Tottenham v Newcastle (Sunday 25 August 16.30)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Geez... ESPN here in the states says,

Woolwich will become kings of north London again
What was all the fuss about a power shift in north London? Woolwich are back in the driver's seat and there to stay, with the Premier League's most lethal centre-forward double-act (Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang and Alexandre Lacazette) backed up by a balanced, energetic midfield and a bolstered back line.
Unai Emery has turned his side from stodgy to sleek, introducing the excellent Real Madrid loanee Dani Ceballos -- whose tenacity set up Aubameyang's winner against Burnley -- and showing faith in exciting homegrown midfielder Joe Willock.
It has given them a shot of energy that will surely create more chances for Aubameyang, who already has two goals to his name, and Lacazette. Given that £72m summer signing Nicolas Pepe is still being eased in, not to mention the fact that attacking left-back Kieran Tierney is still returning to fitness, Woolwich will only become more potent -- and the two-point gap they have already established over Spurs, whose attacking depth still seems light, will prove crucial by the end of the campaign.

Do they even... I mean.... what? They beat Newcastle by 1 goal and Burnley by 1 goal at home, and they're talking about a two point gap after 2 matches, and one of our matches has been away at the Etihad. What are they paying these writers for?

38jz4e.jpg

What was all the fuss about a power shift in north London? Woolwich are back in the driver's seat and there to stay, with the Premier League's most lethal centre-forward double-act (Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang and Alexandre Lacazette) backed up by a balanced, energetic midfield and a bolstered back line.
Unai Emery has turned his side from stodgy to sleek, introducing the excellent Real Madrid loanee Dani Ceballos -- whose tenacity set up Aubameyang's winner against Burnley -- and showing faith in exciting homegrown midfielder Joe Willock.
It has given them a shot of energy that will surely create more chances for Aubameyang, who already has two goals to his name, and Lacazette. Given that £72m summer signing Nicolas Pepe is still being eased in, not to mention the fact that attacking left-back Kieran Tierney is still returning to fitness, Woolwich will only become more potent -- and the two-point gap they have already established over Spurs, whose attacking depth still seems light, will prove crucial by the end of the campaign.

Do they even... I mean.... what? They beat Newcastle by 1 goal and Burnley by 1 goal at home, and they're talking about a two point gap after 2 matches, and one of our matches has been away at the Etihad. What are they paying these writers for?
They were fuckin awful against Newcastle

It still sucks and is ridiculous, but that ESPN piece is supposed to be taken a little tongue in cheek. It's part of a feature they call "overreactions" and includes that Burnley will make Europa.

I'm pretty sure no one's said it, but I'm pretty sure everyone's thinking it.

A Tottenham 'home banker' off the back of two decent results?

Nar, it's fine...

CornyFarflungFlatcoatretriever-size_restricted.gif

At some point we will batter an opponent.

Will be very interesting to see if Son is brought straight into the team. I feel that this season he may take up the mantle as the main man.

Last edited:
Can’t see poch going for that though, and to think he is paid all that money to pick the team, they should just do a poll on here and let us choose! :pochlol:
I've often thought that. Why for once don't they put team selection in the hands of the supporters. Voting for players in the first team line up. If the team win, great. If they get stuffed, it would shut us up. What could go wrong? Are you listening DL and Loch ?

I've often thought that. Why for once don't they put team selection in the hands of the supporters. Voting for players in the first team line up. If the team win, great. If they get stuffed, it would shut us up. What could go wrong? Are you listening DL and Loch ?
Reminded straight away of this.....

Just need son and Moura to stay wide. Both love coming inside or playing through the channels and it limits the space for Kane to play in. They need to be out on the touchline making runs diagonally behind the defense and putting balls across the box. Of course, they should mix it up, but we don't want all 3 playing in the 18 yard box, it reduces our effectiveness greatly against teams who sit back.
I honestly believe it's tactical that the likes of Lucas and Son stay central. When they play, they're essentially strikers. It's quite baffling that of all the formations Poch has tinkered with during his time here, he seems hell bent on not having fast wide forwards in the mould of City or Liverpools style, even when on paper it would seem we have the players to do it.

What s load of bollocks

I honestly believe it's tactical that the likes of Lucas and Son stay central. When they play, they're essentially strikers. It's quite baffling that of all the formations Poch has tinkered with during his time here, he seems hell bent on not having fast wide forwards in the mould of City or Liverpools style, even when on paper it would seem we have the players to do it.
This. I just don’t get why he never sets them up this way.

It still sucks and is ridiculous, but that ESPN piece is supposed to be taken a little tongue in cheek. It's part of a feature they call "overreactions" and includes that Burnley will make Europa.
You can't take ESPN seriously on a sport that's relatively new to them. You only have to listen to their commentary to realise they are talking just for the sake of talking. Apart from the few players who played over here, they are just wafflers......

Winks and Ndombele in midfield is way too defensive imo, we only need one holding mid I think.

Winks, as good as he is, all he really provides for us is the ability to retain possession, rarely if ever does he move the ball forward and I actually think he limits Ndombele because having two in the middle congests things.

Back
Top Bottom