Tottenham Hotspur v Bayern Munich (01-10-19) (20:00)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

You have to admit though Ossie Wembley , it is far harder to win trophies now than it ever has been.

Look at since Pep & Klopp rucked up, we have 25 man strong squad s now that allow for 2nd strings for our rivals with wedge to send out star studded 2nd XIs. The pressing game for those 25 Man superstar squads wipes the floor with a team that has a good first XI but comes up short money wise to appease a further XI to push them.

It's no surprise to me to see City dominating cups these days as well. We should of course be doing better but the three highest points totals ever achieved by PL clubs has occurred 3 times over the last couple of years. Both Pep and Klopps efforts have gained more points than Mourinho's Chelsea, Ferguson's Manu U outfits and Wengers star studded Woolwich teams. We had all four finalists in European competition last season an drew our quality on these shores has seen multiple teams smash their transfer records this year and last.

It's far tougher now to win a trophy than it was 5-15 years ago. We need to respect the circumstances and the change that's happened in football with it regardless of our underperformance.
You are right. But the only way to compete is to invest heavily. And we all know that under Levy, it's not going to happen.

Like any argument/discussion, I can see both sides.
From being of the opinion that Poch was the best thing since sliced bread and could no wrong, playing some wonderful football, with a perfectly balanced side that played with an incredible team spirit , who genuinely had a chance to win trophies, I am now questioning whether he is up to the job of a much needed rebuild.
It saddens me to see such a team becoming so ordinary, even inept, and Poch has to take his share of the blame. Mind you, so do the players, they are really quite spoilt and don't always appear to give their all.
I was hoping that Poch was our perfect fit, someone who really understood what we were all about and gave us some much needed stability, after having a ridiculous number of managers/coaches in recent times. Looks like that particular bubble has burst, but I still want him and the team to turn it around. Wishful thinking maybe, but I can still hope.
I’m of the same mind with Pochettino he is young and learning his trade and we would benefit I also wanted to have consistency with a manager not knee jerk reaction when it went pear shaped and we get rid, stick it out and work through it, which I’m hoping we do I’ve supported him from the of and was willing him to do well but he’s made decisions that I’ve questioned and thought......erm that’s not right but gave him the benefit of the doubt we’ve had a good run at it over the last three seasons really can’t complain about a dip......as long as it doesn’t last to long. But still want him as our manager!

You are right. But the only way to compete is to invest heavily. And we all know that under Levy, it's not going to happen.

The club, rightly so won't go outside of FFP numbers. When clubs spend beyond their means like in all walks of life it only leads to one thing long term and that's trouble.

It's tedious but it was right to focus on how to make more money so we can invest it as opposed to fall back on sugar daddy money. If the NFL thing takes off that will add a lot of value to the brand, draw in plenty of added revenue in naming rights, commercial partnerships etc. It's more long winded but it's the right thing to do.

We compete with a guy who owns the Red Sox, a Russian blood money billionaire, a guy that owns/ owned the Tampa Bay Bucaneers, a guy who owns the LA Rams and a club pretty much owned by Qatar. Large investment isn't always the solution, we compete with juggernaut owners and clubs with about a 15 year head start on us when it comes to serious PL and commercial money.

Spurs will be a slow burner, the sooner people accept that the better it'll be for the club. Grow the money side of of, grow the ability to spend that money and invest like yourself and all of us desire mate.

Christ, you're a twat! ....I couldn't get a ticket, and took the rare opportunity to see a band that I love instead.

You talk such shit....

Tell me, what did I predict?

Show me something that amounts to me giving the guy a "free pass"....

Appreciating the progress between when he took over and the peaks of his reign is not "making excuses" nor does it make me a "failure".... I've thoroughly enjoyed supporting the club through the bulk of the last 6 years.... You've sat whinging; win, lose or draw.... Grinding your teeth when we have done well..... How have I lost?

You mock using the 'best fan' line, but you're actually acting like this is some kind of competition; you think you've won... It's laughable.

What the fuck have you done to 'protect' the club from your perceived tyranny of Poch?

You're a fucking idiot and a miserable shit-stain of a 'man'.

Looking forward to the weekend.... I bet you're not.
He could easily have not said much. It's not every day a team willl score 7 goals from 10 shots on target. I can't remember the last time I saw such a high percentage of goals scored to shot s on target. If we had done the same and been as ruthless with the decent chances we had we could easily have walked away with 4-5 in that game. Sonny in particular was very wasteful, as wasn't Ndombele with a very good chance hit straight at the goalkeeper.

