Tottenham v Newcastle (Sunday 25 August 16.30)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Sitting here feeling like I'm at a wake. It's got to be said. In my extremely humble opinion, the blame lies fairly and squarely on Poch. He may be great at getting the best out of young players but this shit we're watching is down to him. He leaves great players on the bench, plays 2nd stringers and clearly has no tactical vision whatsoever. Leaving out Verts and CE, playing that lumbering idiot, Sanchez......it's been going on for 2 years and shows no sign of changing. He also allows personal feelings to influence his team choices. O-1 down to The Barcodes. How is that possible? In the run up to this game, I was one of the more circumspect people, not predicting huge wins and lots of goals. I didn't say anything because I didn't want my head bitten off by all and sundry but this has gone on long enough. We should be looking at Poch with a much more critical eye and asking ourselves some very uncomfortable questions.

I'm not a football manager or claim to be an expert tactician, but you only need to watch Manchester City or Liverpool a couple of times to understand how these two counteract deep sitting defences... get pacy guys (Sterling, Mane, Bernardo Silva, Sane etc) overlapping on the edge of the box running past the static defenders to either shoot and cross to a forward running in. We just stand around a packed penalty area somehow expecting - or simply hoping - that the ball will find its way through a million pairs of legs to give us a shooting opportunity. So fucking naive.

Why has Winks been poor. He's been the only one out there who's done what he's supposed to be doing.

Because he has no attacking bones in his body. You could replace him with a wall most of the time; Toby passes to Winks, the ball bounces back to Toby. Most of what he does is negative or seems largely pointless, he doesn't play long balls, through balls, spread the ball, his passing range seems to be limited to 10 yards and he isn't great defensively.

He needs to be far more aggressive and offensive in these type of games imo. I think Sissoki has no idea what he's suppose to do as a CM this year, he's just standing around and following KWP like a lost puppy.

I’ll have to look at it again but dav so often does neither of stepping up for offside or sticking tight and going

Toby and jan knows this part inside out and back to front
It also helps that Jan literally screams instructions to the other defenders for the entire game when he plays. He leads the line which none of our other defenders do. Toby as the senior defender should be giving Davinson instructions as soon as he drifts out of position.

I think Toby is so focused on being a 1 on 1 defender that he forgets that he has a partner that he needs to look out for. Which works with Jan who is the one in control of the duo.

Hey, at least sammyspurs sammyspurs is happy about our game. I'm looking forward to this coming week with all his positive posts

I think the tempo is good, the idea is good and it’s the first time we’ve played this team, so for me some decent early signs.

I’d like to see Lo Celso come on later, but feel we’ve got this game.

Love the aggression and press, and don’t know how anyone can say we are slow today.
I can take losing, I can’t take a team littered with half hearted passengers though.

So far hats off to Poch for me. Big statement and more of the old way with relentless forward play and closing down.

But knock yourselves out......suddenly being a negative cunt is cool because Eriksen isn’t playing

Quicker we can get Lo Celso more minutes and more game time the better. Quicker he's up to scratch the less it becomes a statement of "Eriksen or bust"

Poch needs to understand its about playing the best players for the match and not about who may or may not leave,
he needs to get Eriksen on he is the only player we have that can see a pass
and if Lamala is the answer I worry about what the question is

Here's an idea. See that thing that didn't work? Don't do it.
Like how on earth do we all know they are going to break on us and you still get caught out by it?

It also helps that Jan literally screams instructions to the other defenders for the entire game when he plays. He leads the line which none of our other defenders do. Toby as the senior defender should be giving Davinson instructions as soon as he drifts out of position.

I think Toby is so focused on being a 1 on 1 defender that he forgets that he has a partner that he needs to look out for. Which works with Jan who is the one in control of the duo.
Absolutely

Back
Top Bottom