Christian Eriksen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I like Eriksen as a player but to be world class as some are calling him you need to turn up at the big games especially away from home or latter stages of Cup competitions and Christian just doesn't do enough of this

Yep, the crux of it and that's why none of the arguably big 6 clubs have never come in for him.

It is not rocket science.

And at 27/28 it's unlikely, though not impossible for that to change.

I hope Poch continues to play him until all of the transfer windows shut. Hopefully he will sign a bumper contract, he's happy, the clubs happy and we move on and have a great season

If he doesn't sign and doesn't move on, then Poch has to put the club first and don't play him again the rest of the season. You can argue that we can't just let a player of his quality rot in the reserves but he's not the same player, his heads elsewhere, much sooner let Le Celso step up, than to pander to him the reset of the season.

Absolutely pish yesterday. But wouldn’t put it past him to have three fantastic games on the bounce now. Then be pish again for another couple.

Seems to be the way for us, too many streaky attackers. Son the same, seven great, five awful. At times when Moura starts, I think after an hour that it would be great to take Moura on to change things, forgetting he’s already there. Dele has streaks lasting months, both good and bad. Even Kane does it.

Oh to have even three of four attackers hitting form together.....

Absolutely pish yesterday. But wouldn’t put it past him to have three fantastic games on the bounce now. Then be pish again for another couple.

Seems to be the way for us, too many streaky attackers. Son the same, seven great, five awful. At times when Moura starts, I think after an hour that it would be great to take Moura on to change things, forgetting he’s already there. Dele has streaks lasting months, both good and bad. Even Kane does it.

Oh to have even three of four attackers hitting form together.....

Agreed but you'd expect it less from our most important player who is world class and off to Real Madrid. We are nothing without him, nothing.

Agreed but you'd expect it less from our most important player who is world class and off to Real Madrid. We are nothing without him, nothing.
I’d certainly expect it less from them all. But that’s why they are playing for us and not City or Real. Eriksen, like our other attackers, is a top ten in the world player in his position, but no higher. He’s right for our current level and if he was more consistent, he’d be away by now. I honestly can’t think of anyone who would definitely be an upgrade and would come to us.

Without wishing to sound facetious the answer to the bit in bold is quite simply NO my friend, reliable and ITK simply do not go together. The European window shuts soon so all should become clearer by then. :thumbup:

Found this :
Who: The Goat
Where: SC
When: 7th August
The Goat's source also said that 'it sounds like Eriksen is staying'

See what I mean ? utter bollocks.

Anybody calling themselves "the goat" isn't what I was referring to. Since the Evening Standard came out months ago and picked the four players we would sign from the off, I'm thinking there is somebody speaking at the club. It just gets lost in the 99% of other bullshit.

I guess we'll know when we know. Poch's comments on the weekend suggest that it is unsettling the squad.

Chances created in the PL since August 18

Maddison - 105
Hazard - 98
Fraser - 96
Moutinho - 86
Willian - 79

Eriksen not even in the top 5 according to MOTD2.

I’d certainly expect it less from them all. But that’s why they are playing for us and not City or Real. Eriksen, like our other attackers, is a top ten in the world player in his position, but no higher. He’s right for our current level and if he was more consistent, he’d be away by now. I honestly can’t think of anyone who would definitely be an upgrade and would come to us.

Harsh, but true... We were apparently rebuffed by both Coutinho & Dybala this summer; De Jong, & De Ligt too.

Even though our trf record has quadrupled since not long before bought CE we're far from shopping from the top shelf still. No blank cheque book and/or promise of silverware; no party.

Expensive punts(*) like Shanchez, Ndombele & GLC are where we're at (*esp. given the league we play in)... Sure they're high calibre punts, but they're punts much the same.

Elsewhere, let's be honest... Mane, Salah, Keita, Fabhinio, Firminho, were all punts for the dippers too.... Look at all the 30-40m duds the Goons have bought in recent years... It's not inconceivable that even at 70m Pepe could prove underwhelming... Pulisic at 60m. It's ludicrous to think that City, Barca, RM etc. and their scouts aren't aware of the these players; they can just afford to be patient and let them PROVE themselves at 'lesser' clubs.

Last edited:
Harsh, but true... We were apparently rebuffed by both Coutinho & Dybala this summer; De Jong, & De Ligt too.

Even though our trf record has quadrupled since not long before bought CE we're far from shopping from the top shelf still. No blank cheque book and/or promise of silverware; no party.

Expensive punts(*) like Shanchez, Ndombele & GLC are where we're at (*esp. given the league we play in)... Sure they're high calibre punts, but they're punts much the same.

Elsewhere, let's be honest... Mane, Salah, Keita, Fabhinio, Firminho, were all punts for the dippers too.... Look at all the 30-40m duds the Goons have bought in recent years... It's not inconceivable that even at 70m Pepe could prove underwhelming... Pulisic at 60m. It's ludicrous to think that City, Barca, RM etc. and their scouts aren't aware of the these players; they can just afford to be patient and let them PROVE themselves at 'lesser' clubs.

This just in the news about Dybala...

This just in the news about Dybala...

With talk still persisting that Juve still need to shift some bodies and recoup some cash; I wouldn't be suprised if he ended up there too.

On the players side big money, 'guaranteed' league title and the potential mantel of Neymar's replacement is quite the pitch.

Chances created in the PL since August 18

Maddison - 105
Hazard - 98
Fraser - 96
Moutinho - 86
Willian - 79

Eriksen not even in the top 5 according to MOTD2.

He was 8th last season, but then of all those ahead of him for chance creation, played as AM's or forwards, whereas Eriksen spent more than half the season as a midfielder, only David Silva and Moutinho ahead of him on the list played more as CM's. And of that list, only Hazard and Fraser had more assists.

