Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Re: Trophies and perceived lack of success or pedigree until said trophies have been won.

Poch and Levy are playing the game of modern football (pitch and boardroom) as it needs to be played in 2019 and are making a relative success of it.

Parts of the fan base and the media are expecting him to be playing the game as if it was 1975.

I don't like it anymore than you men.

But I've said it before and ill say it again. Don't hate the player(s). Hate the game.
People just can’t accept that the demands of modern football, (is it really that modern? because it’s now 20 years since Man Utd withdrew from the FA Cup).

In 2008 We won a league cup and watched our strikeforce at the time leave. A domestic cup in 2019 doesn’t improve the status of your club - see Wigan, Portsmouth, Swansea. It’s would be a nice exclamation point to have, but it’s about regular CL participation and challenging for your league.

And it’s not like he hasn’t gone after domestic trophies, 4 times he’s gone close.

Not if he started Lucas and we actually caused Liverpool some problems and won.... which we probably would have because they were fucking shit that night
Probably would have won if Lucas started? Behave Sammy, Lucas is not exactly consistent, although maybe should have started ahead of Son. The truth is we did get in to good positions but were let down down by poor play in the final third - ironically very little of that was Kane's fault. I honestly wonder sometimes if everyone is watching a different game. The morons go, "well we lost and Kane was playing, so let's turn on him". What about the period before that where we were playing atrociously? Ajax at home we got battered. Even Ajax away was, if we are honest, a load of luck. I remember congratulating Ajax fans in the stadium as we were being dominated. Don't worry they chucked beer at me in the second half.

People just can’t accept that the demands of modern football, (is it really that modern? because it’s now 20 years since Man Utd withdrew from the FA Cup).

In 2008 We won a league cup and watched our strikeforce at the time leave. A domestic cup in 2019 doesn’t improve the status of your club - see Wigan, Portsmouth, Swansea. It’s would be a nice exclamation point to have, but it’s about regular CL participation and challenging for your league.

And it’s not like he hasn’t gone after domestic trophies, 4 times he’s gone close.

Its a hard thing to let go of - The game should be about glory.

There are two issues at play as far as i'm concerned:

The "best" (or most proficient) team in a cup competition doesn't necessarily win it. This is due to the chaotic / random nature of cup draws and knock out games. The two comps that reap the largest rewards (and therefore get the most attention by the most commercially driven clubs) are the hardest to win.

Secondly, there is an overriding narrative within football supporters and mainstream media that trophies are the ONLY indication of success. It is used by our own supporters to knock the ownership, the media to maintain an expected order and push comfortable content and opposition fans to disregard our achievements / position within the hierarchy.

I honestly think that a lot of fans would like to see us lift a League Cup in the main part so they can tell other fans on twitter to fuck off. Despite the fact that the first response from Adrian Durham types would be "The League Cup, big fucking deal".

This debate has been played out many times on here of course. The response is predictable. I'm not stating that i'm happy with the way the club prioritises its goals. Just that i'm realistic about how they ascertain those priorities and how it isn't going to change any time soon.... if ever

Last edited:
Probably would have won if Lucas started? Behave Sammy, Lucas is not exactly consistent, although maybe should have started ahead of Son. The truth is we did get in to good positions but were let down down by poor play in the final third - ironically very little of that was Kane's fault. I honestly wonder sometimes if everyone is watching a different game. The morons go, "well we lost and Kane was playing, so let's turn on him". What about the period before that where we were playing atrociously? Ajax at home we got battered. Even Ajax away was, if we are honest, a load of luck. I remember congratulating Ajax fans in the stadium as we were being dominated. Don't worry they chucked beer at me in the second half.

Poch plays player who was out of form even before he got injured....in the biggest match in our history, after not kicking a ball in some two months and he still can’t do any wrong......sigh

Maybe you forgot the scoreline at the time Kane got injured v City at home, and then how the match finished.

You can point to all the poor moments of the Ajax games as much as you want, at the end of the day, in those 4 games of the quarters and semis, we scored seven goals with Kane not on the pitch.

Guess how many we scored in the final..

I find it a little tedious that people who don’t agree with me that Lo Celso could have played some full games this season, feel that Kane’s fitness for the CL final was not only good enough to start him, but then watch the shit show of his performance and STILL think it was the right call.

Kane starts that final no matter what.

Ridiculous to say otherwise.

Within a week Southgate was being criticised for NOT playing Kane from the start.

You get what you pay for so to speak.....you want Kane no matter what, then you Kane no matter what.

Shame for us in a game like this, we got the chronically out of form and injured version.

Fuck Moura he’s not one of our own anyway

Poch post Olympiacos:

I think it’s easy to explain. When we are not showing that intensity that the competition demands we struggle. We are not talking about quality. We’re talking about being focused, concentrated, aggressive, anticipating the action. How many times did we anticipate today? How many times we were not proactive like we were against Palace. That is a very good example in three days, it’s a massive difference. It’s not about tactics, it’s not about quality players, it’s about the quality of preparing yourself to be ready to fight. At this type of level you need to match the opponent in terms of intensity, aggression, in excitement and motivation and then is going to appear your quality when you are connected with the game.

That’s the first demand you need to work with. It’s not only the responsibility of one person. It’s everyone’s responsibility and it’s not possible to, in three days, how we start the game today be a massive difference. That is my disappointment. I feel disappointed for everyone. Of course we can say after that we scored twice and maybe in the second half we played better, but I think from the beginning of this season we are conceding a lot of chances, a lot of goals and we need to change that way. I think the only way we can change is demanding more from ourselves and that is the way we are going to change, trying to be more consistent over different days, showing more performances like Palace and not like today.

Welp
I mean either the players didn’t follow the plan or his plan was to play terribly.

Not going to defend Sanchez at RB again and the performances in 4/6 games this season have been concerning but the criticism is getting over the top.

Harry Kane says Tottenham have not learned from their mistakes after they threw away a 2-0 lead against Olympiakos in the Champions League.

Despite leading through Kane's penalty and Lucas Moura's emphatic finish, last season's beaten finalists were held to a 2-2 draw in Greece.

"You can see why the manager is frustrated," said England forward Kane.

"He has been here for five years now and we are still making similar mistakes as we were the first year."

Tottenham also conceded a 2-0 lead in the north London derby at Woolwich on 1 September, and Kane said the team had to improve.

"We are not young any more, we are not inexperienced, we have played in big games for club and country," he added.

"We have to try to find a way to get around it and improve and get better. That is all we can try to do."

Nail on the head from Harry. It feels like 2013/14 all over again tbh.

Back
Top Bottom