Tottenham v Newcastle (Sunday 25 August 16.30)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Take ownership of your words man; you declared that as EVERYONE's united opinion.....

Calm down and maybe explain what YOU think is happening, rather than blurt out a load of mellodrama and claim everyone feels the same.
What I was trying to point out is that everyone who has posted during and after the game was in agreement about the shambolic way we've been playing. Last games of last season and 2 out of 3 this season. What I actually said was that it at least brought us all together for once but for the wrong reasons.
I didn't mean to imply that everyone would agree with my analysis of the situation. If I gave that impression, I'm sorry. That wasn't my intention. BTW, only one L in melodrama.

As always, you're entitled to disagree. It's my pov. I hope not to lose any friends with what I consider an honest opinion

I will always respect anyone's right to voice their opinion even though I may vehemently disagree with it. I must however point out that to begin a post with the words "I think for once, everyone on the forum is in agreement." is making unfounded assumptions and will naturally antagonise other members before they even begin to read the rest.

I fully appreciate your anger and frustration, many of us share it, but to infer that the club is 'rotten to the core' (which is effectively what you implied) and you feel we all concur is a little 'excessive'. There are obviously internal problems at the moment and I would like to see more accountability for the current situation placed firmly on Poch's shoulders rather than allowing him to hide behind Levy's skirts...but that's as far as it goes with me.

You certainly have not lost me as a friend on here by the posting and if you honestly feel that way then that's fair enough, we move on.
:thumbup:
:coys:

EDIT
Just seen your last post above this....(I must have been still typing)......Grrrrrrrr !

What I was trying to point out is that everyone who has posted during and after the game was in agreement about the shambolic way we've been playing. Last games of last season and 2 out of 3 this season. What I actually said was that it at least brought us all together for once but for the wrong reasons.
I didn't mean to imply that everyone would agree with my analysis of the situation. If I gave that impression, I'm sorry. That wasn't my intention. BTW, only one L in melodrama.

(You didn't come across so unassuming, but fair enough... )

Much the same, pray tell, what do you think is happening though; you're painting with huge strokes without really saying a lot....

"We don't look like an EPL team"

- We aren't playing well, but we have still been - by route of attrition - meeting our immediate goals and then some.

"Nothing's being done about it behind the scenes"

- We managed to bag all our suggested primary transfer targets; it's now for the manager to make them work for him/us.

- Sure we've a couple of tricky contract negotiations at play (which I pre-empt you may also make mention of), but for years that's actually been something we've excelled over.

....By all means add further flesh to the bones, but that's really all you've articulated so far.

Genuine question? .....Do you have a recollection of where we were a mere five years ago? Do you understand how much growth the club has experienced in that time? (...Or similarly how low the club fell since the glory glory years of the 60s & 80s?) Rather than throwing everyone responsible for that growth to the proverbial wolves do you not think said regime (i.e. manager AND chairman) deserve the chance to steady the ship?

Again, I'm reminded about your prior meek representation of your grasp of the modern game; yet here you are all guns blazing about how shit everything is... If nothing else, without more detailed clarification of what you think is the problem and route cause is, your diatribe comes across as overzealous to put it mildly.

(You didn't come across so unassuming, but fair enough... )

Much the same, pray tell, what do you think is happening though; you're painting with huge strokes without really saying a lot....

"We don't look like an EPL team"

- We aren't playing well, but we have still been - by route of attrition - meeting our immediate goals and then some.

"Nothing's being done about it behind the scenes"

- We managed to bag all our suggested primary transfer targets; it's now for the manager to make them work for him/us.

- Sure we've a couple of tricky contract negotiations at play (which I pre-empt you may also make mention of), but for years that's actually been something we've excelled over.

....By all means add further flesh to the bones, but that's really all you've articulated so far.

Genuine question? .....Do you have a recollection of where we were a mere five years ago? Do you understand how much growth the club has experienced in that time? (...Or similarly how low the club fell since the glory glory years of the 60s & 80s?) Rather than throwing everyone responsible for that growth to the proverbial wolves do you not think said regime (i.e. manager AND chairman) deserve the chance to steady the ship?

