Jewish chronicle article on Spurs and the Y-Word

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I filled in the survey, and like others have suggested here, it's obvious the conclusion they're wanting to draw. I felt that the quotes used were out of context or seemed like very partial passages to get to that result.

I'm not Jewish, but I feel as though the context has to be considered. It's obvious that there's absolutely nothing negative in its use at football. I believe that what should be stomped out are the completely obvious vile and disgusting anti-Semitic and racist actions we see. If there's a debate or questions, why start there? Start with the fools singing obviously terrible things, hissing and that kind of garbage.

But really Jewish faith does need to show more ownership and direction on this, as one minute I’m being told I’m a Nazi while the next I feel I’m stood shoulder to shoulder with those offended. Sort it out.

I see your point, but as we've seen recently in politics (and no intention of hijacking this thread) there is no 'one voice' that can speak for the whole Jewish community. I think it needs to be a set % of Jewish fans who make the decision - not the Jewish community as a whole.

Edit - as a further point. If, for example, Chelsea and West Ham supporting Jewish people want us to stop using the phrase because it encourages antisemitism among their fan base... maybe address that concern closer to home?

All the time it's legal I'm a proud Yid!
Very biased quotes in the 30 sections I thought?
My final summing up was that we started showing solidarity at a time of Alf Garnett etc and really nothing has changed.

I haven't read the article but the Y word is a hate word and should be treated exactly the same as the N word. I don't need a bunch of non jew Spurs fans telling me they are doing it for my benefit. Shut the fuck up.

I’m Jewish. I’m not offended by the use of the term Yid by Spurs supporters and used to do the chants that involved it. But a couple years ago I decided that it only stokes anti-Semitic responses from other clubs’ supporters, so I’ve stopped saying it.

It’s misguided to expect Jews to somehow sort it out amongst themselves. We’re all individuals with our own unique beliefs.

I haven't read the article but the Y word is a hate word and should be treated exactly the same as the N word. I don't need a bunch of non jew Spurs fans telling me they are doing it for my benefit. Shut the fuck up.

the point is you all say it because you LIKE to say it. No other reason. You may try and convince yourself it is for a noble cause but it isn't. You just like it and it is racist.

:myword:

I see your point, but as we've seen recently in politics (and no intention of hijacking this thread) there is no 'one voice' that can speak for the whole Jewish community. I think it needs to be a set % of Jewish fans who make the decision - not the Jewish community as a whole.

Edit - as a further point. If, for example, Chelsea and West Ham supporting Jewish people want us to stop using the phrase because it encourages antisemitism among their fan base... maybe address that concern closer to home?
Yep I agree with that mate. I challenged a couple of Jewish Chelsea and one Jewish West Ham fan (not a mate) to wear thier skullcaps to a home match, there is absolutely no way they would do that. I’ve then offered my ticket for a match in exchange that they where their skullcap to our game, they absolutely can’t get thier head around the fact that they will be able to do such a thing. For me that’s an acid test, forget even the argument about context, how do you feel as a Jew attending White Hart Lane, do you feel safe, do you feel accepted, do you feel part of something like a stand for good? They think I’m lying and are left speechless.

Last edited:
I’m not Jewish, have no interest whatsoever in religion.
I think this is a very thorny issue where, whatever the outcome, it’s impossible to please everyone.
I do agree, though that the focus needs to be more on the anti-Semitic abuse in football than on Spurs fans calling themselves the Y word.

As a nonjew, I dont feel I should say it. The jews can 'own' the word if they want like the blacks do with the N word. I dont go around saying 'sup my ni...' to anyone even if I wouldnt use it as a derogatory word.

This is not an easy subject, I think you have to take away the perspective from other fans, so whatever approach Spurs take needs to be independent of noises from outside. The likes of David Baddiel and Matt Lucas have caused the argument further damage as, while they are Jewish, they both face justifiable arguments of deflection because the antisemitism is coming from their own team's fans and their narrative, for that reason, appears misguided.

