Kyle Walker-Peters

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Thought he done well, one gripe and I'm sure it comes from poch is our fullbacks over tuck and pick up the forward instead of the centre halfs taking responsibility
I’m not sure this is a Poch thing. It’s a KWP thing. Walker never did it. Trippier didn’t do it. Aurier didn’t do it.

I’m not sure this is a Poch thing. It’s a KWP thing. Walker never did it. Trippier didn’t do it. Aurier didn’t do it.

100% a Poch tactic yesterday.

Rose was exactly the same. I imagine it was to deal with crosses in the box and have Eriksen and Sissoko to cover the wings.

Problem is, that isn't Eriksens game and Sissoko switched off for 90 minutes when it came to that instruction

At the point now where KWP could get an assist and a winner in the NLD and he'd be picked up by certain posters for being out of position in the 64th minute.

A bit like how certain players get back handed compliments despite scoring and assisting today.

"Didn't buy a RB" ergo KWP is shite. :avbcringe:

He has very good skill and dribbling however he just does not seem strong enough. Late in the second half Sterling tackled and virtually ran over him, there will always be players that are at least as physical as Sterling in our big games. Not sure if this can improve or will always be an issue.
This is my main gripe, too. Rose rarely loses in a one on one and if he does he normally "buys" a foul.

The kind of game he will hopefully learn a lot from.

I'd stick with him against Newcastle, otherwise what was the point of exposing him today?

Indeed. For similar reason, I hope Poch does not drop him for Foyth the moment he is available again (nor Aurier)... Least of all as Foyth has yet to make it his position.

Until (unless) KPW's performances befit being dropped, his baptism should continue.

(See Sanchez dropped for Toby in his first season.)

This can be addressed in training and the gym.

Rose is far from perfect and is poor in the final third.
KWP was exceptionally poor yesterday - doesn’t mean he’s doomed as a RB with but to dress it up any other way is laughable. Going to gym doesn’t improve your decision making - lol

His positional sense was poor but I feel he's being unfairly dug out. Rose was also poor and both the goals came from Roses side not closing down properly.

He was targeted by Sterling who's possibly the best winger in world football atm, but hung in against him all game and even got the better of him most of the game.

He also wasn't helped by our tactics we basically surrendered the wings and overloaded the box and midfield. Sissoko was running on fumes it seemed to me and was struggling to track back and help him properly.

Made a couple mistakes but all in all he wasn't diabolical and the experience will do him good. Also think he looked very good going forward he left Sterling for dead a couple of times also.

He's being dug out unfairly by some on here I think

His positional sense was poor but I feel he's being unfairly dug out. Rose was also poor and both the goals came from Roses side not closing down properly.

He was targeted by Sterling who's possibly the best winger in world football atm, but hung in against him all game and even got the better of him most of the game.

He also wasn't helped by our tactics we basically surrendered the wings and overloaded the box and midfield. Sissoko was running on fumes it seemed to me and was struggling to track back and help him properly.

Made a couple mistakes but all in all he wasn't diabolical and the experience will do him good. Also think he looked very good going forward he left Sterling for dead a couple of times also.

He's being dug out unfairly by some on here I think

I thought KWP 1 on 1 defending was pretty damn good.

Positionally, not the greatest. But it's been so long since we've had a positionally perfect full back, that I'm not entirely shocked. Just compare that performance to the embarrassment Trippier served up against City and Sterling last season and it's a marked improvement.

KWP was exceptionally poor yesterday - doesn’t mean he’s doomed as a RB with but to dress it up any other way is laughable. Going to gym doesn’t improve your decision making - lol

I agree that going to the gym does my improve decision making.

I do think that being exposed to these kind of games and then reviewing the footage with coaches to identify areas to work on will though.

I agree that going to the gym does my improve decision making.

Sounds like someone (not you) was just twisting my previous comment.

I'm simply of the opinion that more of those one on one's would have panned out in his favour if he was a bit stronger when he was physically engaging the opposing player....

