Whats gone wrong?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Poch's not up to it / Years of under investment

• Poch not up to it

• Years of under investment

Results are only viewable after voting.
Well, that was fucking turgid, inept and boring. Lack of imagination / energy? That surely is the managers fault?

There is something wrong with our team, which the CL heroics managed to gloss over.

No impetus from the off to batter our way to an early goal.
Poor defending for their goal - which everyone in the stadium knows they’ll hang on to with their lives.
Questionable formation and tactics
Slow to react
Strange treatment of star players / good servants

At some stage Poch has to look at himself and his coaches. Levy isn’t perfect and we are all frustrated by him at times but he appears to have given MP the players he wants and sold those he doesn’t.

This isn’t a one off and we saw enough of it last year. We just about won v Villa through persistence and pressure and got lucky v City. Found out today.

I understand that completely but refusing to work with a DOF was likely down to the fact he wanted more control and can we really say he has been given more control? Truly? He was backed this window in regards to getting his signings but previous windows?

All I am saying is, I don't think it's all the managers fault.
No, it is not all his fault, but he is out of his depth in terms of player recruitment and squad management.

Today has nothing to do with what I think of this because losses like this can happen anytime, I love Poch but unfortunately some love stories come to an end. Sometimes managers get found out or run out of ideas and things go stale. It happened to Klopp at Dortmund, to Favre at Gladbach, to Guardiola at Bayern and so on. I feel that Poch has ran out of ideas and last season was proof for it. We’ve gone from one of the best attacking side in the country to boring, winning through individual effort rather than team work.

I really really really hope Poch can find the right balance again in our team and get it firing, but I have my doubts and concerns over this.

Sadly, this seems to be the case. Love Poch, but what happens on the pitch and on the scoreboard are what ultimately matters.

Not the team I'm referring to I mean Liverpool have more global appeal that's why they are more attractive plus he is a better manager who makes less mistakes than poch does.

They have historic appeal but back then the likes of Dempsey and Siguardson were turning them down fir us. The point is that we are a hugely attractive option for most managers

Don't forget point.

moussa_sissoko_of_tottenham_during_the_premier_league_match_betw_970376.jpg

Funny enough that Sissoko created 2 of the best chances after being moved to RB

He picks the team and the tactics. Our current form (2019) is down to him, nobody else. I also think he may have 'lost the dressing room. Something seems to be off..
Maybe. Think he is over achieving with the squad he has got. Don't think it's as good as a lot of people think.

But we didn't buy for two fucking windows we simply had to spend top managers want top prizes which we simply can't deliver on.
in the last 5 years we have a higher net spend than liverpool

not only that, they have had a minimal spend in the last window. a couple of under 18 prospects and a free agent keeper

in the last 5 years we have a higher net spend than liverpool

not only that, they have had a minimal spend in the last window. a couple of under 18 prospects and a free agent keeper
But they have s style of play that devestates even the best team's they are CL winner's and stand a great chance of winning the league this year none of which apply to us.

Lots of analysis I don´t agree with in this thread - "we lost because of tactics" being one. We lost this game because of stunning lacking technical ability. An enormous amount of our passes were off line with the wrong weight destroying the fluidity in our game. Pass, pass, wayward pass, scramble - start again on repeat ad nauseam.

As to why this was so I don´t really know.

Does Poch do pre season double sessions until september again ?
Is the pitch far worse than it looks ?
Are the players just motorically challenged ?

We have one of the best squads we've ever had. Despite that, we didn't deserve to beat Villa, didn't deserve the draw against City and deserved to lose today.

The players look lethargic and lost, many of them standing still or walking. We win games due to individual brilliance, luck or mistakes. Many of our players seem ball-greedy; Too many touches, not passing into space, trying to dribble like Messi and no movement off the ball.

When you watch City or Liverpool the ball transitions smoothly up the pitch, the ball does the moving because the players are already in position or moving into it. With us the players do the running while dribbling, only to make a 5 yard pass and then stand still. It's stilted and stagnant.

We barely press any more and the players didn't even look tired at the final whistle because of how little movement there was, Kane and Moura especially.

This was a must win game. Beat Newcastle and suddenly Woolwich, United and Chelsea are under pressure. The Woolwich game next week becomes less important and the players can relax. Instead we're now the ones under pressure - if we lose next week we will be 5 points behind Woolwich already and stuck in the lower half of the table, playing catch up.

We lost today because of tactics, not because of our lack of signings. Despite that there are obviously huge holes in the squad. I feel like we never replaced Modric who left 7 years ago and we haven't really had a ball playing CM since, maybe Mousa but he wasn't the same level. Instead we've depended on Eriksen to do it, whilst also being an AM. After a performance like today Kane should be dropped, but there's no one to replace so he won't be. We can't scout a striker to save our lives, Saldado, Janssen and Llorente were nowhere near good enough.

I agree with this, although I am inclined to describe it as our playing style is broken.

We were never a great passing team but our passing has gone backwards, the forwards don’t move for the midfielders and the midfielders are not picking out the forwards.

We seem very stationary and that’s very easy for teams that park the bus.

Mourinho, Simeone and fucking Eddie Howe.... You lot are on glue ffs lol

The only serious suggestion Simeone seems to be a popular choice for people who mustnt watch his team play-shitehouse football and cuntery - do people really want to see that going forward for spurs?? Thats not tottenham to me

Back
Top Bottom