be considering as league rivals. Silva is under pressure to get a result and I have no doubt Everton will be up for it. Just need to avoid conceding that early goal and keep the pressure on them.
The team selection will show just how much Poch has perhaps learnt from the last match regarding player's attitude and commitment.

He won’t be sacked this side of Champions League exit. While we are still in that they will risk the league I imagine. Top 4 is gone already really. Looking at something like a 2.2 points per game remainder of the season to get to 73 points ( please forgive my maths ) and that is not going to happen, so all those eggs are in the Champions League basket I suspect. Fucking shambles the lot of them.

Makes no sense ... Why would CL progress govern anything?

Like it or not, I suspect no-one's getting sacked until such time that Top 4 is mathematically impossible and there's a solid argument that Poch has earned that much grace since he's been here.

If you win it. Otherwise it’s Thursday/Sunday football for the remainder of the season and you know Poch would just play the kids and not take it seriously.
I don't think he takes it seriously now...... only a clown would have chosen that line up at Anfield.....or someone using the passive/aggressive approach to being sacked.

Last edited:
Makes no sense ... Why would CL progress govern anything?

Like it or not, I suspect no-one's getting sacked until such time that Top 4 is mathematically impossible and there's a solid argument that Poch has earned that much grace since he's been here.
I think if we go on a long winless streak , then Poch will go. Until then hes not going anywhere. Too expesive to sack.

Back
Top Bottom