Harry Winks

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Is it possible the substitution of Winks is a planned event to gradually introduce him back into full fitness after his injury problems last season.

Most likely.

He definitely picked up a slight knock against Villa and it was probably the reason he was subbed.

There's no reason or excuse to sub Winks off over Sissoko besides fitness.

Is it possible the substitution of Winks is a planned event to gradually introduce him back into full fitness after his injury problems last season.
Doubt it. In both games we were losing matches when he was playing. A more attacking player was subbed in to help us get a goal and a safety first player was taken off.

If we were 3 goals ahead , winks would be left on to keep the clock ticking with his non-risk passes and an attacking player would have been taken off for a more defensive one.

Sissoko isn't known for his passing ability. I never said he was better at it than Winks.
If you look at the 3, you're going to pretty much write Sissoko and Ndombele off as passers and think of them as ball winners and dribblers.
Winks is the one you want making the passes out, forwards and quickly.
And as you just pointed out, 17 of 44 passes in a forward direction is just over 1 in 3. That's dismal.
It doesn't take Eriksen being a top player to change that game, it just takes the ball moving faster and in the right direction more often.
I don't think Winks is a bad player, and I don't think he should be benched either.
I just hope Poch is picking up on this and is coaching him to play more passes in the right direction.

Going back to your stats, is there any way to show how far on average the passes were? IE, 5 yards, 10 yards, 20 yards?
I'd like to see how many ambitious passes he made vs safety first passes.

Are you saying that you don't think of Ndombele as a passer? If so you need to actually watch him, that is the best part of his game. Dangerous, forward passes.

Most likely.

He definitely picked up a slight knock against Villa and it was probably the reason he was subbed.

There's no reason or excuse to sub Winks off over Sissoko besides fitness.

I agree, but I think Poch sees Sissoko as this tireless cover for his fbs and thus prefers him over Winks. But against city there were multiple times he seemed winded and lacked that drive that won people over last year.

I agree, but I think Poch sees Sissoko as this tireless cover for his fbs and thus prefers him over Winks. But against city there were multiple times he seemed winded and lacked that drive that won people over last year.

If only Sissoko covered his fullbacks tirelessly at the weekend.

If only Sissoko covered his fullbacks tirelessly at the weekend.

"But against city there were multiple times he seemed winded and lacked that drive that won people over last year. "

:pochserious:

Time becomes a loop, becomes a loop, becomes a loop....

"But against city there were multiple times he seemed winded and lacked that drive that won people over last year. "

:pochserious:

Time becomes a loop, becomes a loop, becomes a loop....

Ah - for some reason, I thought he was talking about Winks.

Then I agree. We got lazy Sissoko back!

Ah - for some reason, I thought he was talking about Winks.

Then I agree. We got lazy Sissoko back!

"Winded" doesn't = lazy.

Just like physically incapable didn't equate to Wanyama being "lazy" when you were critiquing him the last couple of years.

It's mind boggling. And any time we do play a system with wideish players, he often puts Sissoko or Eriksen there for some bizarre reason.

I was so confused when this happened against Villa, Sissoko was out wide attacking... Then he proceeded to put in a number of the worst crosses and shots on goal I've seen from him. He looked just as confused in those positions as I was and I wish I could understand why he was there.

I was so confused when this happened against Villa, Sissoko was out wide attacking... Then he proceeded to put in a number of the worst crosses and shots on goal I've seen from him. He looked just as confused in those positions as I was and I wish I could understand why he was there.
One of the most painful things about watching Sissoko is how acutely aware he is of his limited technical skills, which results in him taking an age to think about even the most simple things on the football pitch before he executes them. Because of this, putting him out wide where he actually has to do skilful things is an absolute disaster, rather than the middle where he can just use his power to burst past fellas and lay it off.

He spent 60 minutes passing sideways and backwards against villa. As soon as he came off , more balls went forward and forward quickly.
It’s the same in most games he plays unfortunately

With Ndombele injured he’ll probably start again - poor show

Nothing player who should be nowhere the first 11. Just passes sideways like a mindless robot. Poch is fucking up big time persisting with him

Had never really been that opinionated on Winks pre-today but I think I'd rather keep Eriksen and play him deeper (and some of you know my feelings on Eriksen which says a lot). I just don't really see what Winks offers. Maybe we should re-sign Bentaleb.

Winks isn’t to be played against teams like Newcastle. He’s useless when we’re chasing a goal. If KWP hadn’t gotten a knock, he should have been taken off.

Just a brexit elneny

Back
Top Bottom