Villa H Sat 10 Aug 17:30 BST

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The acoustics of the stadium are bang on. Credit to Villa fans in terms of noise, but obviously you would expect them to be loud. I was surprised how many of them left when we scored our second. I thought they would stay and applaud their teams efforts. A fair few of their fans spent most of the game looking the wrong way back at us. A very gobby set of fans.
Reading their forum, I am shocked by their attitude. There is an expectation that they should be competing with us in terms of performance. Get real villa fans, on another day that could have been 6-0.
Stand out performances for me: Kane, KWP, Winks, Rose.
I think Ndombele had a mixed debut. Firstly, he is clearly quality. He grew in to the game and his goal gave him confidence after he had lost the ball a few times. I thought he didn't look as fit as the rest of our players - obviously this will come. Still he finished the game bossing the midfield so very exciting times.
A mention about Skipp's few minutes, the kid is class.
You clearly saw the game. Excellent analysis - spot on. It's a shame they didn't design the stadium acoustics to mute the away fans area - I'm sure they could have done.
I'm a bit bummed that Skipp's squad number has gone from 52 to 29. My Oli Skipp plastic weather vane footballer is out of date already :(

He's got heart give him that with a team like villa yes great but a step up an established premier league team,no! There's a guy up here Scott Brown exactly the same plays in midfield for Celtic with Celtic great and like McGinn a stand out for Hibs but that's his level Scottish football plus the fact he's protected which makes it a dam sight easier for him.
Scott Brown is 35 - in his pomp, and given the opportunity in a competitive league he'd have adapted and been a solid player. McGinns had a year down south and he's already as good or better than many young players in the champ and probably EPL.
I mean Charlie Adam made it in the Epl and you're doubting Brown and McGinn?!
:vertna:

mcGinn was anonymous for the majority of the game, which passed him by like he was a schoolboy at a sweetie festival, he knew what he wanted - but he had nothing to pay with. He wanted to be like the big boys.
But he got minced.
Staggeringly shit post Mick.
He's 22 and in a newly promoted side playing against one of the best in the land. His team got dominated. His debut in this league. He did pretty well.

Rewatched the game again and focused on Winks in that first half. What a player we have on our hands if he can keep himself fit. Hopefully Poch can rotate him more during some weekends, especially when the likes of Lo Celso are up to scratch to help keep him fit and make him realise no one's position should be safe in there.

First time we've played at the new stadium and it felt like the Lane in my view.

Rewatched the game again and focused on Winks in that first half. What a player we have on our hands if he can keep himself fit. Hopefully Poch can rotate him more during some weekends, especially when the likes of Lo Celso are up to scratch to help keep him fit and make him realise no one's position should be safe in there.

First time we've played at the new stadium and it felt like the Lane in my view.
What did he do that stood out for you? I've seen some criticism of his performance.

FYI I'm firmly in the 'this kid could be something special' camp.

First day... 3 points and some positives. KWP, Winks, Ndombele + Kane off the mark. Need a massive week on the training ground from the gaffa with City on the horizon already.

Kane: I still don't think he played a good game, but when he scores I can live with it. So I'm happy he got on the end of those to chances, and did what he does the best - striking a ball.

I don't either... Equally i don't buy into the idea that he, Dele, Eriksen and a number of others magically turned shit for the last 18 months. Nor the gaffa for that matter; i just think he's currently got tunnel vision trying to force a formation that doesn't suit us and leaves us having to win games through sheer determination and raw ability; whereas previously we'd been winning games by being vibrant, energetic and greater than the sum of our parts.

Seeing players like Lucas, Son, Dele & Lamela trying to bulldoze through beefy mid and lower table CBs & DMs drives me nuts.

Did anyone see the graphic on motd last night showing the average position of our attackers? Dreadfull!

Meanwhile, i think the much worn criticism of our FBs crossing is a redherring... Rose and Walker never were good crossers (why else besides that combined with 3CBs would Trippier initially seem like the second coming despite being suspect defensively?)... They did however have players more regularly in closer proximity to link up with as they bombed forward and over- lapped.

Is it any coincidence that we looked so much more dangerous when we broke free of 41212 today?

