Lucas Moura

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Definitely feel he should have come on in the last 20mins as his pace and direct running could have fucked them cunts on the counter. He is definitely more of an impact player than a regular starter for me.
Agreed.
Too inconsistent to be a guarantee starter, excellent competition to keep Sonny & Dele on their toes but agreed, the guy is best as an absolute unit off the bench.
Not a guaranteed starter but only because Son is outstanding. I think we fail to properly value Moura and I won't be surprised if he looks to fuck off next summer

Agreed.

Not a guaranteed starter but only because Son is outstanding. I think we fail to properly value Moura and I won't be surprised if he looks to fuck off next summer

He's a winner, very tenacious, always positive but I think he gets overlooked too frequently or isn't trusted enough to get a good run of games. Sadly for him he's bang out of luck in a team with so much attacking talent but he also needs to taken his chances when given to him.

I'd start him against Palace at home the next game, I'd also think seriously about giving Lo Celso a run out after a very impressively little cameo towards the end of the game.

Tough one with Lucas because as you said when Sonny turns up he's a brutal attacker.

After international break with cup games we will be playing 2times a week and he should play 1 of them to keep Son and Kane fresher. I do not think playing all 3 works. I think during this period we will not have a first 11 but the trusted members of the squad will alternate with 3/4 changes per match. However we do need to make better use of subs and it was good to see a sub before 60 mins yesterday.

After international break with cup games we will be playing 2times a week and he should play 1 of them to keep Son and Kane fresher. I do not think playing all 3 works. I think during this period we will not have a first 11 but the trusted members of the squad will alternate with 3/4 changes per match. However we do need to make better use of subs and it was good to see a sub before 60 mins yesterday.

last week showed playing all three is wrong but him and Son should be rotated, playing 70mins/20mins each. They should be told to run until they drop then they will be subbed. The very least this will do is stretch the game, give us space and tire their defenders out so the other one can come on fresh and capitalise. I don't know why we aren't doing this every week. Him and Son can dribble and run into those pockets ALL game...

Quite on contrary - I think some here are massively overrating his overall ability.

I think when he signed it was pointed out that he was one of the most creative players in whole of CL campaign for PSG. But for us, we have never really seen this side of him - being creative, building the game or playing clever passes. For us he has turned to poacher of a player - scores (last season 15 goal is absolutely reasonable return), but his overall contribution is not enough to warrant him a start. Son is just more complete player and is rightfully ahead of him.

Though I agree with this sentiment that we could and should try to play with 3 upfront without Kane and with Son and Moura (maybe Alli/Eriksen bit behind Son and Moura; or possibly giving chance to Parrott in a cup game).

He is important part of the squad, and I am happy he is with us. He works hard, is always fighting to get shit done, but maybe not this all-around superstar as some might suggest here :) .

Quite on contrary - I think some here are massively overrating his overall ability.

I think when he signed it was pointed out that he was one of the most creative players in whole of CL campaign for PSG. But for us, we have never really seen this side of him - being creative, building the game or playing clever passes. For us he has turned to poacher of a player - scores (last season 15 goal is absolutely reasonable return), but his overall contribution is not enough to warrant him a start. Son is just more complete player and is rightfully ahead of him.

Though I agree with this sentiment that we could and should try to play with 3 upfront without Kane and with Son and Moura (maybe Alli/Eriksen bit behind Son and Moura; or possibly giving chance to Parrott in a cup game).

He is important part of the squad, and I am happy he is with us. He works hard, is always fighting to get shit done, but maybe not this all-around superstar as some might suggest here :) .

Damn good player for all the reasons you mention; couldn't give a fuck if any of our lads are considered "superstars" or not....

....What does that even mean in significant terms?

Damn good player for all the reasons you mention; couldn't give a fuck if any of our lads are considered "superstars" or not....

....What does that even mean in significant terms?

Just explained it in other part of the post, why are you focusing on one sentence.

He is fast, hard-working and rather good finisher. But not so brilliant all-around attacking player (at least for time being, at least for Spurs) that he should be granted starting XI place - Son for example having the same upsides to Moura, yet he is better all-around player.

If Spurs have reasonable success this season we should be playing close to 60 games.

No player can play that number of games and play well, so Poch needs to sort out a rotation system where Son from time to time plays as striker to rest Kane, Moura plays in place of Son from time to time to rest Son, and the same sort of rotation with all the players, except maybe GK's.

