New Stadium

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

This sums me up. sure there is many like me.

Cost of a game is close to 150 quid when factoring ticket and travel plus food and drink.

1) atmosphere is shit cos of above
2) prices your mates out unless they are hardcore spurs fans
3) id rather spend the money on something else
4) place is full of old people as the youth can't afford it

Id rather save my money for couple of games and go on holiday. that's how stupid it is.

I agree and have got to that point.

I can afford to go but am choosing not to as the cost of going is no longer something I am happy to pay for.

2,200 to watch football. you're crazy. let the next crazy have it

question is whether these prices can be sustained after the novelty of new ground has worn off
im fairly sure, at some point in time, someone said "a penny to watch football. you're crazy. let the crazy have it"

thing is, as Ive always said, the day that a price was put on going to a football match, then someone somewhere was being priced out.

When i had a season ticket in the 90s, when we were shite, it was still more than 400 quid.
you could just apply and get one in those days too. no waiting lists for match tickets, no waiting lists for season tickets. even as recently as the last season at old WHL, i bought tickets a cowuple of times in that season just by going on the website. Im gonna bet thats not gonna happen too often in the new place

Last edited:
If I couldn't afford a season ticket, I would probably give up watching live football altogether, as Spurs are the only team I'm interested in. However, if I started to get withdrawal symptoms, I would go and watch Hornchurch or Dagenham & Redbridge. But it goes without saying, it wouldn't be the same.
At the moment I can afford it, thankfully, but once I retire fully, then I might have to think again.

Since when? EPL football is long since a multi-billion business run by highly paid professionals providing a product on a supply and demand basis ...

If you want "the game of the people" then that's on the TV or Internet where millions watch every game ... the stadium and fans at the top level are just part of the cost of doing business.

Do I like that? No I remember the days when it was a few old pence, when it was 90% locals who walked to the ground, when it was the working man's game ... but I'm not naive or stupid enough to realise that those days in the EPL are long gone.

Just like smoking, drink driving, no helmets or seat belts, were the norm back in the day now they are not ... standing in a sea of piss at the bottom of a crumbling terrace with no roof, no toilets, no food no security yeah we all did that ... but that's gone and never coming back.

The only way you will reduce prices is if Spurs get relegated ... do you wish for that?

If for you football is all about a cheap day out try the O's or your local non-league team, they would welcome your support and for you it would be like stepping back in time ... wanting to have your cake and eat it is a nice thought but it can't happen, doesn't matter how much you whine about it this is 2019 not 1960

Club is squeezing every last penny from the fans.

If your happy with that go ahead.

Club is squeezing every last penny from the fans.

No it's Spurs just competing in the business environment that is the EPL - if you can't grasp that business concept then you've got no chance of understanding the economics.

Spurs could go back to the income of five years ago and sure you'd have cheaper tickets, you'd also be watching mid-table football on a par with West Ham and Crystal Palace, is that what you dream about?

You can't have it both ways ... it's like wanting to drive a Bugatti Veyron on a Honda Jazz budget ... it's a nice idea but it's never going to happen.

No it's Spurs just competing in the business environment that is the EPL - if you can't grasp that business concept then you've got no chance of understanding the economics.

Spurs could go back to the income of five years ago and sure you'd have cheaper tickets, you'd also be watching mid-table football on a par with West Ham and Crystal Palace, is that what you dream about?

You can't have it both ways ... it's like wanting to drive a Bugatti Veyron on a Honda Jazz budget ... it's a nice idea but it's never going to happen.

Like others have said. Gate receipts is now a small portion of income.

Theres no need to fleece the fans.

Like others have said. Gate receipts is now a small portion of income.

Gate receipts for NWHL will be the same or more than those at the Emirates so well north of 120 million ... you might think that's a "small portion" but the truth is it still represents over 25% of our income. Without it we'd have no new signings and probably have been forced to sell a Harry or a Son to balance the books ..

again is that what you want?

A cap at 50 quid

I get what you're saying and if that were applied to all clubs in the EPL it would seem to be fair, but the truth is it would severely hurt the London clubs ... for us about 70m a year drop in income whilst still having to pay London costs ... why would you want to disadvantage our club to benefit our rivals? The whole purpose of spending 800 million on a stadium was to increase revenue, now you want to negate that spend ...