433, 4141 or 4231 but please lets freshen up for the season as it did feel like more of the same lesser side of last season today.

Yes, Eriksen helped our cause when he came on but we saw plenty of constipated performances like that with him as a starter last season.

Poch said 'we' got it wrong tactically yesterday so i'm preying he's seeing the light.

Everything just got more fluid when he came on. Looked like the other players suddenly started moving

Which is less to do with him and more to do with formation.

Eriksen is the back bone of the team getting anything done, sure at times hes been shit, but when did we ever play well without him?

Need to find a way... If we lose him; then what?

They all count, first game or last. We can't be scrapping at home to the likes of Villa if we want to be progressing. It's not a good sign.
And more importantly we shouldn't be so reliant on one player. We knew that we were at the end of last season, we had to address it in the window, and yet here we are still in the same boat.

Bollocks. You were ignorantly whinging about this before the game.... We had 7 or 8 players missing today. Plus we bought GLC and Ndombele both whom have creative element to their games. Son and Dele also think you're talking gash.

Last edited:
What did he do that stood out for you? I've seen some criticism of his performance.

FYI I'm firmly in the 'this kid could be something special' camp.

His passing. We've lacked someone in midfield who can spray the ball out wide (usually comes from our centre halves) and he was doing that effortlessly. Basically helped us run the game.

Plus:.

It was as close to Modric-lite that I've ever seen from him, if i am honest with you. The way he would control, spray it outwide with quick accuracy as well as defend relatively well.

Last edited:
In fact Eriksen and Ndombele compliment each other, once the two are playing they are the player the other team should not give space. The most improved players when Eriksen came were him and Ndombele, can't avoid to think that's cause one creates space for the other to play.
PS: BUT THE DIAMOND SUCKS.

Much like CE & Dembele did.

I get that, it was just my way of saying Harry should be team captain.. really can’t see the point of having a keeper as captain and never have done.

I think Lloris is quite a good club Captain for us - Levy / Poch don't really like to reveal too much and he always toes the party line

Also, being Captain means more press exposure........if Kane's Captain that just means more endless questions about moving to Real Madrid, etc

I think KWP had a great game, still question marks over him and how he will cope with better teams than Villa but I though he played very well yesterday, maybe with a run of games he might develop into something special, here's hoping so anyway.

First half I would say Villa deserved to be ahead and had the better of us despite our possession and domination of the ball.

Second half however we definitely deserved the win, especially once Eriksen came on.

The acoustics of the stadium are bang on. Credit to Villa fans in terms of noise, but obviously you would expect them to be loud. I was surprised how many of them left when we scored our second. I thought they would stay and applaud their teams efforts. A fair few of their fans spent most of the game looking the wrong way back at us. A very gobby set of fans.
Reading their forum, I am shocked by their attitude. There is an expectation that they should be competing with us in terms of performance. Get real villa fans, on another day that could have been 6-0.
Stand out performances for me: Kane, KWP, Winks, Rose.
I think Ndombele had a mixed debut. Firstly, he is clearly quality. He grew in to the game and his goal gave him confidence after he had lost the ball a few times. I thought he didn't look as fit as the rest of our players - obviously this will come. Still he finished the game bossing the midfield so very exciting times.
A mention about Skipp's few minutes, the kid is class.
They’ve always been a nasty gobby lot every time I’ve crossed em. Similar to Leeds

I think KWP had a great game, still question marks over him and how he will cope with better teams than Villa but I though he played very well yesterday, maybe with a run of games he might develop into something special, here's hoping so anyway.

First half I would say Villa deserved to be ahead and had the better of us despite our possession and domination of the ball.

Second half however we definitely deserved the win, especially once Eriksen came on.
Not just possession, we also made better chances in the first half.
Their goal was a bad one to concede, something went badly wrong when a long hoof put a midfielder 1 on 1 with Lloris, but other than that they created nothing really. Second half was like the Alamo.

Not throughout the game. Once Eriksen replaced Winks, and Sissoko was playing centrally only then he played well. He isnt a winger though. Poch should know by now.

Nailed it about Sissoko

Some twat on here reckoned he only played well for the last few minutes??😆😆😆

Back
Top Bottom