Var poll yay or nay

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Do you want VAR in the game?

• Yes

Votes: 90 56.6%
  • No

Votes: 69 43.4%

• Total voters
It’s the fan spectacle that becomes vulnerable. We’ll get to a situation where goals simply aren’t celebrated, because we’ll all be all too familiar with a VAR decision pissing on our premature jubilation.

It’s also hardly ensuring fairness. The Sheik Mansour team could easily decide to bribe officials in the VAR team to swing a decision in their favour based on some tiny technical infringement that took place 20 minutes earlier.

At the very least there needs to be a time limit. A decision within 30 seconds or the initial decision stands.

The disallowed goal v City was technically the correct decision. It was in our favour and I’m happy with that. But the long-term effect it has on the fan experience concerns me.

I’ve seen the “fans wont celebrate goals argument” several times now. It’s utterly preposterous. I’ll give $20 to everybody on this forum if fans suddenly stop celebrating goals.

But as bad as that argument is, the bribery argument may be the single most ridiculous idea posted on an Internet forum. Sure, the VAR official can be bribed. As can the referee. As can the assistant referee. As can one of the players. Certainly bribing any of those would be more effective than bribing the VAR official.

You doing drugs now ??

Yes, the drug is known as 'look at me, I just wrote an article which I hope I spell checked'.
[/QUOTE]
Unfortunately there are three types....weather vane, needle in the vein and the one you wanted...all in vain. The wonders of the English language.....then there's bloody Welsh :roflmao:

Last edited:
The Premier League's implementation of VAR has been nothing short of a disgrace. They've in effect created a situation where the match is refereed by two different officials, which is creating a dissolution of responsibility. And what you get in that situation is inaction and you're going to see blatant penalties not given and blatant howlers not corrected.

Said at the back end of last season, when everyone was saying Liverpools luck will run out with VAR as they'll stop getting penalties, that it won't make a difference because the referee and whoever is in charge of VAR still have to view and give their decision.

In two Premier League games today, no penalties were given, yet two should have been.

If only there was a video assistant referee that'd make sure the right decisions were given..

The Premier League's implementation of VAR has been nothing short of a disgrace. They've in effect created a situation where the match is refereed by two different officials, which is creating a dissolution of responsibility. And what you get in that situation is inaction and you're going to see blatant penalties not given and blatant howlers not corrected.

VAR needs to be used to help referees make the correct decision instead of giving the governing bodies further power to overprotect refs from making terrible decisions and not being made to justify them.

The sooner everyone says “refs are human, we’re here to help” then VAR as a concept works. Right now it’s sort of “unless we’re unable to get away with it, we’ll agree with you”

Exactly, it's now a case of if in doubt don't give it as VAR will bail me out.
However the VAR ref doesn't like to contradict the on pitch ref meaning no proper decision is made!!

Back
Top Bottom