A lot of the time he engaged and timed his challenges well, but just didn't come away with the ball. Strength will help that.

Last edited:
Our back four haven't been a solid cohesive unit since the Walker Days. I think poor performances from Trippier last season and the Toby contract saga have contributed to this so I our defence still has a lot of work needed.

RB is our weakest area by far, and when you consider our "finished product" option Aurier is both injury prone and very clumsy it doesn't instil confidence, Foyth may well be the long term plan but he is still a developing player and similarly clumsy and injury prone.

At the moment KWP is by far our best option, it feels like when he makes mistakes he learns from them and you know hes committed as he's fully COYS. Sissoko hugely important to his development at the moment, but he needs to work on being more physical and attacking defenders more. Man City's movement when they play at full tilt is A1, the only way to beat it is to hope they spurn their chances or literally man mark every single player.

KWP played very close to Toby yesterday. Can only assume this was the instruction as Toby never bothered pushing him farther out. Gave Sterling loads of space but poss stopped city going through gaps in the middle as they did at West Ham. Presumably Sissoko was supposed to cover over but didn’t seem to work.

Worth pointing out that Sterling has exposed most (if not all) of the RB's he's played against in the last year or so - and most have been far more experienced than KWP.

Thought KWP had a better game than a lot of other RB's have had against Sterling. He'll also learn from that game I'm sure and be better next time. Hopefully Sissoko will improve as he certainly should have been doing far more to pick up the opposition players which would have helped out KWP. And Toby had clearly been told to stay centrally to pick up strikers rather than help KWP.

Think it might be telling that Aurier was not in the squad yesterday - message is that Poch thinks KWP is the main RB for the time being.

Both City goals came from Rose side, not the RB's responsibility, again suggesting KWP wasn't that bad otherwise we'd have conceded a few goals down the right hand side.

IMO, KWP and Foyth will be the RB's until January, possibly augmented by Dier (played RB for a season when Walker was injured) and even Tanganga (LCB but has played RB for Spurs youth - almost the opposite to KWP in physicality but also fast). Based upon the first half of the season, Poch may (or may not) choose to re-assess our RB options.

I've re-watched the game. He wasn't as dodgy as I initially thought.
He's a class act who's 4 years away from his peak. He's hardly played but watch him and you can see his positive characteristics:

Good technique
Composed
Courageous with and without the ball
Reasonably quick
Intelligent

All his down sides currently are due to a lack of games and experience:

Judgement
Decision making
Not as confident as he could be

and so most of these will drop away with time in the same way they did for the likes of King and Ferdinand, players who had all the positive characteristics above (they were quicker admittedly).

Poch should stick with him because he'll be our right back for years and one of the best in the league eventually.

Meanwhile our former “Champo” RB is living the dream in Madrid at one Europe’s biggest clubs, and opening his debut with an assist
He got way too much stick last year although by his own admittance he didn't have his best season.

I think overall it's worked out well for him and us - we had a good servant for a few years, we made a healthy profit and he played his part in a good side until the apprentice was ready to become the master.
He improved at Spurs, his England career took off and he ended up with a great move to a top club with Sangria with his fish and chips every night.

He got way too much stick last year although by his own admittance he didn't have his best season.

I think overall it's worked out well for him and us - we had a good servant for a few years, we made a healthy profit and he played his part in a good side until the apprentice was ready to become the master.
He improved at Spurs, his England career took off and he ended up with a great move to a top club with Sangria with his fish and chips every night.

Academy grown so he could prove vital for squad numbers, always got a smile on his face, has seemingly never moaned about his lack of game time and has won MOTM awards more than most despite his lack of game time.

He's an Edmonton boy so he really is one of our own. I'm absolutely fine with KWP being one of our two right backs moving forward. Who the other one is and will be is up for debate.

Interested to see where his level will be once he gets to 25-26 years of age. Should take confidence with the opening two games that he belongs near this level & with a little work and elements added he has good raw characteristics that should see him grow,

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom