New Stadium

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Spurs stadium repayments is almost £50 million a year – but the increase in matchday income is even bigger
25 March 2019 7:55 AM
Photo: Getty Images Tottenham Hotspurs' new stadium was tested on Sunday in a U/18 match with a big crowd watching. Repayments of the stadium loan is almost £50 million a year for Spurs - but the increase in matchday income is even bigger.
New calculations on the stadium repayments. Seems like the club can spend money in the summer transfer market.
Spurs have the opportunity to do what Manchester United did a few years ago by converting some of the loan to bonds.
Still the annual accounts from the club in april will offer more info on the increased stadium building costs.

ALEX MILLER [email protected]

Tottenham’s £637 million stadium debt will cost the club an estimated £50 million a year in interest and loan repayments.
Leading sports-based accountants have estimated that the club will have to pay £47.8 million a year in repayments.
The calculations have been based on information the club have given to date.
The club’s loan facility from Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Goldman Sachs and HSBC stands at £637 million - it was increased from £400 million in October 2018.
Interest rate might have gone up
Although terms have not been confirmed, the previous £400 million facility had an interest rate close to 3.5 per cent, while the increased loan appears to be a simple extension of the previous loan, which has a final repayment in 2022.
Accountants, who wished to remain anonymous, told offthepitch.com they believed the structure of the increased facility has remained the same  and that the financing was secured by the new stadium and related commercial and match day revenues.

The interest rate on the increased loan may have gone up following increases in the Bank of England base rate since 2017.
Based on the club drawing down the full £637 million loan facility - and that the previous interest rate of 3.5 per cent has been maintained - the club will have to pay back £22.3 million a year in interest.
Working on the basis that the club pay back the £637 million loan amount over 25 years, Spurs will pay back a further £25.5 million a year to reduce the loan amount.
Combined, Spurs will have to pay annual finance costs of £47.8 million.
Renenues will dramatically increase
However, these amounts (repayments and interest payments) would fall every year, as the outstanding debt amount decreases.
Spurs’ final season at White Hart Lane (with Champions League games played at Wembley) produced match day revenues of £45.3 million.
The new stadium will dramatically increase the club’s revenues.
Spurs officials have said they expect £100 million in match day revenues at the new stadium, in line with what Woolwich make from the Emirates.
That represents a £55 million a year revenue increase - more than enough to cover the stadium repayments.
The club will earn additional income if they manage to attract a stadium-naming partner, plus NFL games and non-sporting events, such as concerts.

Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy has also confirmed the club want to refinance the loan by converting some of the loan into bonds (as Manchester United did in 2010, when they raised £500 million) at the end of the loan deal.
Reducing payments gradually
If successful, that would raise money by offering to pay it back to investors on a specific date and to make periodic interest payments at lower interest rates than banks command.
That method could be a way of reducing the club’s repayments below the £47.8 million a year figure, affording the club greater cashflow.
The club may shed more light on the debt structure in their next set of accounts, which are expected to be published at the beginning of April. Included in the accounts could be additional annual costs related to the increases in stadium building costs.
Experts close to the build have estimated the final stadium build costs could reach £1.2 billion - although the club has refuted that estimate.
The club will continue to spend money on the stadium build until summer 2020, when a final costing will be possible.

Old article. Two major points to make :

1. Annual interest rate has fallen with the bond issue, difficult to be precise but circa £22m pa

2. There are a series of bonds with varying repayment dates from 15 years inwards. In the Trust minutes Levy says the bonds are covenant light with only a minimum EBITDA ( earnings) covenant, so it maybe that Spurs do not need to put money aside each year to repay the bond. That means that for the next few years Spurs can spend the surplus revenues from the new stadium over the interest repayment as they like.

Initially ( say next 2 years) I'd expect a healthy amount to be spent on players, past that date the stadium surplus may well be split - part spent on new players, part on property investment to generate profits on property development to help repay loans and part simply putting cash aside to build up funds to repay the bonds.

Give the grass a cheeky trim and we are back to normal:

index.php

no shit sherlock, doesn't matter what you write it on if the figures are correct it's going to stack up, if that's how you wanna work you would never get a job at my company.

I said i've seen badly negotiated 'broadcast' deals cripple a business... not every bad business decision has the ability to destroy it.

I do have a clue but unlike you I have to back my figures up with research and case studies... it's just the way professionals expect things to be done. I just don't have the time and can't be arsed for this.

I'm bored of this now. I know my job, the figures are in the public domain. I believe we will net 4-6m per game and you think it will be 1-2m max. Lets leave this to settle until the figures are released at some point.