I've seen Spurs get battered in the past and whilst Bayern were a class above us the other night, the scoreline was one of the most flattering I can remember. If we had decided to settle for it being 4-2 I am certain those further 3 goals they score would never have occurred. We went for it, got caught short and then licked our wounds for too long after an drew before we know it Bayern have made a mockery of our attitude. A massively let down but the scoreline was harsh and the finishing on end of the most ruthless displays I've ever seen. Every one of them was bottom corner and hit pure
I have to agree with Borodin. He did what any decent fair-minded manager would have done. When you've won a game by any score, you don't gloat. You commiserate. I thought he was a gentleman and a good ambassador for the game.

As a Malteser, do you know Gozo?
latest

The club, rightly so won't go outside of FFP numbers. When clubs spend beyond their means like in all walks of life it only leads to one thing long term and that's trouble.

It's tedious but it was right to focus on how to make more money so we can invest it as opposed to fall back on sugar daddy money. If the NFL thing takes off that will add a lot of value to the brand, draw in plenty of added revenue in naming rights, commercial partnerships etc. It's more long winded but it's the right thing to do.

We compete with a guy who owns the Red Sox, a Russian blood money billionaire, a guy that owns/ owned the Tampa Bay Bucaneers, a guy who owns the LA Rams and a club pretty much owned by Qatar. Large investment isn't always the solution, we compete with juggernaut owners and clubs with about a 15 year head start on us when it comes to serious PL and commercial money.

Spurs will be a slow burner, the sooner people accept that the better it'll be for the club. Grow the money side of of, grow the ability to spend that money and invest like yourself and all of us desire mate.
You are of course right however whilst we are"burning slowly" the competition is getting further and further in front. How are we supposed to narrow an already large gap from becoming bigger ? We are being left behind because we won't address the 21st century way of getting things done. If you're happy just being a mid table team then that's ok. Just watching for the pleasure of it is completely valid. Some posters and supporters want more. We need to choose which type of supporter to be. I'll follow Spurs whatever the future is but a lot of people want trophies and I can't blame them for their frustration.

Rewatched 30min highlights of the game last night, here's a few things I notice.

Why was I seeing so much praise for N'dombele? People (on twitter at least) were saying he was the best of a bad bunch and our imploding was because he got subbed off, when the fact is, he was directly involved in Bayern's first two goals. The first one, albeit a great finish from Kimmich, N'dombele got completely ruined by him. That there should show Poch his deficiencies in defending/marking. The second goal was even worst because he tries dribbling in his own box instead of clearly the ball out (twice), of course, he has a bad touch and the ball finds a Bayern player for the second. I don't know why, at times, N'dombele reminds me of Sissoko with technical abilities but without the speed.

Another thing of note is the formation argument. I don't like the diamond formation either, but it seems like the media and twitter did not notice that we weren't playing the diamond in the 2nd half, when we gave up 5 goals. In fact, we looked most dangerous in the first 35 mins when we were playing the diamond and pressing hard, its after Poch tries switching formations around that Bayern begin truly dominating. Arguments against the Diamond formation could've been made for other times, Tuesday was not. But of course, everyone just seems to run with that.

I think it's time we (the fans, players, coaching staff etc) all moved on from the Bayern defeat.
It was a group game - we went for it at 4-2 and kept getting hit. They were fortunate everything hit the net, and we were terrible mentally after letting in the 5th. But it doesn't make or break our season that game.

Still think we take 2nd in the group, and think we can go there for a respectable draw once they are already through - similar to the Barca game.

Have been reading the blame game going in every direction, with individuals choosing to focus on certain aspect of blame - and to an extent I agree with everyone, because it's a collective thing. To blame 1 thing or person more than another is naive in just looking for a focal point. The fact nobody can agree on a central focus of blame suggests to me there isn't 1 thing.

The longer we allow ourselves to dwell on things like that Bayern defeat - or the Champions League final loss - the longer it will hurt everyone.. I know it's the standard media response in football - but on this occasion I do believe we just need to look at the next game, and where we go from here. We can learn from the past but can't change it. We can go on to have a good season from this position though.

My central point of blame is the 1st June. But having read everyone else commenting about Levy investment, Poch losing the dressing room, poor transfer business, players like Serge, Dele, Rose being out of form etc - I agree with everything to a degree, so I too need to move on from purely blaming it on that bullshit defeat in Madrid.

