Villa H Sat 10 Aug 17:30 BST

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

If we go 433 it needs to be Lo Celso, Winks and Ndombele in the middle. Lo Celso to make the runs forward, Ndombele to be box to box and Winks to be the sprayer. Then Son, Lucas and Kane up top.

4321 is a little more difficult. Alli is great as a shadow striker, but then need to fit in Eriksen, Lo Celso, Son and Lucas.

If we go 433 it needs to be Lo Celso, Winks and Ndombele in the middle. Lo Celso to make the runs forward, Ndombele to be box to box and Winks to be the sprayer. Then Son, Lucas and Kane up top.

4321 is a little more difficult. Alli is great as a shadow striker, but then need to fit in Eriksen, Lo Celso, Son and Lucas.
If Poch continues this diamond horseshit than Dele is actually a great fit:

Winks
Ndombele-Lo Celso
Dele
Kane-Son

Winks 34 forward passes, 33 passes in their third, 2 chances created

Sissoko 14 forward passes, 22 attacking third, 1 chance created (90th minute)

Winks was on the pitch 30 minutes less than Sissoko and played entirely as the deepest midfielder when he was. Sissoko played about 20 minutes as a CM, 20 minutes as an Attacking right midfielder the rest as the L8, the last

You are talking utter bollocks.

Someone said it in some other thread, maybe Winks': there's the kind of football fan that can appreciate what players like Winks bring to a game, and there's the kind that doesn't.

We were utterly shit in the final third in the first hour, and we were unceasingly in the final third because of Harry Winks.

That stadium was LOUD today. In fact, I'd say it was joyous, ecstatic - and totally amazing. 2 hours later and I think my ears have just about recovered.
Those Villa fans had a treat! Not only did they have 60 happy minutes, but they also got to visit the best stadium in the land.
Great post. Toby tweeted that the fans kept the team going and watching my stream you could hear the noise. The comms even stopped talking so as to just let the TV audience listen. Fantastic!

Winks 34 forward passes, 33 passes in their third, 2 chances created

Sissoko 14 forward passes, 22 attacking third, 1 chance created (90th minute)

Winks was on the pitch 30 minutes less than Sissoko and played entirely as the deepest midfielder when he was. Sissoko played about 30 minutes as an Attacking right midfielder the rest as the L8.

You are talking utter bollocks.
actually - you are
It's like you didn't watch the game, but just read a pile of stats

Sissoko was consistently an aggresive player running at their defence and helping KWP from getting overloaded
The sad thing being is that he turns from superman to superman running in kryptonite whenever he gets near goal.

Probably because he was subbed for tactical reasons at 63 minutes.

Also didn’t have to do much since the ball was pretty much in Villa’s third or out for a corner the entire 2nd half.

Winks was good 1st half and not good 2nd half and got subbed. A lot were calling for Sissoko to be subbed but Poch subbed Winks for Eriksen and that was absolutely the right call.
Edit: Just looked at a post above that suggested that Harry was maybe injured.

actually - you are
It's like you didn't watch the game, but just read a pile of stats

Sissoko was consistently an aggresive player running at their defence and helping KWP from getting overloaded
The sad thing being is that he turns from superman to superman running in kryptonite whenever he gets near goal.
I’m a big Sissoko guy and he played better after the formation shift moved him centrally but if Dele or Son or Eriksen start in his place today we probably win 5-1.

He’s a rotation guy. Should be nowhere near a diamond or a 4-3-3. Works well centrally in a midfield 2.

Look forward to him bulldozing Northhammerfart-on-Bicklebottom in the FA Cup 3rd round proper. But don’t want him starting on regular basis.

I'm o for the scots making a mark in englandshire but McGinn in nothing more than a average honest pro doing the best he can he was stand out at Hibs cos they're dog shit! He disappeared in games for them anaw what got him through was he kept going technique and skill is lacking but.......with the right management/coaching what skills he does have could be improved and used better at a better club.
mcGinn was anonymous for the majority of the game, which passed him by like he was a schoolboy at a sweetie festival, he knew what he wanted - but he had nothing to pay with. He wanted to be like the big boys.
But he got minced.