Again, I'm reminded about your prior meek representation of your grasp of the modern game; yet here you are all guns blazing about how shit everything is... If nothing else, without more detailed clarification of what you think is the problem and route cause is, your diatribe comes across as overzealous to put it mildly.
I seem to have upset an awful lot of people with my tirade
I freely admit that I am a novice having missed out on many many years putting in long hours. Yes, you're right. I have previously said this but I didn't mean to come across as meek!!
I am fully prepared to say that almost everyone on this forum has been here longer and is much better informed. My ignorance is woeful but you'll have to bear with my occasional blow up. There's nowhere else to do it. At least here people understand where I'm coming from even if they vehemently disagree. In future, I'll take a few deep breaths and a glass of single malt and try to cut out the knee jerk reactions. Apologies for all the upset I've caused. I've crawled back into my hole and I'll keep my head down.

I seem to have upset an awful lot of people with my tirade
I freely admit that I am a novice having missed out on many many years putting in long hours. Yes, you're right. I have previously said this but I didn't mean to come across as meek!!

I don't mean "meek" in a derogatory nor condescending way... Forgive me, I'm just struggling for a better word.

I am fully prepared to say that almost everyone on this forum has been here longer and is much better informed.

I sense you been a fan longer than I... Fuck any sense of forum hierarchy. :)

My ignorance is woeful but you'll have to bear with my occasional blow up. There's nowhere else to do it. At least here people understand where I'm coming from even if they vehemently disagree. In future, I'll take a few deep breaths and a glass of single malt and try to cut out the knee jerk reactions. Apologies for all the upset I've caused. I've crawled back into my hole and I'll keep my head down.

I'm just one voice dude... You were correct; your right to express is no less than mine or anyone else's... My motivation here isn't to discourage you... I get that it's frusrating as a passionate supporter to feel one has so little influence.

Don't "crawl into a hole"... For what it's worth, vent if you must and then stick around for the ensuing debate IMO. There's some good perspective to be found round here and there are far leveller heads around here than I....

Last edited:
With regard to my so called 'mates' in North Wales the majority of which support Liverpool , I have now received 76 texts, six disgusting voicemail messages and about 20 Whatsapp images that really need passing on to the police....all in relation to this result.
I have sent each one a "Number not recognised...Fuck Off !!" response which for a split second makes me feel slightly better.
I'm afraid this is one that's going to drag on and on......... 😥 😥

I don't mean "meek" in derogatory nor condescending way... Forgive me, I'm just struggling for a better word.

I sense you been a fan longer than I... Fuck any sense of forum hierarchy. :)

I'm just one voice dude... You were correct; your right to express is no less than mine or anyone else's... My motivation here isn't to discourage you... I get that it's frusrating as a passionate supporter to feel one has so little influence.

Don't "crawl into a hole"... For what it's worth, vent if you must and then stick around for the ensuing debate IMO. There's some good perspective to be found round here and there are far leveller heads around here than I....
Thank you. Do I sense you have been in this position yourself?
I've been a fan since I was 6. I'm 63 now....When I started going, I used to stand behind the goal keeper, Bill Brown. Peter Baker, Ron Henry, etc etc....the great Greavsie years..the Hoddle years...Perryman et al..years before the start of football related violence. The game has changed so much, it's almost unrecognisable. Did you know that when Spurs were winning trophies in the 60's, Cliff Jones made his living from a butcher's shop on Tottenham High St?
I appreciate your kind words and the time you take to have written them Much appreciated. You treat me better than my scrub nurses do.....and they both support Woolwich. So I got it in the neck today as you can imagine. If we don't produce something next week, I'm not going in to work!!!!

