Tottenham Hotspur v Southampton (28-09-19) (3pm)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Erm, yes I was there. As I said, they had the ball and the territory, both of which we gave to them - but they did nothing with it.

Open play, Hugo didn’t have a save of note to make in second half.
That's just plain wrong. There were at least two (possibly three or four) vital second half saves from Lloris, one of which was bordering on the incredible. I know because I can remember jumping to my feet, applauding and chanting 'Hugoooo' more than once. We were right behind his goal.
Justin's not wrong to say we were getting battered, and it was entirely of our own making. Southampton were more fluent, more controlled, quicker and keener (Aurier's dismissal had a bearing on this, of course) but, rather like the current Spurs squad, they couldn't find the back of the net.
If I were a Saints fan I'd have left the stadium thinking two things:
1. "Why on earth didn't we win that one?"
2. "I am so privileged to have been allowed into that miraculous cathedral of football. Now I can die happy."

A save of note in second half ? I take it you were in the toilet or getting a hot dog when Hugo made 3 world class saves then ?

That's just plain wrong. There were at least two (possibly three or four) vital second half saves from Lloris,

TBF to Danny Blanchflower Danny Blanchflower ,he did say from "open play".

When I first read his post I was of the opinion of you guys i.e. That's bollocks.

IIRC his top saves came from set pieces ?

Edit: This is not to down play anything as I thought (the obvious excepted) Hugo was magnificent.

When I first read his post I was of the opinion of you guys i.e. That's bollocks.

Edit: This is not to down play anything as I thought (the obvious excepted) Hugo was magnificent.
You're right - I must have got over-excited by the thought that I was about to agree with Justin for the first time in my life - and therefore failed to read the post properly.

Thank you stevee stevee ...
(Correct Stevee now in!)

justin justin mummy mummy of course Hugo was brilliant in second half, great handling, two great saves and looked assured despite his 1st half gaffe.

My post was highlighting that in open play I thought we were relatively untroubled (bar the Ings chance where he couldn’t get a toe to it).

The two big saves were of course from the header at the corner and W-Prowse free kick.
(The other top save was low to his right in first half).

No hotdog for me....

:vdvcry:

Your keeper is getting a battering at the moment from some spurs fans, but in that game he made at least 2 absolute top drawer, borderline worldie saves in the second half tbf.

(Saints Fan)
Oh yes, totally forgot that Hugo made some top notch saves that game. Still though...

Agree, but I wouldn't judge yesterday on that . As I said it was a typical 10 man defensive performance, tight in the middle at the expense of wide areas.

There was only 3 more crosses from the right over the left simply because we were attacked more down that side.

The stats you posted, whilst interesting, doesn't show the quality of defending.

On that criteria if a team attacked ONLY down the left, it wouldn't mean that the defenders on the opposite side defended better because they let zero crosses into the box.

IMO it is similar to the Trippier debate, if more attacks came down his side then it stands to reason the opposition would have more chances from there. It doesn't mean Trippier is/was shite very week.

First two goals today crosses from the right, diabolical closing down from Lamela and Sissoko.

No. But being 2-0 down definitely didn’t help.
You're absolutely correct, the first 2 goals were all on Lamela and Sissoko.

It had nothing to do with Hugo dropping the ball, from a bread and butter cross, 6 inches from his own goal line for the first goal.

The second goal had nothing to do with Jan and Davies leaving an attacker completely unmarked 8 yards out and in the middle of the goal.

You're absolutely correct, the first 2 goals were all on Lamela and Sissoko.

It had nothing to do with Hugo dropping the ball, from a bread and butter cross, 6 inches from his own goal line for the first goal.

The second goal had nothing to do with Jan and Davies leaving an attacker completely unmarked 8 yards out and in the middle of the goal.

Cause-effect.

Cause-effect.
Name one team that stopped every cross coming in ?

That's football, crosses come into the box and the defenders and 'keeper are supposed to deal with it.

If they can't then the blame is spread EQUALLY between all defensive players not blamed on the FB and RM whoever that happens to be. Especially when the defending in the middle was awful.

Back
Top Bottom