Tottenham Vs Red Star - 22nd Oct 2019.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

See the Red star fans were happily standing and singing in the top section of the ground last night.

And the gestapo stewards just standing there doing nothing - not so mouthy all of a sudden. “We are just following orders, standing is a serious health and safety issue It’s not allowed”

Righto boys. Should of got stuck into the Serbs then!!

You think my statement was unacceptable because you're wilfully misinterpreting it, to enable you to attempt to be witty. The guy was luckier than me because he had an uninterrupted view. Get it?

As for your other thoughts - EVERYONE in the lower tier was standing throughout the entire game. I was just unlucky to be behind a tall person. Nobody was being told to sit down in the lower tier. The stewards did nothing. They've given up.
lifes too short to fall out about it....

Last edited:
One other thing I enjoyed last night. Red Star got a free kick wide left. Before it was taken, Sanchez is gesturing at team mates to mark this man and detailing who he was picking up. Jan, Serge and Ben all followed suit. The free kick came in and was cleared comfortably.

How refreshing instead of the quiet man who only speaks out off the pitch to the media.

Yeh, Colchester were disciplined and frustrated us.
They got in close and made sure most of our shots or dangerous passes were blocked.

With the ball Red Star were certainly more of a threat than Colchester - but ultimately they conceded 5 goals and deserved to concede more.

Maybe watch the goals again and pay attention to their defending as well as our attacking.

Twat.
(I guess we sign off with insults here?)

Maybe he could watch the game sober?

That's a pretty unacceptable post, even if you were attempting irony.

This was my view. I repeat, the guy with dwarfism was luckier* than me. He had an unimpeded view of the game. I paid good money to look at the back of his head and to be honest, it wasn't worth it. After a minute I'd seen all I needed to see.

7IO81I1.jpg

Given Saturday's performance, some might disagree.

Neat haircut 💇‍♂️ though

One other thing I enjoyed last night. Red Star got a free kick wide left. Before it was taken, Sanchez is gesturing at team mates to mark this man and detailing who he was picking up. Jan, Serge and Ben all followed suit. The free kick came in and was cleared comfortably.

How refreshing instead of the quiet man who only speaks out off the pitch to the media.

I was in row one behind the goal in the first half and Verts kept saying to Gazza "Give it to Sanchez" but he nearly alway rolled it out to Verts!!

"The clock reads 19 minutes past the hour in north London, and the white shirts are moving into fighter jet formation. There were five of them in total, five Tottenham Hotspur attackers with their arms pumping and legs whirring as they exploded upfield in perfect symmetry, a fleet of footballing destruction preparing to unleash pain on a visiting defence that had nowhere to hide." - Sam Dean, Daily Telegraph

Now that's the kind of opening paragraph I don't mind reading over a leisurely breakfast the day after a match.

So that’s where Blakey works!!

See the Red star fans were happily standing and singing in the top section of the ground last night.

And the gestapo stewards just standing there doing nothing - not so mouthy all of a sudden. “We are just following orders, standing is a serious health and safety issue It’s not allowed”

Righto boys. Should of got stuck into the Serbs then!!
Stewards
+
East Euro nutters

=
:letmyselfout:

You sure BC?

This was the message to which I was replying. Disingenuousness case dismissed.

But that’s not advocating they swap, just suggesting Winks would be better in a more 8 type role than the 6/4 type remit he’s been operating in isn’t it?

And I don’t think it’s suggesting “instead” of NDombele either - unless I’m wrong (@Airfix)

But stop using descriptive stats to justify. Yes, on the whole Winks might hit some 'forward' passes. The issue that folks are talking about is he rarely breaks a line with a pass i.e. does anything with the ball. Hitting a ball from deep to a FB that is positioned slightly ahead of him is a a forward pass and that is tied up in your statistics. But when was the last time you saw him break a line with a pass? It's all in front of the defense and no fucking threat.

I'll stop using the correct descriptive stats when you stop using the incorrect descriptive words. Saying Winks doesn't pass forward is just not true. Saying he doesn't pass very incisively is different, and would be fair, I've said it myself, numerous times. But they are very different things, that can also be the same thing.

Ndombele is the first proper midfielder Ive watched in a spurs shirt since Modric who is capable of truly incisive passing consistently. In fact he's got even more vision than Modric. He's a pretty rare animal. But he lacks Modric's energy and industry (just as lacks Winks's)

Who are all these central midfielders that are constantly breaking lines and threading through balls?

Isn't that why we've just paid 58m for a player who can do that but struggles to run around as well ?

It's a bit like the whole Trippier debate. I never said Trippier was a world class RB, but when you look around there are very few about, and he was pretty competent. Everyone was saying "we can do better" but virtually none of them could actually name who we should do better with except unproven kids they'd rarely seen.

There is absolutely no comparison, Winks just is never going to be this clever with his passing as Ndombele. But his passing is quicker, more frequent and more conducive to transition than someone like Mousa Dembele, who many idolised. And it's quicker, more frequent and more useful than the likes of Sissoko's and Dier's. And as a team that has a possession biased ethos, that's more useful, especially when there's not much defensive gain with either of those either.

Ndombele has hurt every team we have played this season with a pass that has broken through a MF or backline. And I'm not even talking about some of his sublime passes. Some players have certain talents that others should not be judged against. I'm talking about simple passesthough, the ones that are always available to Winks and he doesn't take them...usually because he brain is already on backpass autopilot.

See, this is the bit I take exception to. Who are all these incisive passers you are judging Winks against? We've just paid a lot of money to get one here, and even he's flawed.

And I think suggesting Winks never makes simple forward passes that are good passes is bogus. He does. And he does more than most we've seen clunking about our midfield in the last 4/5 years.

I think Winks has got a longterm role as well (unlike Carroll and all the other MF academy folks you defend beyond their abilities).

And here's the odd thing. You're saying he's shit but has a future. I'm saying he's not, but I don't really think he does - not in my "ideal Spurs first 11" anyway. He's not a 6, and I would want better 8's in an ideal world, ones that are more incisive.

Back
Top Bottom