I think it's time we (the fans, players, coaching staff etc) all moved on from the Bayern defeat.
It was a group game - we went for it at 4-2 and kept getting hit. They were fortunate everything hit the net, and we were terrible mentally after letting in the 5th. But it doesn't make or break our season that game.

Still think we take 2nd in the group, and think we can go there for a respectable draw once they are already through - similar to the Barca game.

Have been reading the blame game going in every direction, with individuals choosing to focus on certain aspect of blame - and to an extent I agree with everyone, because it's a collective thing. To blame 1 thing or person more than another is naive in just looking for a focal point. The fact nobody can agree on a central focus of blame suggests to me there isn't 1 thing.

The longer we allow ourselves to dwell on things like that Bayern defeat - or the Champions League final loss - the longer it will hurt everyone.. I know it's the standard media response in football - but on this occasion I do believe we just need to look at the next game, and where we go from here. We can learn from the past but can't change it. We can go on to have a good season from this position though.

My central point of blame is the 1st June. But having read everyone else commenting about Levy investment, Poch losing the dressing room, poor transfer business, players like Serge, Dele, Rose being out of form etc - I agree with everything to a degree, so I too need to move on from purely blaming it on that bullshit defeat in Madrid.

I agree but I don't think moving on and ignoring it is the way forward, I think it needs to be used as fuel, kick up the arse material for the club.

No fear or negativity, I'd be excepting the guys to come out of the traps and to not just beat Brighton but to beat them convincingly. I want to see hurt, I want to see the snarling because of it but yes the club should put a freak 10 shots on target, 7 scored behind us ASAP.

Watch the first 35 mins, cracking stuff from both sides; could've been 3-2 after 35 mins.

Another one in denial.
What is it with so many on here forever banging on about how well it looked for 38 minutes... Son should have this .. could have that? BM went in at half time leading 1:2 and “ very slightly “ deserved their lead; but thereafter there was only one team on the pitch and it wasn’t us!

Another one in denial.
What is it with so many on here forever banging on about how well it looked for 38 minutes... Son should have this .. could have that? BM went in at half time leading 1:2 and “ very slightly “ deserved their lead; but thereafter there was only one team on the pitch and it wasn’t us!
The point was that it was a very entertaining first half (at least the vast majority of it) and well worth watching back for any football fan who did miss it. And indeed both sides had at least 4 good chances (Son a couple, Ndombele, Kane) in the first half, it was great to watch.

Last edited:
They were fortunate everything hit the net
Do you truly believe that they were 'fortunate' seven times during that match ?? Watch the goals again. They were clinical and professional. Lewandowski's first goal was a striker masterclass, quick control, turn and shoot into the corner, didn't even have to look where the goal was, pure instinct. Gnabry was a manager's dream, hungry,committed and ruthless finishing.
Nobody should just 'move on' from that defeat. We need to learn everything we can from that game in order to improve our own level of performances. On the night we were ripped apart, accept it, analyse and implement remedies so it never, ever happens again...but do not try and sweep it under the carpet as a one off.

The point was that it was a very entertaining first half (at least the vast majority of it) and well worth watching back for any football fan who did miss it. And indeed both sides had at least 4 good chances (Son a couple, Ndombele, Kane) in the first half, it was great to watch.

You’re obviously much more laid back than I am as you can recollect such “enjoyment” and “entertainment” based on the first 35 mins of the game. In “ real time”, I’d agree with you, but this being days later - and what happened once we fell behind pretty much null and voids such early doors entertainment.

Unlike you I’m not letting this lot off the hook so easily!

I’m still fuming!

I agree but I don't think moving on and ignoring it is the way forward, I think it needs to be used as fuel, kick up the arse material for the club.

No fear or negativity, I'd be excepting the guys to come out of the traps and to not just beat Brighton but to beat them convincingly. I want to see hurt, I want to see the snarling because of it but yes the club should put a freak 10 shots on target, 7 scored behind us ASAP.

No you don't ignore it - you learn from it, but don't dwell on it and feel sorry for yourselves. When the 5th goal went in - we felt sorry for ourselves and that was the result on the shorter term.

It's not a convincing win I think we need. We have goals, and players will score goals for us. It's the clean sheet and defensive performance I want to see. Players defending for each other - not passing the buck because it's not their starting position to cover.

Give me a 0-2 and I will take it over a 2-7.

I don't want to see players kicking lumps out of people to show they have passion. When the going is good or bad, like Poch always says to the point of being monotonous - we need to be calm.

Back
Top Bottom