Whats gone wrong?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Poch's not up to it / Years of under investment

• Poch not up to it

• Years of under investment

Results are only viewable after voting.
Should he swallow his pride and agree to work with a DoF? And by the way, John, I was fucking frothing over our lack of transfer activity.
Not sure about the style of play but I think he dictates that by what he has. I love poch BUT I accept he has flaws like with new signings, tactics & stubborness. But I do think if we had a bigger budget he would have got better signings like with mane who he really wanted. Yeah he would still have got some flops but who doesn't. Its a knock on effect with better quality players. Lots of the issues we have had don't happen as severly. Fatigue, players out of position, over reliance on players like Eriksen & kane, lack of competition, limited subs & changes etc

2 games in so not gonna lose my shit prematurely.

I've always thought of Poch as a massive over achiever given out budget, wage structure, Wembley factor etc. Unless that overachievement is rewarded with trophies and the complete trust from the board in terms of team investment, it will never be a long term state of affairs.
Probably the best post in the thread.

But I do think if we had a bigger budget he would have got better signings like with mane who he really wanted.
Look at the players we have spent big money on in recent years. Have you ever seen a central defender get rag dolled as much as Big Dav? Fuck knows what Poch would have saddled us with if he had more money to spend. More money is good, yes. His eye for a player is what alarms me.

The home atmosphere will never be anything like the away fans and I can accept that. I think the standing issue is a big one plus the type of fan who sits where they sit. At whl we could have a good back and forth with the oppo fans but now it’s just dead.

I am one that thinks the fans should do their part irregardless of the teams performance but I accept that in the uk that we don’t all agree on that.

Surley people want to get something out of their 50 quid even if it is just fun in the stands??

The atmosphere at Headingly today was something else. Never stopped believing even when all the experts and ex players in the commentary gave up on England.

Just goes to show what being positive can achieve.

Look at the players we have spent big money on in recent years. Have you ever seen a central defender get rag dolled as much as Big Dav? Fuck knows what Poch would have saddled us with if he had more money to spend. More money is good, yes. His eye for a player is what alarms me.
Maybe your right. But ndombele I think will be a success. Son, Toby, Lucas & wanyama were good signings. Trippier got a good profit sell on. But yeah he is hit & miss with transfers & Maybe needs someone else to take care of that. Or if he could spend more he might have a better rate of success.
I just feel you need to really back your manager or else your saying I don't trust you with this, so we aren't going to do this. Or compromise & say let's get someone we both want to do this & you stick with what your good at. Just feels like we are hearted at the moment with everything.

The other big problem is who do you get to take over that you would be confident in?

The other big problem is who do you get to take over that you would be confident in?
bus-conductor bus-conductor is probably your man there.
But yeah he is hit & miss with transfers & Maybe needs someone else to take care of that.
But wouldn't a DoF help to shift our deadwood and keep on top of player contracts, so that we don't end up with, say, 3 key players running their contracts down?

bus-conductor bus-conductor is probably your man there.

But wouldn't a DoF help to shift our deadwood and keep on top of player contracts, so that we don't end up with, say, 3 key players running their contracts down?
Yeah it probably would. Maybe comes back down to his stubborness. Or he could be right & DOF would make things worse & more messy & cloudy.

Conversely, I put the sole blame on Eriksen. He has essentially been a consistent starter in our team since he joined us and he makes this team tick. Had Eriksen started today, we would have won but I understand why he wasn’t picked. What he said after last season has clearly had an effect on the team and the manager. Poch knows Eriksen is the most important person in this team and the thought of him leaving has obviously effected him. I’ll have to check the stats but doesn’t he have the most chances created, assists and average distance per team in our team for the last three years...not sure where I heard that.

Conversely, I put the sole blame on Eriksen. He has essentially been a consistent starter in our team since he joined us and he makes this team tick. Had Eriksen started today, we would have won but I understand why he wasn’t picked. What he said after last season has clearly had an effect on the team and the manager. Poch knows Eriksen is the most important person in this team and the thought of him leaving has obviously effected him. I’ll have to check the stats but doesn’t he have the most chances created, assists and average distance per team in our team for the last three years...not sure where I heard that.
Although we're not just talking about the last 3 games, we're talking about our alarming slump in form since Burnley away in February

Although we're not just talking about the last 3 games, we're talking about our alarming slump in form since Burnley away in February
I put the blame on our slump from last season more so on injuries, lack of squad depth and our team looking exhausted due to the aforementioned items and the fact a lot of our squad hadn’t much time off the summer before. I think the issues in the first three games is something different in my opinion.

I think we all need to take a step back and re-evaluate where we are, Poch included. He’s been at the club for 5 years so he might have a lot of thoughts going through his.....

But you keep overlooking the fact of our record under the current ownership.
If 9 managers and 1 league cup doesn't suggest a deeper lying issue then nothing ever will.
If Poch ain't up to the job, what makes you so sure Levy's next appointment will be?
I'm not looking for an argument. I'm honestly interested in where you're blind faith in Levy finally getting the right man comes from.
Because this is the best squad in 30 years

Based on the last 16 league games we'd be 17th in the table.

Either Poch's not up to it or we're paying for years of under investment in the squad.

Which is it?
I like Poch but I’m really worried that he has run out of ideas.
His team selection today was beyond dreadful.
Lamela should not have started,he is awful.
From what I have seen of him since he signed with us he wouldn’t start with ANY club in the Premiership.
Sanchez was horrible today. Why is he starting of Vertonghen?Rose and Walker Peters were awful.
Harry looked like the invisible Man not that he got much service. Winks starting over Erickson?
Nothing makes sense in his team selection.
Also telling everyone not to expect much from our new signings?????What the f@ck!
Why would you spend tens of millions on them if that is the expectation?
I’m starting to get the feeling that he has run out of ideas and he just not may be the manager to get us to the next level.

I think the expectation level of our fans is all over the place.
Some think we are plucky Tottenham consistently over achieving under Poch (despite zero trophies in his tenure)
Others like myself get the sense we've gone as far as we can under him, and can see that we are no longer getting the best out of the players we have.
And its frustrating when you see teams that we were miles better than two seasons ago like LIverpool, totally overtake us and leave us in the rear view mirror.

When fit our starting XI should always be this:

Lloris
Aurier
Alderweireld
Vertonghen
Rose
Winks
Ndombele
Eriksen
Lo Celso
Dele/Son/Lucas
Kane

KWP, Sanchez, Sissoko, Lamela & one of either Lucas or Son simply aren't top 4 starting material no matter how much we fluff it up. They are fine squad players but our strongest XI is the one I've listed above and today we saw 6 players starting a PL game that should be rotation/ backup or cup players.

When fit, play Lloris, Aurier, Alderweireld, Vertonghen, Rose, Winks, Ndombele, Eriksen, Lo Celso, Dele & Kane. 3 of these players were available and on the bench today and for me they should have been playing. Lord knows where Serge has gone as he was on the bench for the opening match vs Villa.

60% of our outfield team would be benched for a final in my eyes, ultimately if you take 6 of Man City's, Barcelona's or Liverpool's starting XI cracks would appear. Not excusing it but we went one nil down yet again and that's happened too many times. Inevitably it will bite you in the arse, especially with half your team being second string.

Based on the last 16 league games we'd be 17th in the table.

Either Poch's not up to it or we're paying for years of under investment in the squad.

Which is it?
Shocking statistic and not denying there's problems.

But a lot of those games we would have won IMO if we were not concentrating on the CL. And the statistic glosses over the Ajax and Man City victories (and possibly Dortmund if it goes back far enough).

Back
Top Bottom