With regard to my so called 'mates' in North Wales the majority of which support Liverpool , I have now received 76 texts, six disgusting voicemail messages and about 20 Whatsapp images that really need passing on to the police....all in relation to this result.
I have sent each one a "Number not recognised...Fuck Off !!" response which for a split second makes me feel slightly better.
I'm afraid this is one that's going to drag on and on......... 😥 😥
well....after we crush Woolwich on Saturday, you can send a few of your own!

Unless the backing music is played on a mellotron

We have seen this happen so many times, from the 'Arry years onwards, where we dominate teams that come here and park the train they arrived on, never mind the bus. A lot of them have no choice, but some get lucky and bag a goal because we are thin at the back, from throwing players in, trying to work through their defensive set up. Some teams crack and we beat them anyway.
Remember 9-1 v Wigan? They came the following year with a different game plan and beat us 1-0.
WE- LOST - GAME - OF - FOOTBALL, Not a war, no-one died, and we can still sort our shit out and go-on and do well.

Bolsonaro is burning down the worlds oxygen supply - that's a crisis. Some of the posts on here (out of the small % I have bothered to read) would have me believe that famine, war and pestilence will surely follow that result - end of days stuff.

Some people need to get some perspective.

I'm not going to read this thread as yesterday was painful enough. I'm not even going to comment on the game as the sooner I forget it, the better! In fact, the only good thing was the brisket burger before the game.
Just hope we can put it behind us and sort things out before next week.

We have seen this happen so many times, from the 'Arry years onwards, where we dominate teams that come here and park the train they arrived on, never mind the bus. A lot of them have no choice, but some get lucky and bag a goal because we are thin at the back, from throwing players in, trying to work through their defensive set up. Some teams crack and we beat them anyway.
Remember 9-1 v Wigan? They came the following year with a different game plan and beat us 1-0.
WE- LOST - GAME - OF - FOOTBALL, Not a war, no-one died, and we can still sort our shit out and go-on and do well.

Bolsonaro is burning down the worlds oxygen supply - that's a crisis. Some of the posts on here (out of the small % I have bothered to read) would have me believe that famine, war and pestilence will surely follow that result - end of days stuff.

None of us are saying that the match in any way compares to the suffering and pain currently going on around us in the world. Totally agree with your sentiment that all that happened was we lost a football game.
I think what was saddening with the performance is that we like to think that under Poch's tenure we have become better than that now. There has been gradual but continual improvement in the overall quality of the squad allowing us to enjoy a regular top four finish and last season a CL final appearance.

That result, but more importantly the manner in which it was inflicted, has brought us all back down to earth with a resounding bump. It's time for a bit of inner soul searching for both the manager and the players. How we bounce back from that defeat could well determine the rest of the season and Poch's future, I feel it's that critical.

The team needs to lick it's wounds and prepare for battle, another 'toothless tiger' show is simply not acceptable. It's always a huge game for any Spurs fan regardless of whether they've been a supporter for 5 or 50 years. I want the result to give the team and Poch some credibility back and I don't think that's too much to ask.

But this is a football forum, not some Save the World or CND forum.
Passions run high and for some of us our football team is a massive part of our lives.
I think it's you that needs to get some perspective.

None of us are saying that the match in any way compares to the suffering and pain currently going on around us in the world. Totally agree with your sentiment that all that happened was we lost a football game.
I think what was saddening with the performance is that we like to think that under Poch's tenure we have become better than that now. There has been gradual but continual improvement in the overall quality of the squad allowing us to enjoy a regular top four finish and last season a CL final appearance.

That result, but more importantly the manner in which it was inflicted, has brought us all back down to earth with a resounding bump. It's time for a bit of inner soul searching for both the manager and the players. How we bounce back from that defeat could well determine the rest of the season and Poch's future, I feel it's that critical.

The team needs to lick it's wounds and prepare for battle, another 'toothless tiger' show is simply not acceptable. It's always a huge game for any Spurs fan regardless of whether they've been a supporter for 5 or 50 years. I want the result to give the team and Poch some credibility back and I don't think that's too much to ask.
some people are posting vitriolic hogwash that suggests that they believe it to be

That would be me I think.......

Back
Top Bottom