Well, what do you know. Confirmed. Spurs brought in 4m for nfl games. ie 2m a game.

Its a shame you had to call me all the names under the sun, even though i was right. It was also 2m a game revenue. So I assume thats about 1m a game after costs, if that. Hardly a huge money spinner.

Well, what do you know. Confirmed. Spurs brought in 4m for nfl games. ie 2m a game.

Its a shame you had to call me all the names under the sun, even though i was right. It was also 2m a game revenue. So I assume thats about 1m a game after costs, if that. Hardly a huge money spinner.

Fucking clueless. I said NFL games were worth more than 1-2m per game, most in part to the exposure and global reach the club is getting (to which you said Marketing and Sales BS).

It's been stated online this morning by footballLondon that we get:

- A fixed hosting fee from the NFL
- All food and drink revenue
- All merchandise revenue

Beer sales (even running out) eclipsed £1m... margins are huge on beer.

Regardless of this, as stated by Tottenham themselves the costs of the NFL specific elements of the build (retractable pitch £50m, changing rooms, parking, advertising hoardings, etc.) are covered by the ten year NFL contract. Try adding that up on the back of your cigarette packet and dividing by 20 (minimum £3m per game - easy).

Now we move onto my biggest point, the global exposure... how many times was "Tottenham Hotspur's Stadium" mentioned in the broadcast and subsequently across the globe. How many mentions of this were on social media, hashtags and in news articles? You wanted me to tell you the figures but as I pointed out it's a huge task that takes time to pull together. I've had to do the exact same process post Olympics for International Sport Federations. I don't make shit up I have to back it up with facts!

Now two games have now been played, the club will be on a massive mission to aggregate those figures to show how many territories this was mentioned in, the size of the audience, the social reach. The figures coupled with the PL numbers will make our stadium one of the most attractive naming rights deals on the planet.

For example:

Woolwich get £30m per year for the shirt and stadium naming rights
Man City is worth £22m per year

It's been said currently our rights are worth £17.5m however...

NFL annual stadium rights are worth 15m per year across eight home games so for our two that's an additional £3.75m not to mention the cross-pollination of a sponsor getting exposure in the PL and NFL.

I personally wouldn't be surprised if by the end of the season Levy hasn't struck the most lucrative stadium sponsorship deal to date worth £25-£30m per season. This will have only been possible with the NFL link.

So what is the NFL worth?

I expect when all is said and done over £10m per season.

You have focused on the revenue from the individual game, like lots of people have pointed out to you and you fail to grasp is it's the bigger picture that makes the real money. It's like HP selling printers cheap, they lose money on them but it's the consumables that cream it in on...

Spurs have an economical wizard steering the ship, if you think for one moment he has done the NFL deal to puff his chest you are mistaken.

Please don't mention or tag me. I said before I was done with this. It's an industry I know well but it will take time for the real figures and financial impact to become apparent. When it does then lets chat. Will happily hold my hands up if i'm wrong but I don't want to get drawn into protracted discussion with you.

I wish you good day

is that £4M profit ? or gross ?
if its gross we may only be making £1m profit

Dude, there is a massive margin in food and drink, especially beer! This article also fails to mention revenue from merchandise and the flat fee the NFL gave us for each game. The club have already said the NFL stadium additions are covered by the 10 year contract.

I can't even imagine how much business the club shop would have done on those days, not just NFL gear but transient fans buying spurs gear. Each programme is usually £5... It all adds up and will take time to be aggregated and published.

is that £4M profit ? or gross ?
if its gross we may only be making £1m profit

Spurs have yet to reveal any income numbers from the NFL matches, Bottoms up Beer reported sales of over 1 million on beer (tweet since deleted) and that was when the stadium sold out of beer in the third quarter of the game. If you assume similar numbers for food and other drinks you probably have 2m from the GA area sales. Add the income from the hospitality and restaurants which is about 800k for a football home game and you're at 2.8m ... all of that will be at a very high margin probably North of 50% so 1.4m net

Then comes the big imponderable, merchandising sales, the shop was rammed from dawn til dusk but Spurs are incredibly secretive about sales, it's a 23,000 sqft shop so a high-street equivalent on a busy day will take as much as 1,000 per sqft but very few high-street shops have the footfall Spurs had on Sunday ... I wouldn't be surprised if the store turned over several million and those margins are huge.

As already said Spurs are being very tight-lipped about the money but if you add Beer, Food, Merchandising and the NFL Fee you're probably looking at match-day stadium profit of 3m and maybe a whole lot more.

