Summer 2019 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

When you think of club finances the way the clubs themselves do - in terms of wages + amortization of transfer fees - this all makes perfectly clear sense.

A potential acquisition as a certain value to the club, X. In a transfer, some of that value goes back to the selling club as a transfer fee Y, and the remainder gets paid to the player in wages Z. X minus Y = Z.

But where Y is zero, the player collects the full value of what he's worth to the buying club. That's not a little bit more, it's a LOT more.

Aaron Ramsey has woken up the football business to this. A player of Ramsey's quality signing a four-year deal worth 200k a week with his club getting a 45M transfer fee is run of the mill business, but Ramsey getting 400k per week on a free and becoming one of the highest paid players in the world seems extraordinary, even though from Juventus' perspective it's the same deal.

(Not *exactly* the same of course, because wages like that for a player like Ramsey are un-transferrable. You obviously want these deals to be a shorter term for a player who's proven and who you know you want. One imagines Juve has figured out a sensible way to insure the contract based on Ramsey's fitness history too.)

To be frank, this threatens to blow up the entire system. Players are heavily incentivized to refuse any moves and to complete their contracts and become free agents, and that's not the way any of this has operated previously. It will be interesting to see how this evolves. Don't be surprised to see Eriksen sign for wages that seem insane in light of the transfer disinterest he's inspired.

20-30 years the club decided for their player. He called him and said, "We sold you to that club, pack your bags". Today the player is more protected and even creates problems at the club. As you say there is an imbalance in favor of the player because maybe the contract is very expensive (if he is tall, like Khedira, it is not easy to sell if the player does not cut the fee).
I think we will arrive at a time when salaries will also go down, like a mathematical graph (sinusoid).

When you think of club finances the way the clubs themselves do - in terms of wages + amortization of transfer fees - this all makes perfectly clear sense.

A potential acquisition as a certain value to the club, X. In a transfer, some of that value goes back to the selling club as a transfer fee Y, and the remainder gets paid to the player in wages Z. X minus Y = Z.

But where Y is zero, the player collects the full value of what he's worth to the buying club. That's not a little bit more, it's a LOT more.

Aaron Ramsey has woken up the football business to this. A player of Ramsey's quality signing a four-year deal worth 200k a week with his club getting a 45M transfer fee is run of the mill business, but Ramsey getting 400k per week on a free and becoming one of the highest paid players in the world seems extraordinary, even though from Juventus' perspective it's the same deal.

(Not *exactly* the same of course, because wages like that for a player like Ramsey are un-transferrable. You obviously want these deals to be a shorter term for a player who's proven and who you know you want. One imagines Juve has figured out a sensible way to insure the contract based on Ramsey's fitness history too.)

To be frank, this threatens to blow up the entire system. Players are heavily incentivized to refuse any moves and to complete their contracts and become free agents, and that's not the way any of this has operated previously. It will be interesting to see how this evolves. Don't be surprised to see Eriksen sign for wages that seem insane in light of the transfer disinterest he's inspired.
Calm down, very few players run their contracts down, because it's a cunty thing to do...in this country it usually involves Woolwich players, including fucking Judas who did it twice!!!

Most of what you say is right, of course, and this has been going on since Bosman. It suits acquiring clubs, who can effectively spread their cost over the length of a contract in weekly chunks, but there are some other factors to consider that still come into play.

A player risks his financial security by refusing to sign a new contract, if Eriksen runs his contract down, not only is he losing out on a guaranteed, significant wage increase for the foreseeable future (or the next 1-2 years if he still moves), if he then does his ACL a month before his existing contract it runs out, he could find himself without income (and without a club to pay for extensive treatment) for a significant time, at peak earning time in what is a very short career.

I think this risk is only appealing to the very elite players who are very confident they will be able to secure high value future contracts.

The vast majority of players will still prefer the security of a decent, guaranteed income and the financial stability that gives them.

Lewondoski got just over £9m signing on fee, but no matter how much we may love Christian, he's no Lewondoski. He might get £5m - maybe more who knows. But all I'm saying is he can guarantee himself an extra few million just for playing for Spurs for another year (which I hope he will do anyway whether he signs or not) and still earn a decent signing on fee and another increase in wages if he has a good year and goes for a relatively low transfer fee. I have no idea which way he would choose - I just know what I would do!

If you believe the reports Ramsey got £8M

I know we have Man City first, but I am so excited for the Newcastle match. Son, Lo Celso, Sessengon and Alli should all be up to speed by then.

We'll have a near fully fit squad with real depth available. Exciting times.

So glad we didnt sign Aaron's

Always a few that fans get wrong - I remember a lot wanting Giannelli Imbula a DM from Marseilles about 3 or 4 seasons ago. Joined Stoke and has been on loan the last 2 seasons, having not held down a place at the Championship club and hasn't enticed buyers either.

Aarons might be different as he's still only 19. and after only about one season in Championship is now finding that PL is a big step up (as did Sessegnon)

Always a few that fans get wrong - I remember a lot wanting Giannelli Imbula a DM from Marseilles about 3 or 4 seasons ago. Joined Stoke and has been on loan the last 2 seasons, having not held down a place at the Championship club and hasn't enticed buyers either.

Aarons might be different as he's still only 19. and after only about one season in Championship is now finding that PL is a big step up (as did Sessegnon)
Imbula.. Christ. I remember that fiasco. A lot of people wanted Seri, Berahino and Kluivert as well. All have struggled with the moves they made.

Agree on Aarons. Although he had a torrid time vs Origi, that was his first game in the Premier League. I think he'll become a top player. If Norwich go down I wouldn't rule out Spurs making a move for him.

I was impressed with their left back as well. John McGinn looks a real talent also. I'd have him and Mings at Spurs.

Imbula.. Christ. I remember that fiasco. A lot of people wanted Seri, Berahino and Kluivert as well. All have struggled with the moves they made.

Agree on Aarons. Although he had a torrid time vs Origi, that was his first game in the Premier League. I think he'll become a top player. If Norwich go down I wouldn't rule out Spurs making a move for him.

I was impressed with their left back as well. John McGinn looks a real talent also. I'd have him and Mings at Spurs.

Was with you all the way until you got to Ming's and McGinn. I'd be happy enough if we got both through the youth system (although I think/hope that Skipp/White/Bowden and LB Cirkin will all make it into our first team and probably be better than Ming's and possibly McGinn). But I don't think we need to buy either now - we need to set our sights on better footballers to buy and fill out our squad if necessary with Academy products who are good enough even if not always the quality of Kane.

Although having said that I might want to revise my opinion on McGinn again in a few months as he seems to be taking to PL rather better than I thought he might.

Regarding Imbula. Glen Johnson was slagging off Berahino on radio the other day. He mentioned Imbula as being a waste of space. Bit like some of our lot when Poch arrived. He certainly wasted no time in getting shot. Perhaps Edwards is of that ilk.

McGinn is on the lines of Fraser at Bournemouth. Busy little players who are worth having in the squad.
Fraser is in last year of contract.

Mcginn was Villa's POTY last season and is still only 24, full of energy and a good eye for goal. Would certainly be a good squad player for us but would probably command a fee that Levy wouldn't pay for a squad player

Back
Top Bottom