Tottenham v Newcastle (Sunday 25 August 16.30)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Do not agree with this line up. We will need the squad when playing 2 matches a week and need to get more players up to match fitness. Vertonghen, Davies & Dier need playing time and this was the match to give it to them. Also thought he would learn after the Villa match we need Eriksen to unlock a parking the bus team. Hope I am wrong but can see us failing to score in first hour.

Do not agree with this line up. We will need the squad when playing 2 matches a week and need to get more players up to match fitness. Vertonghen, Davies & Dier need playing time and this was the match to give it to them. Also thought he would learn after the Villa match we need Eriksen to unlock a parking the bus team. Hope I am wrong but can see us failing to score in first hour.

Looks like he has learnt from the Villa game.

No diamond.
No Sissoko on the wing.

Let's not go back into this "Eriksen changing the game when he came on" narrative.

WE HAVE NO DEPTH.

*Eriksen and Vertonghen on the bench*

FFS. ERIKSEN AND VERTONGHEN ON THE BENCH!?

:pocheyes:

Some 60m schmuck called Giovanni too.

Cue: Ray Houghton cunting off our squad for lack of goalscorers aside from Kane as I type. :pochfacepalm:

Can we please have Vertonghen back in the fucking lineup Poch!? What the hell is going on there.

Poch has said that Vertonghen is not as fit as he needs to be.

Meanwhile a CB partnership of Alderweireld and Sanchez isn't too shabby. and going forward our squad is good enough and deep enough for many players to be rotated.

Can we please have Vertonghen back in the fucking lineup Poch!? What the hell is going on there.

To be fair, it's not like our defence has been absolutely shit for the first two games. I get people are scared about his situation but anyone would think we've just got beat 5-0, 5-0. Although Jan is good some forget he is 32 and coming to the end of his career, fitness and weight are going to be problems.

Sanchez and Alderweireld deserve to be our centre back pairing going forward. Solid against Villa (let the least amount of shots on goal from any defensive pairing all that weekend) and put in a resolute display against City with Sanchez putting in a MOTM performance.

It doesn't send a good message when Vertonghen comes in and replaces one of them, just because of his name. There is a reason he's not making the team and he needs to make sure when he finally gets his chance, he takes it.

Eriksen dropped, just as I posted a few days ago. You can't play absolutely shit and keep your spot when other players deserve it more.
People were crying towards the end of the last season that the likes of Eriksen and Dele have their first 11 spots secured despite playing like shit and were asking when will they be dropped and that Poch has no balls.

Now this happened and it’s still not good. Lol.

No diamond.
No Sissoko on the wing.

I pray it's not that his hand has been forced by Ndomble asbsence.

Houghton update: Spurs need to identify squad weaknesses and spend like Liverpool did on VVD. FFS! ....Did I imagine us blowng a combined 120m+ on our midfield this summer? ...These cunts get PAID for this tripe! :avbfu::avbfu::avbfu:

Last edited:
Son staring. Shocking. Mad house for a few here I reckon. Lol
It didn't really matter to me if he started or came in for 30 min today. But you just can't be so blind not being able to recognise what Son brings and represent for the club

Fair point on both Davies and Dier, but both have just returned from injury. Maybe Poch wants to get them playing by coming on as sub, but after international break is wgphen full rotation might come!

Eriksen future still not settled so mind not fully on things, and Lamela has started well this season so think Eriksen cons on later and maybe Lo Celso too to freshen up forward line in 2nd half

So some people like the lineup and some don't .....who would be a football manager!
Sonny fans out in force today, haven't seen them for a while, wonder why that is ??!!?!?!

Sanchez and Alderweireld deserve to be our centre back pairing going forward. Solid against Villa (let the least amount of shots on goal from any defensive pairing all that weekend) and put in a resolute display against City with Sanchez putting in a MOTM performance.

It doesn't send a good message when Vertonghen comes in and replaces one of them, just because of his name. There is a reason he's not making the team and he needs to make sure when he finally gets his chance, he takes it.
Yet if one of them is injured he has to play a NLD having not played a game this season. Players should not be upset at missing this match but if they miss a NLD they clearly are not in first 11.

The future is what's happening....

I love Vert(*), but even the greatest are phased out eventually.

If Toby is ready to re-sign it makes all the more sense given Jan's age that it's he that gives up game-time for Sanchez.

gray.jpg

Roy Orbinson????

Yet if one of them is injured he has to play a NLD having not played a game this season. Players should not be upset at missing this match but if they miss a NLD they clearly are not in first 11.

If one of our centre halves get injured and Vertonghen isn't fit enough to start a NLD - then Pochs decisions not to start him this season are justified surely?

Surely, you wouldn't moan if Vertonghen ended up starting a NLD? I mean that's what you want, right? Vertonghen back in the starting line up?

Stop talking in hypotheticals. Vertonghen isn't in the team because he was garbage in pre-season, probably isn't fit enough (As Poch has alluded to) and Poch wants a settled defence. It's not rocket science.

No diamond.
No Sissoko on the wing.

Let's not go back into this "Eriksen changing the game when he came on" narrative.

I really think this lineup will work very well if Son and Luca are providing the width when the ball is on their side of the pitch.

But if they both are tucked inside with Rose and KWP out wide, Son and Lucas will crowd Kane/Lamela and our attack will look static

IMO his best position is as a forward. False 9 or whatever. Always aggressive in the box and a clinical finisher.

In midfield he makes stupid decisions and slows down the game with too many touches.

I think he'd be mustard as RWF in a 433.....

I fear we'll never found out.

Back
Top Bottom