I'm sure Poch will choose his 'best team' for big games, depending upon whose fit, but this will be helped with rotation such that our best players are playing say 40/45 games in the season out of the 60.

With a squad of around 24 players (and excluding youngsters like Parrott and Tanganga who may get half a dozen appearances off the bench) that kind of rotation means that all the players can be involved from time to time and when called upon are reasonably match fit.

Just explained it in other part of the post, why are you focusing on one sentence.

The phrase superstar intrigues me... You're not the only person to use it.... I found it note worthy.

He is fast, hard-working and rather good finisher. But not so brilliant all-around attacking player (at least for time being, at least for Spurs) that he should be granted starting XI place - Son for example having the same upsides to Moura, yet he is better all-around player.

Lucas isn't the complete player... Little for me to dispute there, but equally Sonny can be a frustratingly patchy player. Similarly there are things that Lucas can do that Sonny can't. He's wicked in the air for example.

In terms of the kind of creativity you mention; what do you think set's him & Sonny apart?

Lucas isn't the complete player... Little for me to dispute there, but equally Sonny can be a frustratingly patchy player. Similarly there are things that Lucas can do that Sonny can't. He's wicked in the air for example.

In terms of the kind of creativity you mention; what do you think set's him & Sonny apart?

Yes, Sonny can be frustrating; patchy and frustraitingly patchy - agreed. But less then Lucas.
And yes - in terms of headers won, Moura punches way above his weight (or well - height!).

difference in creativity and build up play - well, I would say that :
- Sonny is quicker in thinking - he can just poke the ball through when eye of the needle opens. From Moura I have not seen it
- it seems to me that Sonny close control is also bit better - Moura tends to let the ball bounce bit far so that he has to make sure he'll be there before the defender + has to get it under control, Son seems to have less of such issue

Those are two main things that come to mind.
And difference can be seen in stats as well -for 3 years running, Sonny has scored 20 and assisted 10. While Moura last season scored 5 less and basically... did not assist (I think he had 1 over all comps combined). So I'd say Sonny really has bigger impact overall.

This article yesterday :

The google translation is :
In full negotiation for the return of Neymar, FC Barcelona had the opportunity to sign Lucas Moura, a 27-year-old Brazilian from Tottenham who had previously played with PSG.The business proved unfeasible because the price for which the Spurs led by Mauricio Pochettino had let him out of London exceeded 50 million euros.

Were we really willing to sell Lucas ?? :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

This article yesterday :

The google translation is :
In full negotiation for the return of Neymar, FC Barcelona had the opportunity to sign Lucas Moura, a 27-year-old Brazilian from Tottenham who had previously played with PSG.The business proved unfeasible because the price for which the Spurs led by Mauricio Pochettino had let him out of London exceeded 50 million euros.

Were we really willing to sell Lucas ?? :thumbdown: :thumbdown:
We just gave him a new 5 year deal so the short answer is no. Maybe Barca inquired and Spurs told them no (this is the story that I have seen, Mundo rarely writes something that isn't pro Barca).

Could of course be that Poch is not a fan of the lad and Lucas is more a Levy purchase. But I think the simple answer is this is all made up. We were not going to sell a guy 2 weeks after he got a new 5 year deal.

I would like to see a run of a few games in a 4-3-3...

Midfield of Sissoko left, Lo Celso (CAM), and Ndombele right
Left wing of Son, Striker Kane, and right wing of Lucas

Eriksen and Dele off the bench

The pace and directness on the wings would be something to behold. We would wear our opponents’ full backs.

The pace and directness on the wings would be something to behold. We would wear our opponents’ full backs.

Winksy for Sissoko and I don't even care about formations. Have at it, lads. :D

If you can find me a single clip of Son / Moura delivering a decent cross I'd be surprised. Their instinct is to cut inside and every defender knows this. The threat comes in the over lapping runs from out full backs who get space since defenders are covering the cut inside from Lucas / Son.

Our issue is that the players in our squad to make those runs are bobbins at crossing too!!! Rose, KWP, Sissoko, Davis. No threat. That is why Trippier worked so well for a couple of seasons. Once teams got wise to the threat they worked out his style and were able to stop him.

Back
Top Bottom