If you then consider the PR value that could be 10's of millions ... what is the value of a "social Media" fan? Do they become members, buy merchandise, use club branded products? Well Facebook probably know but they're not saying, fair to say Real Madrid's 207m social media followers give their sponsors a huge incentive to pay the massive millions in sponsorship that they do.

We are miles behind that in terms of social media some 25m I think, but we are growing at the fastest rate of any top club, up nearly 28% in a year ... long, long, long way to go but it's the sort of numbers sponsors will fall over each other to get behind ...

Is it all the stadium, no of course not a CL Final sure helped, but having the NFL keep driving that Tottenham name out there ... just what's not to like.

There's talk that they want to increase the number of NFL games in the UK and it's pretty obvious that when it comes to facilities and atmosphere and ease then our stadium is better suited than Wembley.

Reckon it won't be too long before we have three NFL games per season plus the rugby matches and concerts and other events.

The stadium is a money-spinner, of that there is no doubt.

We just need to make sure it doesn't take anymore focus away from our team. Not so good on that front so far but it's early days.

And yeah, Tottenham Hotspur Stadium was said an awful lot on NFL Redzone and it won't be too long before a big American company agrees a naming rights deal with Levy.

There's talk that they want to increase the number of NFL games in the UK and it's pretty obvious that when it comes to facilities and atmosphere and ease then our stadium is better suited than Wembley.

Reckon it won't be too long before we have three NFL games per season plus the rugby matches and concerts and other events.

The stadium is a money-spinner, of that there is no doubt.

We just need to make sure it doesn't take anymore focus away from our team. Not so good on that front so far but it's early days.

And yeah, Tottenham Hotspur Stadium was said an awful lot on NFL Redzone and it won't be too long before a big American company agrees a naming rights deal with Levy.

Wembley's NFL deals runs out in 2020 ... whilst Wembley have been a great host (even covering for us at the last minute) there has to be a question mark about extending. Rather than abandon Wembley the NFL might just add one or two more games to London. It's already on the draft agenda for the owner's meeting next March.

Wembley's NFL deals runs out in 2020 ... whilst Wembley have been a great host (even covering for us at the last minute) there has to be a question mark about extending. Rather than abandon Wembley the NFL might just add one or two more games to London. It's already on the draft agenda for the owner's meeting next March.

Sure, Wembley is a historic name in the sporting world and beyond thanks to concerts such as Band Aid etc and holds more people BUT in terms of facilities (especially for players with regards to the locker rooms and the pitch itself) our stadium is the better venue to host NFL matches.

Spurs have yet to reveal any income numbers from the NFL matches, Bottoms up Beer reported sales of over 1 million on beer (tweet since deleted) and that was when the stadium sold out of beer in the third quarter of the game. If you assume similar numbers for food and other drinks you probably have 2m from the GA area sales. Add the income from the hospitality and restaurants which is about 800k for a football home game and you're at 2.8m ... all of that will be at a very high margin probably North of 50% so 1.4m net

Then comes the big imponderable, merchandising sales, the shop was rammed from dawn til dusk but Spurs are incredibly secretive about sales, it's a 23,000 sqft shop so a high-street equivalent on a busy day will take as much as 1,000 per sqft but very few high-street shops have the footfall Spurs had on Sunday ... I wouldn't be surprised if the store turned over several million and those margins are huge.

As already said Spurs are being very tight-lipped about the money but if you add Beer, Food, Merchandising and the NFL Fee you're probably looking at match-day stadium profit of 3m and maybe a whole lot more.

If you then consider the PR value that could be 10's of millions ... what is the value of a "social Media" fan? Do they become members, buy merchandise, use club branded products? Well Facebook probably know but they're not saying, fair to say Real Madrid's 207m social media followers give their sponsors a huge incentive to pay the massive millions in sponsorship that they do.

We are miles behind that in terms of social media some 25m I think, but we are growing at the fastest rate of any top club, up nearly 28% in a year ... long, long, long way to go but it's the sort of numbers sponsors will fall over each other to get behind ...

Is it all the stadium, no of course not a CL Final sure helped, but having the NFL keep driving that Tottenham name out there ... just what's not to like.

Exactly this... a sponsor seeing those YOY increases will want to jump on it now. The amount we will NET per game will be huge in comparision to what some people are saying but it will take time for the figures to come out - if they do. I understand them wanting to keep this quiet as they don't want to arm competitors or weaken their position. This really isn't bing done for £1-£2m per game

Back
Top Bottom