I’m a big Sissoko guy and he played better after the formation shift moved him centrally but if Dele or Son or Eriksen start in his place today we probably win 5-1.

He’s a rotation guy. Should be nowhere near a diamond or a 4-3-3. Works well centrally in a midfield 2.

Look forward to him bulldozing Northhammerfart-on-Bicklebottom in the FA Cup 3rd round proper. But don’t want him starting on regular basis.
agreed - he just wasn't as useless as blakey makes him out to have been

Just got home from the game.
Highlight of the day - meeting Mrs P, N.Naylor & Chucklevision in the Dispensary. 👍

What a frustrating game, but Villa tired dramaticallytowards the end and the pressure was finally toomuch for them. The introduction of Eriksen made a big difference - he brought a spark and a bit of bite to the attack.

I must say that the endless passing sideways for 70 minutes of the game was more than frustrating - it became annoying, especially to someone who was sitting a few rows away from the gloating moronic hoards of Villa supporters.

Luckily I predicted 3-1 before the game and at half time. I say 'luckily', because I think that scoreline flatters us.

Next week we need to be a very much better Spurs, or we could get a tonking.
Always nice to put a face to a username :adethumbup:

Just got home, nothing much more to say than what’s already been said, game completely changed once Eriksen came on.

I did think the couple of VAR decisions were resolved pretty swiftly (May have been because they were obvious), a lot quicker than they seemed to be in European games.

mcGinn was anonymous for the majority of the game, which passed him by like he was a schoolboy at a sweetie festival, he knew what he wanted - but he had nothing to pay with. He wanted to be like the big boys.
But he got minced.
He's got heart give him that with a team like villa yes great but a step up an established premier league team,no! There's a guy up here Scott Brown exactly the same plays in midfield for Celtic with Celtic great and like McGinn a stand out for Hibs but that's his level Scottish football plus the fact he's protected which makes it a dam sight easier for him.

Just got back. Very relieved after that flat, lucklustre first half. Was truly dreading the thought of screwing this one up as the clock ticked by.
But a deserved win as dominated 2nd half. Eriksen of course made a big difference.
I've got concerns over Sanchez though, not sure he's improving and made some bad errors reading the game...

Did we learn anything from that performance today?
Fucking right we did, first up I don’t ever want anyone to question Harry Kane ever again🤨

Secondly, never set us up like that again Poch, it was like fingernails on a blackboard watching Sissoko on that right hand side of whatever the fuck that formation was....

So.....

Back to basics, the world revolves around Harry Kane and so it should, he Is the one true king, so dropping Sissoko deep, getting Lamela right up Kane’s arse occupying the penalty spot with Eriksen and Lucas floating left and right was a throw back to Kane, Alli, Eriksen & (enter name) era, and it fucking works......Kane needs to be able to drift wide and forcing him Centre because the clowns behind him can’t pass a fucking ball killed us for 60mins, enter Eriksen and it looked 1000 times better......

Build around Kane at all costs, but don’t let the opposition build around Kane or we are fucked......

Diamonds are a girls best friend, not Tottenham’s😖😖

Did we learn anything from that performance today?
Fucking right we did, first up I don’t ever want anyone to question Harry Kane ever again🤨

Secondly, never set us up like that again Poch, it was like fingernails on a blackboard watching Sissoko on that right hand side of whatever the fuck that formation was....

So.....

Back to basics, the world revolves around Harry Kane and so it should, he Is the one true king, so dropping Sissoko deep, getting Lamela right up Kane’s arse occupying the penalty spot with Eriksen and Lucas floating left and right was a throw back to Kane, Alli, Eriksen & (enter name) era, and it fucking works......Kane needs to be able to drift wide and forcing him Centre because the clowns behind him can’t pass a fucking ball killed us for 60mins, enter Eriksen and it looked 1000 times better......

Build around Kane at all costs, but don’t let the opposition build around Kane or we are fucked......

Diamonds are a girls best friend, not Tottenham’s😖😖
We will look like a completely different team with Son preferably coming from the left and Lo Celso in midfield (instead of Sissoko). Probably for the first time v Newcastle.

Back
Top Bottom