The only way ticket prices will drop, and it could happen, is if supply drops below demand ... we could be like West Ham 60,000 ground 40m in ticket sale, trouble is then we'd have the same standard of squad they do as well.

You can't have your cake and eat it not in any highly competitive business, and certainly not in top flight football.

I've only managed to get to the new stadium once so far which was the Inter game during pre-season and although I know it wasnt the usual matchday crowd, it still felt a little weird in my section. There were lots of families around me, but also a huge number of foreign tourists. Whilst it's great that tickets are selling and the club is world renowned, the atmosphere was pathetic and people were constantly getting up to go buy snacks or whatever all through the game.

I genuinely get the feeling that the club don't care who buys the tickets as long as they're sold. I get the impression that the stadium is more of a tourist attraction to the club and they're happy to keep ticket prices high because people clearly people will pay for them. And tickets are selling because as a OHPlus member I cant get tickets for the Sheff Utd game that I want to go to unless I pay well over £100 on the exchange. I don't want to spend that much though.
The longer Levy stays in charge the more I get the feeling that Spurs are run purely as a business with the football playing second fiddle.

I've only managed to get to the new stadium once so far which was the Inter game during pre-season and although I know it wasnt the usual matchday crowd, it still felt a little weird in my section. There were lots of families around me, but also a huge number of foreign tourists. Whilst it's great that tickets are selling and the club is world renowned, the atmosphere was pathetic and people were constantly getting up to go buy snacks or whatever all through the game.

I genuinely get the feeling that the club don't care who buys the tickets as long as they're sold. I get the impression that the stadium is more of a tourist attraction to the club and they're happy to keep ticket prices high because people clearly people will pay for them. And tickets are selling because as a OHPlus member I cant get tickets for the Sheff Utd game that I want to go to unless I pay well over £100 on the exchange. I don't want to spend that much though.
The longer Levy stays in charge the more I get the feeling that Spurs are run purely as a business with the football playing second fiddle.

This is the nature of the beast when you want to join the elite and be a global brand. It’s the same at all the big clubs, being in the CL and having world class players attracts casual fans and tourists. Going to a Spurs game is now something worth travelling halfway around the world for.

Personally I’d rather have a glorious stadium like ours with 20,000 tourists in it than a small stadium full of diehards that restricts our ability to compete at the top. This was a change that had to come for us to take the next step. I don’t know how you can watch the goals yesterday and think the football plays second fiddle for Levy. The football is supposed to improve in tandem with our status as a club, and for the last 5 years that has generally been the case.

Match ticket, car park, train ticket, burger, 2 cokes and 3 Bulmers

Around £115.

As I mentioned before, I will sell 9 on the exchange if possible and use the cash do a couple of CL games and one or two aways.

I'm afraid it's not a working class mans sport anymore Mate.. Greedy mercenaries have sucked the fun out of the game.
The match day experience has changed for ever unfortunately.

Football is supposed to belong to the community. The working mans game.

Levy says he is a custodian of the club. He's right in saying part of his job is to make sure he doesn't pay silly transfer fees and wages to players. Its also important not to price the majority of society out of attending games.

That hasn't been true since the birth of Sky/PL.

so like pretty much every other club in the premiership then?

I'm afraid it's not a working class mans sport anymore Mate.. Greedy mercenaries have sucked the fun out of the game.
The match day experience has changed for ever unfortunately.

Agree. Not too bad where we are in 322 and luckily my brother in law is doing more games this season so at least I have someone to travel up and back with on my 4.5-5 hour round trip.

But if I were to lose my job or retire I would only do a handful of games a season.

Football is supposed to belong to the community. The working mans game. Levy says he is a custodian of the club. He's right in saying part of his job is to make sure he doesn't pay silly transfer fees and wages to players. Its also important not to price the majority of society out of attending games.

Some hope of them living up to that logic. It’s all about profit and maximising profit- they don’t care about the bloke that’s been going for decades but has been priced out; if they did the sign for the £10 seats would be well placed.

Back
Top Bottom