The word 'Yid' is offensive because you would not use it outside a Spurs context. In a Spurs context it is clearly not intended to cause offence and it's origins are from a good place but it probably has ceased to be relevant to the identity of our fans or the surrounding area.

I would like to say I've never sang it and I try not to, but when we score I'm sure I have joined in the chant because it's infectious.

There is also something which I also think about, when football and the world becomes increasingly homogonised this identification sets our club apart from others and it's a genuine part of the history of Tottenham Hotspur.

On balance I think it's something that will be used less over time but on my survey I said I felt the club would be very ill advised to ban the use of it, that will just create a situation where fans rail against it and that won't help or stop it.

It should be up to each individual whether they should sing it (UNLESS of course a majority of Jewish Spurs fans think it should stop). Bannings and such like should never come in to it. If people feel that it has outlived its utility or that stopping it might stop anti-semitism or whatever, then they can make an individual choice not to sing it. The club does not need to do anything. It's a matter for the fans to decide. Ultimately it will fade away if fans don't think it's the right thing to do.

I also think the issue lies with some fans of other clubs not being fully informed of the history of the word.

They see spurs supporters use it as an identity and immediately they think its an opportunity for them to use it in a derogatory manner just because we are a rival team.

Personally I don't think there is enough education of the history and meaning of the word from other clubs, but also from our own fans.

I got the survey and filled it in.

Have to echo everyone elses thoughts on here about the composition of it, very much designed to try and change people's opinions to what the club wants to hear, so they get an easy life basically.

Do you have a list of other words that your arrogant, self-appointed, politically correct self finds unacceptable? ... might I suggest you role that list up and shove it as far up your arse as it will go ... what's next you going to bring in the thought police?

You are perfectly entitled to have your opinion, but neither you nor I are entitled to tell everyone else what to think. Fascist much?

Last edited:
Not sure that the "designed to try and change people's opinions" is at all what many people are thinking ...

This survey wasn't subtlety trying to steer us towards saying the Yid word was bad, it was screaming that at us in a very obvious and totally transparent way ... wouldn't mind betting that a lot of us who might have been inclined to go agree or mildly agree went full-on strongly disagree because no way are we having some poxy survey tell us what we should think ....

The results will therefore probably be skewed in completely the opposite way to what many are suggesting, maybe that was the plan all along.

Do you have a list of other words that your arrogant, self-appointed, politically correct self finds unacceptable? ... might I suggest you role that list up and shove it as far up your arse as it will go ... what's next you going to bring in the thought police?

You are perfectly entitled to have your opinion, but neither you nor I are entitled to tell everyone else what to think. Fascist much?

You see, you're upset that your little racist chant may be taken away aren't you?
I do have a list of hate words - it's the same list that all non racists have.
Why don't we chant the N word - afterall, Tottenham is an area with lots of black people. They'll love the Spurs fans reclaiming the word on their behalf.
"du, du, du, dududududu N*******!"
Danny Rose and Ndombele will be so grateful as well. Davinson, Wanyama, KWP will all be crying tears of joy as we all empathise with them.

N***** Army!

Hopefully, this shows the stupidity of your racist arguments.

But as I say, people LIKE to say it, and they will continue to do so - because they are racist and don't care.

You see, you're upset that your little racist chant may be taken away aren't you?
I do have a list of hate words - it's the same list that all non racists have.
Why don't we chant the N word - afterall, Tottenham is an area with lots of black people. They'll love the Spurs fans reclaiming the word on their behalf.
"du, du, du, dududududu N*******!"
Danny Rose and Ndombele will be so grateful as well. Davinson, Wanyama, KWP will all be crying tears of joy as we all empathise with them.

N***** Army!

Hopefully, this shows the stupidity of your racist arguments.

But as I say, people LIKE to say it, and they will continue to do so - because they are racist and don't care.
Do you use the word Goyim?

Back
Top Bottom