Villa H Sat 10 Aug 17:30 BST

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Eriksen is the back bone of the team getting anything done, sure at times hes been shit, but when did we ever play well without him?

The game changed when he came on but I don't think that is solely down to him. The formation shifted, we started pressing higher and even harder than before, players moved to more natural positions for them and we exploited our chances. I don't think it hurt that Villa finally started to become worn out from the pressure.

Based upon his season last year, I don't know how to feel about Eriksen anymore. He has been so integral to the team and our success, but I can't help but feel that we are both better apart at this point. Lo Celso can hopefully come in and help fill the void, and it is possible that Winks can play more advanced as well.

feel that when we lost Dembele it was more of a significant impact on our quality of play than if we were to lose Eriksen.

Ndombele created our best chance in the first half and several in the second, including the goal. Players need to move because his vision is outstanding. He’s not going to pass the ball to you, but where you should be.

He will turn the ball over occasionally trying to make a forward pass, but he makes up for it in his dribbling and press-resistance.

Last edited:
Thought Villa were OK for a half, but they had a lot of defending to do in the second half even though we didn't really create much and once we ramped up the pressure there was only one winner.

He wasn’t awful. Arguably at fault for their first. Gave the ball away a couple of times. Those are the ones I remember. But he wasn’t awful.
Had some great moments as well. Deserved better finishing on that early cross. Was in amongst it going forward in large spells. He's always going to struggle in matches where we dominate possession and the opponents are parked. Like most wingbacks, he shines in more even games full of give and take.

Since we didnt get dybala, I hope that means the club think they can no longer let eriksen go, clearly we wanted le celso and another attacking player - given we didnt get that I think eriksen might stay
That’s why I hoped we were in for Fernandes. Unless we are fully fit, we are short on AMs/Wingers.

If Eriksen stays I am very excited for this season.

I accept a lot of what you say about today's game but please don't expect me to swallow this bit.....
Liverpool emphatically won last night against Norwich, going 4-0 up and City went to West Ham and stuffed them 0-5. If you cannot be 'at the races' on the first day of the season then it does not augur well for the months ahead.
These are professional footballers not the cars of yesteryear that you bought brand new and had to have a sign in the window saying "Please pass, running in" for the first few weeks.
Let's just hope it's a lesson learnt and we approach next week's match with guns blazing right from the start. I am not advocating a 'gung ho' approach but would like to see positive play mixed with cautionary defence work.

Liverpool weren't any better than us. In fact, I think we were probably better. Unfortunately we didn't get the rub of the green and gifted a few goals like they were.

City are a different animal. We are no where near their level and likely won't be until Guardiola is gone.

Then again, maybe I was watching a different game. One where we didn't have 70% possession, 14 corners, 31 shots and scored 3 goals.

Comparisons with Pool & City are a bit silly

It's very early.

Pool a gifted an own goal to start the hammering

City were in a very tight game for a good 30 mins and had a bit of luck

We had a bit of bad luck (Rose slip)

Back
Top Bottom