Summer 2019 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Lads the window is shut, you can talk about other matches to bump the page numbers all you want but it won’t help us make signings why the fuck are you discussing it here?

I mean creating the 2nd most chances in the EPL dont count for shit no more i guess sigh
Pause.

I'm not saying I "want" Eriksen to leave. But if he refuses to sign an extension, then I'd rather sell him and sign Dybala. I don't want to lose him for free and not have the benefit of his transfer fee to re-invest in the squad.

Ignoring Dybala. I'd rather he sign an extension, after all...

"to the left, to the right, he's our midfield dynamite,
when he plays in lilywhite,
he makes Ozil look shiiiiiiite"

iu

I'm not so sure, these are young players - (23 TNd, LC and 19 Sess, 18 JC) - he seemed to wanting us to buy slightly older more experienced players, we've gone back to buying younger players with potential to develop again.

According to what?

As per your theory, do you think Sanchez was a 'Poch signing'?

Foyth?
Vinny? (who reportedly had scouted him first hand, so presumably gave him the thumbs up)
Serge was 24...
Mooted bids for Grielish, De Ligt & De Jong....
Granted Llorente was the other end of the scale, but that's an exception in recent years.

Yes they have headroom for growth, but I think TN & GLC are expected to contribute off the bat; rather than being coaching 'projects'...

According to what?

Mainly there fella himself:

Mauricio Pochettino says he is "not in charge" of transfers at Tottenham and believes his job title should be changed from manager to coach.

The Argentine made the comments after Spurs' 1-0 Audi Cup win over Real Madrid in Munich on Tuesday.

"I know nothing about the situation of my players," said Pochettino.

Following the win over Real, he avoided questions about the future of defender Danny Rose, saying: "I am only coaching them and trying to get the best from them.

"Sell, buy players, sign contract, not sign contract - I think it is not in my hands, it's in the club's hands and [chairman] Daniel Levy.

"The club needs to change my title and description. Of course I am the boss deciding the strategic play, but in another area I don't know. Today, I feel like I am the coach."

Earlier this month, Spurs broke their transfer record to sign Lyon midfielder Tanguy Ndombele - the club's second signing since January 2018.

When he extended his contract at Tottenham in 2016, his job title changed from head coach to manager and the 47-year-old said at the time: "We are agreed that it would be good, for myself, for the club, for all.

Mainly there fella himself:

Mauricio Pochettino says he is "not in charge" of transfers at Tottenham and believes his job title should be changed from manager to coach.

The Argentine made the comments after Spurs' 1-0 Audi Cup win over Real Madrid in Munich on Tuesday.

"I know nothing about the situation of my players," said Pochettino.

Following the win over Real, he avoided questions about the future of defender Danny Rose, saying: "I am only coaching them and trying to get the best from them.

"Sell, buy players, sign contract, not sign contract - I think it is not in my hands, it's in the club's hands and [chairman] Daniel Levy.

"The club needs to change my title and description. Of course I am the boss deciding the strategic play, but in another area I don't know. Today, I feel like I am the coach."

Earlier this month, Spurs broke their transfer record to sign Lyon midfielder Tanguy Ndombele - the club's second signing since January 2018.

When he extended his contract at Tottenham in 2016, his job title changed from head coach to manager and the 47-year-old said at the time: "We are agreed that it would be good, for myself, for the club, for all.

Those comment make no reference to player age or profile tho.

I meant your theory idea he wants older players.... I'd have thought that was obvious from the comments that followed in my post, no? (I thought you were harking back to his vague past comments about doing things 'differently"... Obv not.)

FWIW tho', I personally don't buy that interpretation of Poch's comments over the summer anyway.

"Sell, buy players, sign contract, not sign contract - I think it is not in my hands, it's in the club's hands and [chairman] Daniel Levy."

...That's the crux of it for me. Plus his other comments about who get's credit when aquisitions do/don't pan out well.

He's not gone as far as to imply he has no say in who we bid for.

Edit: The idea that players are being bought and sold despite him is all a bit John Thomas/TinHat brigade for me

Last edited:
I'm not so sure, these are young players - (23 TNd, LC and 19 Sess, 18 JC) - he seemed to wanting us to buy slightly older more experienced players, we've gone back to buying younger players with potential to develop again.
Don’t agree mate.

Ndombele is on record in saying poch personally spoke with him to convince him to come.

GLC he was a huge fan before and if it was a levy buy he would’ve gave up and went for a cheaper version way sooner

Those comment make no reference to player age or profile tho.

I meant your theory idea he wants older players.... I'd have thought that was obvious from the comments that followed in my post, no? (I thought you were harking back to his vague past comments about doing things 'differently"... Obv not.)

FWIW tho', I personally don't buy that interpretation of Poch's comments over the summer anyway.

"Sell, buy players, sign contract, not sign contract - I think it is not in my hands, it's in the club's hands and [chairman] Daniel Levy."

...That's the crux of it for me. Plus his other comments about who get's credit when aquisitions do/don't pan out well.

He's not gone as far as to imply he has no say in who we bid for.

Edit: The idea that players are being bought and sold despite him is all a bit John Thomas/TinHat brigade for me
Don’t agree mate.

Ndombele is on record in saying poch personally spoke with him to convince him to come.

GLC he was a huge fan before and if it was a levy buy he would’ve gave up and went for a cheaper version way sooner

I'm not saying he's gone from total control to no control - I don't believe either were/are true - I'm sure he still has input, but Pochettino was extremely truculent at times with the media this summer (in fact going back at times toward the end of last season too). And was pretty unequivocal about his role being "changed" back to head coach.

I definitely think it sounds like our process has been slightly rejigged with Poch's influence maybe reducing?

Bottom line is, none of us will ever really know, but I was just going by what he's said himself.

Mkspurs85 Mkspurs85 - just because Poch talks to players doesn't mean he was the initiator or even biggest driving force behind the transfer. Likewise he could be.

I'm not saying he's gone from total control to no control - I don't believe either were/are true - I'm sure he still has input, but Pochettino was extremely truculent at times with the media this summer (in fact going back at times toward the end of last season too). And was pretty unequivocal about his role being "changed" back to head coach.

I definitely think it sounds like our process has been slightly rejigged with Poch's influence maybe reducing?

Bottom line is, none of us will ever really know, but I was just going by what he's said himself.

Mkspurs85 Mkspurs85 - just because Poch talks to players doesn't mean he was the initiator or even biggest driving force behind the transfer. Likewise he could be.

Still haven't answered my question...

What make you so sure Poch wants older players.

Back
Top Bottom