With talk still persisting that Juve still need to shift some bodies and recoup some cash; I wouldn't be suprised if he ended up there too.

On the players side big money, 'guaranteed' league title and the potential mantel of Neymar's replacement is quite the pitch.

PSG also lost tonight at Rennes 2-1 so definitely looking for some more firepower

He was 8th last season, but then of all those ahead of him for chance creation, played as AM's or forwards, whereas Eriksen spent more than half the season as a midfielder, only David Silva and Moutinho ahead of him on the list played more as CM's. And of that list, only Hazard and Fraser had more assists.

From a certain perspective doesn't (eg) Fraser's assists stat understandably suffer vs chances created when you consider the poorer calibre finishers he's servicing?

As for CE as CM.... I suspect you may have noted the numbers before, but how many of those appearances were as a typical CM in a 2 vs being advance as an 8 in a diamond or 4141 (for as became common in the later stage of games if we were searching for a winning goal)? It may seem like semantics, but he was still essentially looked to to create chances, just from slightly deeper than a trad #10 role or someone banging in crosses all game.

Such stats alone aren't gonna convince me either way about CE's last season, but just curious about the finer details and how such "chances created" would read if considered on the basis of expected goals....

I guess in terms of my latter point, I'm just curious what constitutes a "chance".....

I think we are trying! Takes three to tango in this case.

Seriously I am getting annoyed by the numbnuts who keep coming in to this thread saying well if he doesn't want to be here then sell him! Or worse yet, that Levy needs to "make" him do something.

We are trying to sell him. Very hard. It's not easy when the clubs he is willing to go to is a very short list and he's on the last year of his contract. And Levy can't make him do anything he doesn't want to.

Sky actually did a piece on him during the last day of the transfer window with his stats in different midfield roles last season. I can’t remember the exact specifics but they said he only played a deeper role something like 4-8 matches so over half seems way off.

Assists could mean anything without relating to the original point. He could be creating better chances, he could have better finishers in the team than Fraser for example, it’s impossible to quantify.

I know you love your stats though and Sissoko is still ahead of the main man for assists this season :levywhoa:

From a certain perspective doesn't (eg) Fraser's assists stat understandably suffer vs chances created when you consider the poorer calibre finishers he's servicing?

As for CE as CM.... I suspect you may have noted the numbers before, but how many of those appearances were as a typical CM in a 2 vs being advance as an 8 in a diamond or 4141 (for as became common in the later stage of games if we were searching for a winning goal)? It may seem like semantics, but he was still essentially looked to to create chances, just from slightly deeper than a trad #10 role or someone banging in crosses all game.

Such stats alone aren't gonna convince me either way about CE's last season, but just curious about the finer details and how such "chances created" would read if considered on the basis of expected goals....

I guess in terms of my latter point, I'm just curious what constitutes a "chance".....

Let me just qualify something for a start, when I said Eriksen was 8th last season for chance creation, that was 8th in terms of chances created per 90.

There is still a big difference between the role Eriksen played last season, even as an 8 - and our system was more a 41212 - where Eriksen was expected to do a shitload of "midfield" type stuff (like averaging 50+ passes a game) and spending more time in deeper areas - than playing as a forward/winger/AM/10 etc - which by definition means making those little set up passes on the edge of the box that constitute a "chance" (or key pass) less likely.

It's pointless comparing Eriksen with Ryan Fraser, he's pretty much an orthodox winger. he has a great season, and if his fellow strikers were better, his X/A suggests he could/should have had even more assists (he actually under scored his x/a by 2.18 over the course of the season. His was out in front of everyone's with 16.18. But there was 3.69 goals over the course of the whole season between Hazard(x/a 11.53) in 2nd and Eriksen(x/a 7.88) in 10th overall.

In terms of x/a per 90's, of the players that played more than say 1000 minutes, that aren't full time forward/AM's the list looks like this:

D Silva 0.38
Kolasinac 0.32
Milner 0.29
B Silva 0.27
Eriksen 0.26
TAA 0.26

Seriously I am getting annoyed by the numbnuts who keep coming in to this thread saying well if he doesn't want to be here then sell him! Or worse yet, that Levy needs to "make" him do something.

We are trying to sell him. Very hard. It's not easy when the clubs he is willing to go to is a very short list and he's on the last year of his contract. And Levy can't make him do anything he doesn't want to.

Agree, the only thing we can do while the window is still open is 'apply pressure'. Make it clear to him that if his intention is to leave next season on a free the club has to make contingency plans now so cannot guarantee him regular playing time for the rest of this campaign.
Now unless he's been given a 100% assurance by a club that they'll sign him on a free when his contract expires I would imagine he would not like to spend most of his time 'benched' and unable to impress prospective employers.....might work :thumbup:

Equally so the demands to "get him to sign a new deal"....

The whole saga and surrounding fan-circus has become incredibly tiresome considering we've all been hanging out for news of him signing a new deal since before the euro's. His since speaking out about "new challenges" won't have helped in some quarters.

We're innevitably a weaker squad without him, but I just want it all resolved one way or another.... Another season of intrigue and guessing will be hellish.

Last edited:
Agree, the only thing we can do while the window is still open is 'apply pressure'. Make it clear to him that if his intention is to leave next season on a free the club has to make contingency plans now so cannot guarantee him regular playing time for the rest of this campaign.
Now unless he's been given a 100% assurance by a club that they'll sign him on a free when his contract expires I would imagine he would not like to spend most of his time 'benched' and unable to impress prospective employers.....might work :thumbup:

That's a high risk strategy. If it lights a fire under him to play really hard to keep his spot and/or sign a contract then it's great. If it just alienates him and we end up paying Eriksen to sit on the bench for a season, it's not so great.

Back
Top Bottom