Tottenham Vs Red Star - 22nd Oct 2019.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

To be fair, the South Stand has been prepared for safe standing. It doesn't take a genius to work out that if you buy a ticket in that area, you're more likely to have to stand or have people standing around you.

It's like taking a young child to their first game in the middle of the South Stand against Chelsea and expected people not to swear.

People need to use a bit of common sense when buying tickets instead of moaning about other people all the time.
Agreed. I'm famous for having no common sense. Do you know me?

You have a point. All depends on how we perform on Sunday. Probably same team minus Dele who is not playing well yet.

I can see us playing a good game on Sunday and then turning to shit again. I can also see us having a good run. It's quite unclear how things will evolve right now, the situation needs to be judged in the longer run. So far, our form is still abysmal (last night's game included).

I'm not saying that yesterday might not have been a turning point, I just prefer to be cautious and not get too excited after one good game against a shit team.

"The clock reads 19 minutes past the hour in north London, and the white shirts are moving into fighter jet formation. There were five of them in total, five Tottenham Hotspur attackers with their arms pumping and legs whirring as they exploded upfield in perfect symmetry, a fleet of footballing destruction preparing to unleash pain on a visiting defence that had nowhere to hide." - Sam Dean, Daily Telegraph

Now that's the kind of opening paragraph I don't mind reading over a leisurely breakfast the day after a match.

sun23.jpg

I can see us playing a good game on Sunday and then turning to shit again. I can also see us having a good run. It's quite unclear how things will evolve right now, the situation needs to be judged in the longer run. So far, our form is still abysmal (last night's game included).

I'm not saying that yesterday might not have been a turning point, I just prefer to be cautious and not get too excited after one good game against a shit team.
Yes that's the key point, not get too excited after one good game. The team did a very good job last night and it has to continue and only then we can say we turned the corner.

That's bad isn't it? While I was waiting for the Lucky Wife's bag to be searched I had a chat to the steward operating the airport-style security gate. When I informed him, in my normal humble way, that his gates were probably just fake, to my surprise he told me they were rubbish. He said they wouldn't stop any dangerous implement from getting through. On reflection, he's right, because I keep my keys on a long chain made up of large metal rings and although it's been in my trouser pocket on the last 2 occasions it hasn't set off any alarms.

So, the score stands... Cheese Sandwiches 1 - 2 Dangerous Metal Items.

ps - so glad I took the Lucky Wife last night. We even exceeded my 4-0 prediction.
You should really stop bringing your unlucky wife

It was a stupid idea by Uefa to ban their fans - some were always going to get tickets. Far easier to control a crowd if they are in a segregated section.

In the same respect, having a cap on the number of away fans is also pretty stupid, if an allocation is 3,000 but 4,000 want to go and at the same time a home teams fans aren't selling out then you inevitably end up with away fans in the home end. Just adjust the size of the away section based on demand, and then everyone will enjoy the game more.

You think my statement was unacceptable because you're wilfully misinterpreting it, to enable you to attempt to be witty. The guy was luckier than me because he had an uninterrupted view. Get it?
Yes yes, I get it... my feeble attempt at humour was clearly not appropriate here... time and a place... sorry!
As for your other thoughts - EVERYONE in the lower tier was standing throughout the entire game. I was just unlucky to be behind a tall person. Nobody was being told to sit down in the lower tier. The stewards did nothing. They've given up.
To be fair, the South Stand has been prepared for safe standing. It doesn't take a genius to work out that if you buy a ticket in that area, you're more likely to have to stand or have people standing around you.
It's like taking a young child to their first game in the middle of the South Stand against Chelsea and expected people not to swear.

People need to use a bit of common sense when buying tickets instead of moaning about other people all the time.
I think this is key... the lower section (with the STANDING bars) is clearly being earmarked for safe standing...
I don't think the stewards have 'given up' as such... they've just clearly changed their priorities...
most of last night, people were being told not to stand in the aisle... so as not to obstruct the stairs... the stewards enforced that bit quite rightly... but it was difficult, as so many people had moved down from further up the South Stand with the sole intention of standing...

The 'Park Lane/Shelfside' corner towards the back seemed to be where the other standing was... but seeing as it was so high up, I imagine no one was being obstructed!

Personally, I prefer to stand... I'm normally a nervous jiggling mess during a game, and should probably wear a Fitbit watch, the amount of side-to-side pacing I do!

But I DO understand not everyone wants, or even CAN stand for 90 mins...
I do think they should be allocating a designated singing area, which would naturally gravitate towards a safe standing area as and when it comes in.

By the same token, I genuinely think they should allocate a designated 'tourist' area, where you can take your selfies, without blocking the view of those who want to watch the game! (Be it sitting OR standing!!)

Last edited:
Fuck off Worse than Colchester? Idiot. That team didn’t play Colchester.
However one likes to cut it, this was red star Belgrade in the champions League. They came to us hoping to take advantage of an out of form team under pressure. We fucken battered them. This was an important result and performance. Red Star were bad because we made them look that way.

Just what the doctor ordered.

From the start son and Kane seemed determined to make a difference, we were aggressive on the ball and off and it showed.

Lovely performance and hopefully gives the boys a bit of confidence going into Sunday

...By the same token, I also think they should allocate a designated 'tourist' area, where you can take your selfies, without blocking the view of those who want to watch the game! (Be it sitting OR standing!!)
On Saturday I saw two Korean fans using those flippin' selfie sticks. They need to take a long, hard look at themselves.

It's nonsense to act like they are some kind of League Two side anyway; earlier this season they beat Olympiacos 3-1 and in Munich it was only 1-0 until Lewandowski scored the 2-0 in the 80th minute. Serbia's SuperLiga is obviously not the greatest league in Europe, but you don't win 10 out of 11 matches there with a bunch of farmers.

Last season they got a result against Liverpool and Napoli in the group stage of the CL.
Absolutely. They're clearly a decent Europa League level/ CL fringes side with quite a few good players in the team. They made a lot of chances but were wasteful, and had a very poor defensive shape for whatever reason.

We played very well and were clinical in front of goal.

Back
Top Bottom