New Stadium

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Also reflects that the UK has an ageing population.

Not as bad as say Germany where despite immigration the working age population is forecast to drop by 40% to 6m over the next 20 years.

But currently the UK has circa 20% of the population of over 60 which will increase to 25% over the next 15 years or so.

The US has somewhat better demographics, but it's suffering some of the same graying (and indeed emptying) of in-person support for its legacy sports. Surprise surprise, decades of warnings about pricing young people and working class people out of their passion for the game were right all along!

A notable exception is soccer, which is (for the moment) quite a bit cheaper. Imagine that.

Maybe more indicative that young people cannot afford to go to football in great numbers. Your @verage 21 yr old working in a factory couldn’t afford a regular visit to Spurs. Hence the lack of atmosphere in many grounds

a regular visit to Spurs.

Plenty on here who see no issue with ticket prices.
Surprisingly enough usually the same people who don’t go every other week.

Go figure.

Not sure if this is common knowledge or not, shoot me if is.
The new White Hart Lane station will be opening this Sunday.

Text from the club this morning:

‘We are expecting a number of cancellations pre and post match on the London Overground today. Please check before travelling and avoid using WHL if possible.’

:sonlol::eriksenlol:

This post is so indicative of our, and indeed football's, ageing support.
More indicative of women going to the games. My wife did not come with me when younger and it was different standing on the terraces and the higher possibility of trouble. Whilst her support is not at my level she will be watching with me on Sky this afternoon. Whilst I will still go on my own it is more pleasant to have company. I am not that unfit that I could not stand for the game. On my visits to watch Spurs at Wembley it was very noticeable that many more women and children go to the game nowadays. The answer is different areas for standing but until the law changes, the club cannot treat different areas differently. As I said it is very difficult to satisfy everyone.

It’s common sense.

My old man is nearly 80, used to have a ST with me , shelf lower and upper, he would stand when we were on the attack then have to sit down. Where we were that was pretty much the routine which was fine for him.

If and when he goes to the new ground we will only get seats where you sit all game, when I go with my boys we don’t care where we sit.

It’s pretty simple really.

Text from the club this morning:

‘We are expecting a number of cancellations pre and post match on the London Overground today. Please check before travelling and avoid using WHL if possible.’

:sonlol::eriksenlol:
The Enfield trains are running but the Cheshunt trains aren't for some reason.

More indicative of women going to the games. My wife did not come with me when younger and it was different standing on the terraces and the higher possibility of trouble. Whilst her support is not at my level she will be watching with me on Sky this afternoon. Whilst I will still go on my own it is more pleasant to have company. I am not that unfit that I could not stand for the game. On my visits to watch Spurs at Wembley it was very noticeable that many more women and children go to the game nowadays. The answer is different areas for standing but until the law changes, the club cannot treat different areas differently. As I said it is very difficult to satisfy everyone.
There is no offence which states a human being is breaking the law by standing in a football ground.

Last edited:
Maybe more indicative that young people cannot afford to go to football in great numbers. Your @verage 21 yr old working in a factory couldn’t afford a regular visit to Spurs. Hence the lack of atmosphere in many grounds

a regular visit to Spurs.

I'm 28, been on the waiting list for a ST since I was 18 but would probably turn it down if offered. £1k+ with travel from where I live being £30-40 per trip, plus food and drink, looking at around maybe £4k per season after cup matches. Even if times were good (self employed), I'm not sure I'd even want to spend that sort of money on Spurs anymore. When I was 19-21 I was spending everything I had on Spurs, home and away, tickets were a lot easier to get as well but as you get older and priorities change, I'm at that awkward age where I still need to buy a house and don't have the disposable income to do everything I'd like.

Obviously when I go now compared to 10 years ago, the atmosphere is so, so different. It seems to be much more of a middle class day out these days, families, older people, no real atmosphere, people making you feel bad for standing up etc. It's horrible because you forget how bad it is until you go again and wonder why you spend so much money in an increasingly more uncomfortable environment (for those that want to stand and sing).

I'm 28, been on the waiting list for a ST since I was 18 but would probably turn it down if offered. £1k+ with travel from where I live being £30-40 per trip, plus food and drink, looking at around maybe £4k per season after cup matches. Even if times were good (self employed), I'm not sure I'd even want to spend that sort of money on Spurs anymore. When I was 19-21 I was spending everything I had on Spurs, home and away, tickets were a lot easier to get as well but as you get older and priorities change, I'm at that awkward age where I still need to buy a house and don't have the disposable income to do everything I'd like.

Obviously when I go now compared to 10 years ago, the atmosphere is so, so different. It seems to be much more of a middle class day out these days, families, older people, no real atmosphere, people making you feel bad for standing up etc. It's horrible because you forget how bad it is until you go again and wonder why you spend so much money in an increasingly more uncomfortable environment (for those that want to stand and sing).
Mate you have just summarised the main problems with the pricing of the new stadium. It's to expensive and it has priced out people in their teens and 20s. I'm 34 and feel like one of the youngest in the South Stand FFS. Old Skool fans are important as they help the younger generation to learn the Tottenham way but you also need groups of young people going with there mates to generate atmosphere. Most young people at the games seem like they are with there family. In the long term the atmosphere of the stadium will suffer massively. We are going the same way as the gooner shit hole. You will get alot of.normal fans priced out and replaced by tourists. The fans who do go will feel bitter about the prices/shitty atmosphere and as soon as form goes down will take it out on the team.

Mate you have just summarised the main problems with the pricing of the new stadium. It's to expensive and it has priced out people in their teens and 20s. I'm 34 and feel like one of the youngest in the South Stand FFS. Old Skool fans are important as they help the younger generation to learn the Tottenham way but you also need groups of young people going with there mates to generate atmosphere. Most young people at the games seem like they are with there family. In the long term the atmosphere of the stadium will suffer massively. We are going the same way as the gooner shit hole. You will get alot of.normal fans priced out and replaced by tourists. The fans who do go will feel bitter about the prices/shitty atmosphere and as soon as form goes down will take it out on the team.
Problem with the pricing is that you can get away with it in London. And the club obviously know this. Judging by the attendance a lot of ST holders gave it a miss yesterday. Lots of tickets on the exchange. All season tickets sold again.
If these prices were in Liverpool there would be a revolution. Unfortunately our football sold its soul to money many years ago.
I see Yeovil are asking £21 today for a seat for their National League game today. They’re all at it.

Problem with the pricing is that you can get away with it in London. And the club obviously know this. Judging by the attendance a lot of ST holders gave it a miss yesterday. Lots of tickets on the exchange. All season tickets sold again.
If these prices were in Liverpool there would be a revolution. Unfortunately our football sold its soul to money many years ago.
I see Yeovil are asking £21 today for a seat for their National League game today. They’re all at it.
I was not at the game yesterday as I'm on holiday at the moment. Were there lots of empty seats?

I was not at the game yesterday as I'm on holiday at the moment. Were there lots of empty seats?
There were loads on 85 minutes!!!!

Official attendance was around the 59k Mark, so there must've been a few 1000 who didn't show... understandable seeing as it's still the Summer hols...

Still, 59,000+ moans & groans still sounds awful!

Back
Top Bottom